New Chev Express 3500 IFS Conversion

Clydesdale

Observer
to my knowledge a 33" will not fit under the body. possibly with some reworking of the crossmembers but i would
have to have another look. no chev vans here right now to look at currently

fshbrane

to my knowledge a 33" will not fit under the body. possibly with some reworking of the crossmembers but i would
have to have another look. no chev vans here right now to look at currently

Thanks Brady. I'm planning on doing a rear bumper this year and your 4x4 conversion next year. I'm trying to decided whether to do a tire carrier and 1 box or 2 boxes on the bumper. My van has the 4.8L. Do you think 33's would be too much for it? Would some 265/75R16's be a better idea?

Clydesdale

Observer
Thanks Brady. I'm planning on doing a rear bumper this year and your 4x4 conversion next year. I'm trying to decided whether to do a tire carrier and 1 box or 2 boxes on the bumper. My van has the 4.8L. Do you think 33's would be too much for it? Would some 265/75R16's be a better idea?

If you wanted to run a 33" i would consider running different gear ratio, possibly 4:10 ratio. that would help compensate for the larger tire and small engine

Clydesdale

Observer
Here is a new add poster that we just did up to promote our van conversions. Really good response out if is so far. it hits home for alot of people that enjoy camping.

11998958_1032676343431505_2851418882460201861_n.png

Last edited:

Wheeliee

I want to convert my 2015 express 3500 to 4x4 but want to do it myself. Is your company willing to work with folks wanting to do the swap themselves and providing the required prefabbed parts you manufacture in house as a kit yet?

Clydesdale

Observer
Currently we do not have a way to supply the parts to outside sources. Unfortunetly i cannot help you out at this point with that. We are however busier than ever doing these conversions in house.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
Still busy with Chev/GMC van conversions?

Hey there - been poking around checking out your Chevy/GMC conversions and am wondering if you're still doing them, if all still IFS, and what the current deal is for a US van to be done by you and brought back to the states, mid-late 2017.

I have a 2008 GMC Savana 2500 long wheelbase 6.6 Duramax that has been well-maintained. Still clean, runs great, and have had it all over US and Canada. I am 2nd owner after Penske Leasing had it for light use in the south. Those guys provide legendary maintenance, and evidently upfitted some of the suspension (and maybe drive train?) to be more like a 3500, or so I was told.

In any event, I've been driving it for several years with absolutely no problems and am hoping to have a 4x4 conversion done. As you know, a lot of 4x4 conversion companies will only mess with Fords. I love Duramaxs and the longer wheelbase. They're all I've driven for the last 12-13 yrs (this is my 2nd). My usage will be mixed; mostly the desert southwest with no extreme off-roading or rock-climbing or competition, and probably a lot of back and forth over the surface roads around North America, including runs in winter to New England and Canada.

If I don't see a reply here I'll poke around more or contact you directly. Asking here first, because if you're still doing great GMC van conversions, more people need to know!

Thanks man,

Road

Currently we do not have a way to supply the parts to outside sources. Unfortunetly i cannot help you out at this point with that. We are however busier than ever doing these conversions in house.

Last edited:

Clydesdale

Observer
Thanks for seeking us out. Yes we ares till very actively doing these chevy conversions with IFS. Results have been good, and customers have been enjoying them. Here is a link to our facebook page for multiple examples of ones that we have finished https://www.facebook.com/Sportsmanlighttruck/. Pricing is currently $16,100 CAN. And yes we do not mind conversions on older used units. Please email me at Brady@sportsman4x4.ca if you have further questions.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
Thanks, Brady - much appreciated. I'll get in touch via email to determine scheduling and set things up.

Yessah, really looking forward to this.

TheYodler

The Duramax builds you have done, does that include the new 2.8 liter duramax? What kind of power are those vans making? We do moderate towing with a travel trailer that is roughly 4500 empty 7500 Gross. With a 4 wheel drive kit and the towing would it be better to stick with the 6.0 liter gas?

Clydesdale

Observer
Yes we have converted one of the new 2.8L duramax vans to date with a few more booked in. They seem decent on power thanks in part to the new 8 speed transmission. We also increase the gear ratio in the differentials to 3.73 ratio which usually will get you a bit more pulling power. We can also install 4.10 ratio depending on what height tire you want to run after the conversion.

I would say they are fairly comparable to the 6.0L. They are down on HP but they have more torque than the 6.0L does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp

Members online