New Kodiak Flex-bow VX Canvas Tents (includes two new large triangular side windows)

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
You'll definitely check yours out before me. The VX tent was appropriated by the Christmas committee and subsequently wrapped and placed under a tree last night. :)

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Crom, you and the Christmas Committee will be pleased to know that this tent is AMAZING! Broke mine in this weekend on a 3 day adventure on family property (my 2 year olds intro to camping). Me, 2 kids, my father and my German Shorthair all fit fine with lots of room to spare. The high ceiling makes it feel so much bigger than any tent I've stayed in. The weather was chilly, with a slight mist/heavy fog and the canvas made it feel insulated. We lined he floor with furniture pad-type blanket and helped even more with the insulation. Setup is incredibly easy...if you have a rubber mallet use it for the stakes. More later...baby just woke up.

Crom

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear it. Look forward to anything more you can share. Can't wait to set ours up. I'm also trying to plan an event for some winter camping. Don't yet know if it's going to materialize just yet. We'll see.

reran

Hey Guys, I'm bout ready to order a Kodiak VX tent as well. I spoke to a CS rep at www.competitiveedgeproducts.com today and it looks like they might have another 5% off sale this Saturday. Anymore commentary, opinions and reviews on the Kodiak? I'd love to hear everything, anything and more. Thanks!

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Reran, I can't say enough great things about the tent. I've only slept in it for 2 nights but they were the best nights I've had in a tent. My dad (old Eagle Scout and outdoorsman) couldn't believe the quality and couldn't help but brag to all of his friends about it. The VX windows are super nice and make for great ventilation. The craftsmanship isn't that of typical China made products. I've never been in a Springbar but can't imagine it being better than this Kodiak OR I can't imagine needing something of better quality. Everything is heavy duty. Set up is extremely easy. Just make sure you open the windows upon first set up. Mine came zipped shut and made raising the tent a little tough before I realized air couldn't get in. No biggie though.

Crom

I hope to be able to post some pictures soon of mine. Need some dry weather first.

reran

Colonal,

Thanks for the great review on the Kodiak VX tent. I went ahead and placed the order for my tent and not only received the 5% discount but also bought the ground cloth for a dollar!! What a bargain!! Looking forward to getting the tent next week when I get back from LA. Thx again for the stellar recommendation!

reran

Guess what was waiting for me when I returned home from LA this morning? My new Kodiak VX tent! Unfortunately, I couldn't open it as I had to go work on my Trooper diesel conversion. Hopefully, the Trooper will be ready this Spring but I have a winter camping trip to Amicalola Falls planned next month where I'm looking forward to using the Kodiak. I have no doubt it'll live up to all the great reviews here and elsewhere on the web.

001_zps99adfc54.jpg

003_zpsf547f4cc.jpg

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
It's a heavy son-of-a-gun isn't it? It's much easier to manage when the poles are separated from the canvas. Good luck with it. I can't wait to get mine out again. I've moved on to shopping for a cot. Air mattress isn't cutting it. There are so many options, I'm leaning towards the kamp rite kwik cot for fast set up

Crom

Yeah that carton is heavy! That cardboard is heavy-duty as well, triple walled.

I finally set mine up in the back yard and wet it down per the instructions. The whole family got to hang out and play inside for about half an hour. My toddler of course loves it. After a few days it was all dried and I put it away. I had some time to take some pictures and a video as well. I'm very impressed with the tent and I found absolutely nothing wrong with the construction or quality. It is very well built.

DSC08539.JPG

DSC08570.JPG

I'm pleased to report too that the awning poles are fully adjustable!

DSC08576.JPG

Awning was adjusted so that water would not collect on it and it shed water perfectly.

DSC08575.JPG

Last edited:

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Cool Stuff. When will you be bringing this to DV?

p.s.
Free this coming weekend? hint hint

Crom

Can't wait!

^Yes. Will need the tent for all four of us. The soonest I think we can make DV is probably this November. :) My youngest is now 3 months old, and we're all very much sleep deprived... But with each passing month it gets easier and we are getting closer to going camping. I have almost all the requisite family camping gear now. We'll start out close to home and build upon that experience.

:coffeedrink:
Can't wait!

EDIT: Can't go to DV this weekend... Thx for invite. I pulled all my favors to evac for three days / nights on a group backpacking trip in Feb. The first trip for me in 11 months!

Last edited:
Bringing the thread back from the dead!

Guys that got the VX model; how are you liking them now that it has been a while and got real hot? Any issues?

Crom

No issues whatsoever. It has held up to strong winds, water from the garden hose (lol), and my 3 year old who insists the tent is more of a bounce house while jumping on the air mattress. At night we run buddy heater and we stay extremely warm and comfortable. All in all, We have been very happy with out VX tent. The 10x10 is perfect for us. Looking forward to using it again next month in the high desert. :)

DSC09828.JPG

No issues whatsoever. It has held up to strong winds, water from the garden hose (lol), and my 3 year old who insists the tent is more of a bounce house while jumping on the air mattress. At night we run buddy heater and we stay extremely warm and comfortable. All in all, We have been very happy with out VX tent. The 10x10 is perfect for us. Looking forward to using it again next month in the high desert. :)

DSC09828.JPG

Where did you get yours? No one seems to carry the VX besides Competitive Edge Products are they are back ordered a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh