New kid on the block! AWD Transit with composite camper AEONrv

clbedford

Forgive me if this has been addressed--I skimmed through the thread and didn't see it, but there are lot of entries.

Now that a few more of these have been delivered, can anyone speak to their offroad capabilities?

There's a lot to like about the Aeon, and the company seems to stand behind their vehicle as an offroad capable RV, but I guess I'm a little skeptical. I know it has a 2" lift and some suspension upgrades, but at the end of the day it's AWD, not 4WD.

No one's intending to rock crawl with one of these--I realize that--but I've driven Medano Pass and Cinnamon Pass in a Tiger RV (based on a Ram 3500 chassis) with no problems. These aren't especially challenging trails, but would the Transit-based vehicle be able to do something like that? Aeon has said that with the lift kit and the tires they upfit that those trails are completely possible.

What do you all think? Anyone really put the Transit's AWD to the test?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Forgive me if this has been addressed--I skimmed through the thread and didn't see it, but there are lot of entries.

Now that a few more of these have been delivered, can anyone speak to their offroad capabilities?

There's a lot to like about the Aeon, and the company seems to stand behind their vehicle as an offroad capable RV, but I guess I'm a little skeptical. I know it has a 2" lift and some suspension upgrades, but at the end of the day it's AWD, not 4WD.

No one's intending to rock crawl with one of these--I realize that--but I've driven Medano Pass and Cinnamon Pass in a Tiger RV (based on a Ram 3500 chassis) with no problems. These aren't especially challenging trails, but would the Transit-based vehicle be able to do something like that? Aeon has said that with the lift kit and the tires they upfit that those trails are completely possible.

I own a regular 2wd transit with a similar set up. Other than in slippery conditions, the limiting factors have been the ground clearance of the rear differential. A transit is for sure not as capable as a F350 or Ram3500 when it comes to off road driving. But they are still very compfortable and economic to drive and own. Regular forest service roads or skihill parking are perfect for the Transit platform.

Spencer for Hire

There is an Aeon FB page for owners and wanabees. I haven't seen much discussion here. At least there you will be getting a lot of firsthand experience. https://www.facebook.com/groups/aeonrv

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
You mean the shock mounts? They really hang down, but raising the lower mount 2" along with a 2" lift and bigger tires can help a lot.
I have the biggest tires that fit and a 2” lift. The shock mounts are lower, that’s true…. But on most roads the center part is always taller than where the tire tracks are. Meaning that the differential has always be my main concern. :)

causa

Adventurer
I have the biggest tires that fit and a 2” lift. The shock mounts are lower, that’s true…. But on most roads the center part is always taller than where the tire tracks are. Meaning that the differential has always be my main concern. :)
That biggest tire being a 30.4" tall 245/75 R16 BFG AT... as is on the AEON RV?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk