New four wheel camper finch shell

PTO

PTO
I picked up my new finch shell about a month ago from Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Camper. I have only had the chance to use it a few times so far but have many plans for the summer and beyond. I plan on leaving it on the truck for extended times so I did not want the external tie downs always hanging out so I got the rear tie down from Four Wheel camper and built a custom internal front. It has been solid during daily driving and some mild off-roading so far.

Some additions I had from the factory were the Silver Spur Edition, artic package (works well at keeping heat out as well), a fold down bench on the drivers side (so I could see out the big window on the passanger side), LED lighting, a small window on the drivers side (mostly to open the side wall some). A Fantasitc fan over the sleeping area as well as another vent towards the rear for good circulation.

I had a ARB 50qt fridge that was acting up so with help from Sierra Expeditions (Mesa AZ) they exchanged it out for a Ironman 4x4 50L cube fridge that fits perfect sideways with the handles removed (the ARB was larger and took up a lot of floor space). A PETT go anywhere portable toilet fits nicely under the bench.
A dual battery was installed as well as a breaker and fuse pannel and has proved to be plenty of power for the LED's and fridge.

Additions to come: Custom swingout gate with a fold down table on one side and a bike rack and trasharoo on the other side. Custom bumper to protect the rear of the camper from trail and civilian damage. Custom side mounted rack for maxtrax and clothes line.
I had the yakima rails installed but trying to decide if I really want a roof rack or not, if I go with a roof rack it will be a Frontrunner or Rhino Rack to cut weight (aluminum) and the many options for mounting accessories.

Special thanks to
Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Camper for being one of the best dealer experiences I have ever had. Chris /303-431-6611
Sierra Expeditions for putting up with me all of the time and going out of your way to help with anything I come up with.
Will, Kyle, Cliff /866-507-4254

I currently live in Arizona but moving up to Colorado (Boulder, Golden, Denver area) in May. I will be traveling back and forth so if you see me stop and chat awhile.

Patrick

Here's a few pic's so far.

image_zpsda035f51.jpg

image_zps47c3be0f.jpg

image_zps1564c3b0.jpg

image_zps8b3c56cc.jpg

image_zps79d17757.jpg

image_zps9c2c303e.jpg

image_zpsf04763be.jpg

image_zps040d89eb.jpg

image_zpsc49a1461.jpg

Attachments

• image_zpsfd5d9548.jpg
    image_zpsfd5d9548.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

camper101

Observer
Looks nice and I like the bumper idea. Will look forward to your updates.

Stupid question perhaps but what are internal vs external tie downs? Anything to do with attaching the camper to the truck? All I know about are turnbuckles that hold my camper in place.

deadbeat son

Explorer
I plan on leaving it on the truck for extended times so I did not want the external tie downs always hanging out so I got the rear tie down from Four Wheel camper and built a custom internal front.

I'm interested in more details on this. I have been eyeing a Finch for my DCSB, but the tie-down system for these trucks leaves a lot to be desired.

PTO

PTO
Looks nice and I like the bumper idea. Will look forward to your updates.

Stupid question perhaps but what are internal vs external tie downs? Anything to do with attaching the camper to the truck? All I know about are turnbuckles that hold my camper in place.

camper101 the internal tie downs are mounted inside the bed with turnbuckles vs. turnbuckles mounted outside down to mounting points.

I'm interested in more details on this. I have been eyeing a Finch for my DCSB, but the tie-down system for these trucks leaves a lot to be desired.

deadbeat son I'll post some picks today or tomorrow of the internal brackets. I am under the impression that once Four Wheel Camper saw the design they may start offering the same type of set up. I am in the process of building another for Chris at Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Camper but it is taking long then I like due to my move coming up.

deadbeat son

Explorer
deadbeat son I'll post some picks today or tomorrow of the internal brackets. I am under the impression that once Four Wheel Camper saw the design they may start offering the same type of set up. I am in the process of building another for Chris at Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Camper but it is taking long then I like due to my move coming up.

Great, thanks! I talked to Chris last year when I began looking at these, and I figured I could go with the big black plate 4WC offers for the rear tiedown points, and I figured I could engineer something for the front. I haven't bought the camper yet, so I never gave any priority to dreaming up my mount system. I'm excited to see what you've done!

PTO

PTO
Here are some pic's of the internal mount I made for the front. I built the first one out of 1/4'' to make sure it would fit with plans of doing the next one in 3/8" but I have yet to see a need for the 3/8" with the big beefy one in the rear. I did not want to modify the floor of the Finch so I used the recess in the bed.

image_zps6e7f8c27.jpg

image_zps21c8c4c0.jpg

image_zps690816fb.jpg

image_zps8d1b8adb.jpg

image_zps728c79f1.jpg

Nice set up

I especially like the dual battery set up.... I want to do the same when I get the current project complete

question about the front bed tie downs..... I am planning tie downs on my front bed bolts as well..... I was wondering why you need the steel cross member up front.... perhaps I am missing something but don't the bed bolts go straight through to the frame?

Nice work on the bracket by the way.

dmoose

I have the factory loops just on the bed bolts in the front and a homebrew bracket in the rear for almost a year including a fair amount of rough gravel no real issue other than the turn buckles vibrating loose I don't think a bracket prevents that. I'm gonna try some lock nuts although those rubber side saddles on that rear of this setup and many of the other photos I've seen lately are intriguing how does that work ?

All that being said I love the recessed front bracket really nice idea and execution. Better off with more support rather than not enough.

deadbeat son

Explorer
Here are some pic's of the internal mount I made for the front. I built the first one out of 1/4'' to make sure it would fit with plans of doing the next one in 3/8" but I have yet to see a need for the 3/8" with the big beefy one in the rear. I did not want to modify the floor of the Finch so I used the recess in the bed.

Nice work, your bracket looks great!

contento

Observer
Is the diamond plate on the side of the base a factory option, or is it part of the Silver Spur package?

Looks awesome btw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1