New Flip Pac on my 2008 Tacoma

CJCA

Adventurer
Same here. Had to log in to view pics. Happens once in a while with some posted pictures. I don't have a clue why.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I really like these Flip Pacs. I have an 04 crew cab Taco.

My only problem with the Flip Pac is....

I don't see any way to carry kayaks or surf boards. Has anyone figured out a good way to carry big things like this with the Flip Pac?

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
That looks great!:drool: I really dig the FlipPac but have one question, has anyone had experience with them, long term, in sub zero temps?

suntinez

Explorer
I know there are at least 3 that live in Alaska fulltime, talked to one of the owners when I was debating purchasing a rain fly. Know nothing else about how often they're used, how they're stored, or longevity but I seem to recall FRP saying they were going to have (maybe already have?) a distributor in AK.

I've been thinking about racks lately. VikingVince put a custom rack on his, but I'm thinking about on top of the truck cab instead of on the flippac. Need to find one short enough not to hit the flip when it's open though.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I've been thinking about racks lately. VikingVince put a custom rack on his, but I'm thinking about on top of the truck cab instead of on the flippac. Need to find one short enough not to hit the flip when it's open though.

You couldn't possibly be running out of room with that GIGANTE bed of yours???

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Alright, why can I not see the Flip-pac? There is no pictures, just white background...

Is this a forbidden thing for 80 series owners or am I just dub?

I think your 80 may be censoring the p0rn. That thing is HOT.

@suntinez - How much is the rain fly?

suntinez

Explorer
I think your 80 may be censoring the p0rn. That thing is HOT.

@suntinez - How much is the rain fly?

The number in my head is $300 but maybe off $20 either way.

Doc, nope - still plenty of space inside. Was thinking about fuel storage mostly since my pup often rides in the back. I don't want to add front/rear storage - it's already too long!

(edit - I can't see hurleyski's pictures again, hmmm)

Last edited:

hurleyskis

Thanks for all the replies.

I've been busy planning my build out. Keeping it simple just adding a single bench/storage on the drivers side the full length of the bed.

I plan on running a 4 AWG power from the main battery to the front drivers corner of the bed and have a fuse panel there for any outlets etc. I'm not going the dual battery route now but i'll make sure the wiring will be capable of supporting it.

I was going to install a Espar D2 Airtronic but from what i've read they perform pretty poorly at altitude. My house is at 5000' and 90% of the time i'll need the heater i'll be above 6000 so i'm going to just buy a Mr.Heater. I hear they work OK at 7000.

One minor debug issue to take care of before i hit Moab over halloween week....no A/C without truck running. I've read on here a bit and i thought the inverter worked without the truck running or key turned but i guess not.

I'll post some pics of the build when i get a chance.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the replies.

I've been busy planning my build out. Keeping it simple just adding a single bench/storage on the drivers side the full length of the bed.

I plan on running a 4 AWG power from the main battery to the front drivers corner of the bed and have a fuse panel there for any outlets etc. I'm not going the dual battery route now but i'll make sure the wiring will be capable of supporting it.

I was going to install a Espar D2 Airtronic but from what i've read they perform pretty poorly at altitude. My house is at 5000' and 90% of the time i'll need the heater i'll be above 6000 so i'm going to just buy a Mr.Heater. I hear they work OK at 7000.

One minor debug issue to take care of before i hit Moab over halloween week....no A/C without truck running. I've read on here a bit and i thought the inverter worked without the truck running or key turned but i guess not.

I'll post some pics of the build when i get a chance.

FWIW: I've used my diesel Webasto, which is very similar to the Espar, at elevations as high as 8,200' without issue. I just got back from a hunting trip where I was camped at 5,800' and used it approximately 4-5 hours per day. Over the 6-days I only used 1/2 gallon of diesel; night time lows were typically upper twenties to low thirties. Never had an issue with it cranking out good heat.

hurleyskis

Well the first rainy day in who knows how long and much to my dissapointment the flip pac is leaking from the front edge where it meets the bed of the truck!

I've got a call into FRP waiting to hear back. Hopefully they'll take care of this. I have a really good local truck shell guy that i'm sure can get it resolved but for $4K the darn thing shouldn't be leaking.

Luckily there wasn't too much back there other than some wood for the build out. I'll update once i hear back from FRP.

hurleyskis

Well Diane returned my call very fast and checked on with the installers and they may not have put silicon on the front edge and corners. I don't see any in there.

Anyone else with a Taco that can check to see if there is a bead of silicon caulking along the front edge and corners?

I guess with the Tacos she sais they use silicon in addition to the gasket material.

She's offered to send me some, or pay for some. I'm going to the local shell guy and having him take a look regardless.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader

I can't see anyway to carry things as large as kayaks or surfboards though with a flip pac. I am sure you could on the roof if the capper is strong enough....might even be able to on the cab of the truck and clear the flip pac. The thing is you would have to remove the kayaks or boards everytime you flipped the camper open. To me that is no good and I need security. Locking the kayaks/boards to the rack is the best security.

So because of this a flip pac may be out for me in the future. Which sucks because I really like the design of them.

suntinez

Explorer
I believe weight range (depending on model) is spec'd at 250-350 lbs. The weight was a huge factor in why I wound up with a flippac in the first place.

@RMP&O - I agree, can't figure out a simple way to do this either and because of the design you would have to remove whatever you're carrying before flipping. It's too bad because I have a line on an *almost* free canoe, but no way to tote it around.

hurleyskis - let us know what happens. I believe Diane/FRP will do whatever is necessary to make it right. When you bite the bullet and go brand new, you shouldn't be having any issues like that. My Tundra doesn't have any silicon past the gasket, but I do have a triple row of gasket in the area I believe you're talking about. I've never had any leaking issues on mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1