New AluCab ModCap Family

Has anyone been inside one of these things at Expo or elswehere? (The one with the hinges on the driver side) Since they seem to be reluctant to offer a straight popup, this seems superior to the wedge. Wondering if anyone has first impressions to add. Thanks.

lunchwagon

Great concept. I was wondering when someone would incorporate the iKamper style side opening RTT into a canopy camper.

Dave in AZ

It looks like a rooftop tent just bolted onto a canopy. Doesn't look like it has a passthru. Zero advantage over any old rooftop tent?

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
It looks like a rooftop tent just bolted onto a canopy. Doesn't look like it has a passthru. Zero advantage over any old rooftop tent?
Yeah, I can't quite figure out the advantage. I had an Alu-cab RTT for 7 years. I liked the alu-cabin in theory but the bed is too small (for us) and I didn't like the idea of dealing with the amount of condensation that would happen in PNW.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I have the top section of the wedge ModCap and Yes it has a pass-through. We are playing with it at the shop to see if it could be used as a poptop option for Econolines. Alucab makes some BEAUTIFUL stuff and can't wait for the family version

fourfa

Observer
Here's their walkthrough video showing the passthrough hatch

One of the things we love about our wedge Canopy Camper is that setup is two latches, push up, finished in seconds. Setup shown in this video is much more complex - unlatch, lift lid, fold out the extension, unscrew a bracket, loosen a strap, line up and insert a pole, put a strap through a cam buckle, cinch down the strap, insert three rainfly supports (strictly optional on the wedge), clip and tighten the fly tensioners. Just a small thing to weigh against the extra space.

Here's their walkthrough video showing the passthrough hatch

One of the things we love about our wedge Canopy Camper is that setup is two latches, push up, finished in seconds. Setup shown in this video is much more complex - unlatch, lift lid, fold out the extension, unscrew a bracket, loosen a strap, line up and insert a pole, put a strap through a cam buckle, cinch down the strap, insert three rainfly supports (strictly optional on the wedge), clip and tighten the fly tensioners. Just a small thing to weigh against the extra space.
All good points.

smbisig

Adventurer
Yeah, I can't quite figure out the advantage. I had an Alu-cab RTT for 7 years. I liked the alu-cabin in theory but the bed is too small (for us) and I didn't like the idea of dealing with the amount of condensation that would happen in PNW.

If you are in the PNW then one of the biggest advantages is that you can hang out in the back if the weather turns to crap. Sure you could do the same in a rooftop tent, but I would like to be able to stand up whenever I wanted to and not have to climb down a ladder to do so. I have the standard canopy camper and many times have hidden from the weather in the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design