New Chevy Colorado, This thing is SEXY!!

dave1014

Adventurer
If they actually make that a production vehicle I will order it immediately. Ford also needs to bring the global ranger here

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just drove a Z1 4dr
posted my notes here. http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-Any-plans-for-a-review?p=1713913#post1713913

My walk away thoughts? Only reason Id go Colorado is for the diesel. I just felt the little details were lacking and missed. Toyota and Nissan should have no issue offering better mid size trucks with more attention to things like seat cover materials, the Z1 interior cloth/ fake fo leather combo reminded me of the 80s sweaters with fake plastic leather elbow patches. The lower trim model with cloth looked and felt better made with better quality material.
midget battery in the z1 I laughed. Its smaller than the stock battery in my 2010 Subaru.
I think GM can do better and will need to do better. Up the game with lockers and running hardware in lower trim models or get serious about the Z1 and put better materials in it.

I liked the size, liked the quiet ride, steering feel was really well done. Nice tight turning radius, decent sight lines. I liked the truck, but in typical gm style, the details were all lacking.

GMC dealer didnt have Canyons yet
I hope the GMC version addresses the missing details, if so I would expect the Canyon to be the better choice and better seller.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

I haven't looked at one of the new ones in person but I agree with the lack of the little details with the first gen Colorado. I test drove an '06 or '07 and felt really cheap compared to my '97 S10, which just felt more quality in feel. Textures and materials just felt better. Guess we'll how well it does.

Kaisen

Explorer
Toyota and Nissan should have no issue offering better mid size trucks with more attention to things like seat cover materials, the Z1 interior cloth/ fake fo leather combo reminded me of the 80s sweaters with fake plastic leather elbow patches.

You do realize that ALL of the "leather" in the current Toyota Tacoma is fake.... all vinyl "SofTex"

Clutch

<---Pass
You do realize that ALL of the "leather" in the current Toyota Tacoma is fake.... all vinyl "SofTex"

Didn't think you could get fake leather upholstery in the Tacoma...only on the steering wheel, just some version of cloth for the seats.

The Tundra however...

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer
Just drove a Z1 4dr
posted my notes here. http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-Any-plans-for-a-review?p=1713913#post1713913

My walk away thoughts? Only reason Id go Colorado is for the diesel. I just felt the little details were lacking and missed. Toyota and Nissan should have no issue offering better mid size trucks with more attention to things like seat cover materials, the Z1 interior cloth/ fake fo leather combo reminded me of the 80s sweaters with fake plastic leather elbow patches. The lower trim model with cloth looked and felt better made with better quality material.
midget battery in the z1 I laughed. Its smaller than the stock battery in my 2010 Subaru.
I think GM can do better and will need to do better. Up the game with lockers and running hardware in lower trim models or get serious about the Z1 and put better materials in it.

I liked the size, liked the quiet ride, steering feel was really well done. Nice tight turning radius, decent sight lines. I liked the truck, but in typical gm style, the details were all lacking.

GMC dealer didnt have Canyons yet
I hope the GMC version addresses the missing details, if so I would expect the Canyon to be the better choice and better seller.

what do you drive now? (gives context for your review)

I haven't looked at one of the new ones in person but I agree with the lack of the little details with the first gen Colorado. I test drove an '06 or '07 and felt really cheap compared to my '97 S10, which just felt more quality in feel. Textures and materials just felt better. Guess we'll how well it does.

I've owned one of every S-10 built (1st gen in all sizes, 2nd gen, all sizes), I tend to agree with you, however, I hated the 4.3, thought the 2.8 was okay except their nasty tendency to run out of oil - so with the canyon and its 5 cylinder that was a welcome change. Still when my Hummer gets another 50k miles, I'm putting it back to stock and trading it and my 83 diesel in for a diesel pickup (2 years from now). I like them, they're still too big, but they're far easier to deal with than a full size.... with that said, I'm going to go test drive one in a few days - and I'll drive my 83 then snap a picture to get an idea of what the relative size differences are...

Kaisen

Explorer
Didn't think you could get fake leather upholstery in the Tacoma...only on the steering wheel, just some version of cloth for the seats.

The Tundra however...

"SofTex® seat material

Technology can still be luxurious. Tacoma Limited offers front and rear seats trimmed with SofTex®, a revolutionary material that is soft like leather, but weighs half as much. It's also easier to clean and more eco-sensitive than normal synthetic leather."

calicamper

Expedition Leader
"SofTex® seat material

Technology can still be luxurious. Tacoma Limited offers front and rear seats trimmed with SofTex®, a revolutionary material that is soft like leather, but weighs half as much. It's also easier to clean and more eco-sensitive than normal synthetic leather."

Yes actually we had a 1979 VW Dasher with the very same material great stuff very comfy very durable and looks good even 12yrs later. Mercedes uses it also pretty standard trim for the GL models. Good stuff

Where GM messed up was doing a combo cloth fo leather seat which harkens back to the 80's of poorly built GM products, even felt horribly cheap and in the Z1 no less. The lower trim model with the cloth seat covers looked more modern and the cloth felt higher quality. Which case I'm not sure why a true truck guy would bother with the Z1 package when you could save money get a lower trim package then build the truck you want, decent seat covers, front & rear lockers ARB etc and not be paying for the costly fluff that won't survive typical truck use.

Clutch

<---Pass
"SofTex® seat material

Ahhh...thanks.

Whatever happen to good ol' heavy duty vinyl? :)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The small minor things GM could do to make the Z1 attractive even to the so called Subaru move up crowd, I happen to own a Subaru our second one BTW. #1 Fire the person who designed the Z1 seat coverings and get some quality fo leather in the truck! When my first reaction when I open the door and look at the seat comprised of multiple types of cheap materials no joke my first question for the sales guy was "Ok so does it come with a leather package? He looked at me confused and says Oh no this is our super high end trim." I laughed and told Him Ok so thats $1200 gut and seat cover job on your top of the line rig before I even get in it. I told him I'm going to be brutally honest I have never owned a GM product and the family has pretty much replaced all of the GM products with other brands at this point. I told him I like the size, I like the look and I liked how it drove and its quiet cabin, but GM isn't going to sell a Z1 to a Subaru owner when even my cheap stock fo Leather Subaru Seats are light years better looking and feeling. LOL

Its possible in GM form that the GMC Canyon will offer all the little details they chose to over look in the Chevy Colorado. The tiny little battery under the hood is just going to make any truck or heck even Subaru person laugh when they see it. Seriously? I laughed at it and told him my Subaru had a larger battery. He says well smaller new tech is better, I told him unless GM is running some new fancy Lithium-ion battery that looks like an old wet cell lead acid battery tech thats as old as dirt there is nothing new and high tech about the battery. Easy fix on GM's part but really GM? Come on!

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Clutch the soft tex stuff is a vinyl covering but its made more in the form of a foam backed some what breathable form its quite good and not really anything new given even our 79 VW had it and was actually quite good and looked nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design