New member with a big delima any input would be great.

OTR

Adventurer
Is this a roof rack for the camper??? I have found it very difficult to use the over the cab roof rack and camper at the same time:)

jhdavis444

I dont think im getting a camper any time soon. I would rather buy some other things first. I think what i will do is put a rack on the topper for extra storage and to strap my canoe/kayaks too. That way i can build some storage in the bed along with a sleeper platform. I have been getting some great ideas from other posts on this site.

Buy a second beater/commuter car save the miles on the truck for overlanding and make sure the commuter is a automatic trany. Nice big truck for hauling all that gear. We have a Tacoma and when loaded with all the extra gear (Kayak,bikes campinig stuff) is gets full fast and then add a 90lbs dog!

Terrainist

Explorer
Oh definitely keep that truck, jeeeez. Duramax with a manual? Have you lost your mind? Oooop, there was a woman involved. Carry on.

ADKdakota

Buy a second beater/commuter car save the miles on the truck for overlanding and make sure the commuter is a automatic trany. Nice big truck for hauling all that gear. We have a Tacoma and when loaded with all the extra gear (Kayak,bikes campinig stuff) is gets full fast and then add a 90lbs dog!

I can relate, my dakota is the same way. :box:;)

I still think the beater/second car is a good idea. Hell you can even get one of those little go cart hyundai elantra things with a 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty for what, like $8k? Thats what I would do if I could fold up all 6'4 of me into it. I'd be wearing the damn thing instead of driving/riding in it though.

jhdavis444

I have decided to keep it. All of your input has helped a lot. Once my fiance saw all the positive opinions on the truck she wants to keep it as well.

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
You are a brave man, letting your fiance read this thread. I was going to suggest you get a new fiance who know how to shift!:bike_rider:

98roamer

Explorer
Glad to hear that you are keeping the truck, that was a close call. It's a great platform. Bella's and Pat's, Every Mile is a Memory, both have me looking at full size for our next expo rig.

May I suggest that you rent a car in the future and leave her car for her. That's how I lost my Xterra when I drove her Corolla. :)

Be careful about adding a rack to the cap if it wasn't reinforce to have a rack up there.

jhdavis444

Im thinking about a rack similar to this one i saw on one of the posts here.

2500rack.jpg

Do you guys have any thoughts?

OTR

Adventurer
I like it. I also like how it appears to be designed come apart at the top of each post. This could be benefit for better aerodynamics and a lower center of gravity when it's not needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1