img_7573-jpeg.840877
IMG_7569.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7572.jpeg
    IMG_7572.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

nickw

Adventurer
The “New Landcruiser”. 2.8L 4cyl turbo, about 5 hp and 5 ft-lb more than V8 4.5L turbo diesel.
In Hilux does ~29mpg, new owner hopes for 23-24.
Comes only with 6 speed automatic.
So all new 70's have that smaller TD and auto....are they phasing out the 1HZ / H55 combo? Lots of plastic under that hood for a 70....

The H55 went away many years ago. Yes, the engine options now are: 4.5L V8 turbo diesel, the new 2.8; and I’m not sure whether the 4.2L petrol L6 has been replaced by a 4.5L V8 or not.
I asked Kai Gorn if he thought the 6 speed automatic had a low enough 1st gear, he answered in the affirmative. It’s a demo/loaner from the Windhoek dealership just for a few days, but he did a little offroading around the campground they run. The place where I store my U500 camper is quite an operation.
Met some Italians fulltiming in a big MAN 4x4. Met some Germans who just replaced the entire gearbox in their U1300. And all the Mog people were fascinated with my 9 channel gearbox temperature monitoring system (portals, diffs, trans&transfer, engine oil).IMG_7575.jpeg
Below is an Iveco Daily camper stored in the stall right next to mine.

nickw

Adventurer
The H55 went away many years ago. Yes, the engine options now are: 4.5L V8 turbo diesel, the new 2.8; and I’m not sure whether the 4.2L petrol L6 has been replaced by a 4.5L V8 or not.
I asked Kai Gorn if he thought the 6 speed automatic had a low enough 1st gear, he answered in the affirmative. It’s a demo/loaner from the Windhoek dealership just for a few days, but he did a little offroading around the campground they run. The place where I store my U500 camper is quite an operation.
Met some Italians fulltiming in a big MAN 4x4. Met some Germans who just replaced the entire gearbox in their U1300. And all the Mog people were fascinated with my 9 channel gearbox temperature monitoring system (portals, diffs, trans&transfer, engine oil).View attachment 840981
I thought they still used the H55 with the 1HZ is some models....maybe I am thinking H150/151?

HUMMER/Expeditions

Met some Italians fulltiming in a big MAN 4x4. Met some Germans who just replaced the entire gearbox in their U1300. And all the Mog people were fascinated with my 9 channel gearbox temperature monitoring system (portals, diffs, trans&transfer, engine oil).View attachment 840981
Explain to me something, what’s the fascination with Germans and those 20 ft tall trucks ?
This thing can’t follow me 40 yards without rolling over,

Last week crossing mazurka canyon in Sierra Nevada region there was one of those tall Things with German plates, it was struggling to go even a tiny obstacles we thought he was gonna roll , we were forced to be stuck behind it few miles.

Maybe in Europe overlanding is what RVs do in USA 🤷‍♂️

Mine is 11’8.5”, not 20’ tall. Shorter than a class C with enormous AC on top, they usually have at least 2, along with 1-200ah batteries which makes it useless off grid.
In 18 years I’ve had to detour exactly twice due to height in 114k miles traveling through NA, Australia, southern África and to Mongolia and back. One time was due to daughters desire to go to downtown campground in Strasbourg to walk to a Michelin restaurant. They let us in through an alternate gate.
Come follow me through Central Kalahari Game Reserve or up to the Kunene in NW Namibia, in a class C or a Marathon Prevost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk