New Chev Express 3500 IFS Conversion

Clydesdale

Observer
we have not had any problems with door clearance on the chev yet. Not like the ford were we have had to redesign the sliding door hinge.

simple

Adventurer
Clydesdale,

You stated that the GM IFS conversion retains factory wheels. Do you retain the original rear axle as well? Are the front and rear track widths the same after conversion?
Seems like on the Fords, people have to swap the rear axle, or use an adapter on the factory rear axle to achieve the same front and rear wheel bolt pattern and track widths.

Thanks,

Simple

Clydesdale

Observer
Yes the oem wheels do work well after the conversion. the rear axle stays factory with no changes. The front track width get widened slightly. About an inch per side. There is no need for spacers or adapters anywhere on this conversion.

Clydesdale

Observer
Thanks Agile, i believe one of my customers is or will be contacting you about your electronic shift transfercase mod on fords. he is building his van right now using our parts.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Very cool.

I'd assume in most cases the increase in tire size is not significant enough to warrant a change in gearing? Any cases where customers are ordering a gear change?

Last edited:

Clydesdale

Observer
we have regeared alot of them and offer it as part of the conversion. the vans come in 3:42 and 3:54 gear ratios which we cannot buy the front diff with those ratios so we usually regear to 3:73, we have done a few to 4:10 as well

fshbrane

Do you guys service many American customers? Is there a big hassle at the border crossing? I'd be curious to find out what they paid in duties/taxes when crossing back over into the US. Also, thanks for all the information and quick replies. This is great!

Clydesdale

Observer
we have sold conversions to customers in hawaii and washington. as far as i know you just have to pay any applicable taxes and duty. here is a quote from the free trade agreement:
The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) went into effect in 1994. If you are returning from Canada or Mexico, your goods are eligible for free or reduced duty rates if they were grown, manufactured, or produced in Canada or Mexico, as defined by the Act.

Right now is a perfect opportunity for US residents to purchase in Canada because your dollar is worth so much more than ours.

As for tires defenderbeam the 255/85 would work well. we have not installed that particular size yet but it is close to a 285 in height but slightly narrower. anything in a 33-33.5" tall tire works perfect. 34-35" tire needs slightly more lift which we can do also.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
we have sold conversions to customers in hawaii and washington. as far as i know you just have to pay any applicable taxes and duty. here is a quote from the free trade agreement:
The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) went into effect in 1994. If you are returning from Canada or Mexico, your goods are eligible for free or reduced duty rates if they were grown, manufactured, or produced in Canada or Mexico, as defined by the Act.

Right now is a perfect opportunity for US residents to purchase in Canada because your dollar is worth so much more than ours.

As for tires defenderbeam the 255/85 would work well. we have not installed that particular size yet but it is close to a 285 in height but slightly narrower. anything in a 33-33.5" tall tire works perfect. 34-35" tire needs slightly more lift which we can do also.

Good to know. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp