New offroading truck!

2500ak

Observer
@2500ak im just skeptical about buying a dodge in general, ive heard bad things about them. Man are there some loyal Dodge owners here though! haha maybe I shouldn't have said that...

Yeah, most of the guys I know who own dodge pretty much just buy dodge. I suppose that should be an indication. Not all that surprising considering the cummins is a true medium-duty engine, unlike the Duramax or the PSD.

I've also heard a lot of people say that dodge trucks are just the wrapper the cummins turbo diesel comes in. Not sure if I believe that, my 1986 D250 was rock solid.

I don't like the ride, and I don't like the interiors, but personally I think they're pretty reliable.

D

Deleted member 12023

Nuff said...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T--gFQmgcw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T--gFQmgcw[/ame]

oxi

Adventurer
If your going to off-road, your priorities should be:

ground clearance
suspension travel
weight distribution and overall weight
approach/departure angles

Until you satisfy those, then you look at power!

alextreme76

Observer
I remember seeing a bunch of the trucks for cheap when I was 16, then I realized what insurance is :Wow1:
H1 Truck $30k

there are tons of hummers out there under $40k, they arent $100k trucks unless they are after about 2000 and have bling.

cmgraves

Observer
I would first suggest the 2003 f-250 with the 7.3 diesel for your needs and budget, and truth online states 18+ mpg.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...2Nm=miles&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national

but the question comes down to what is your priorites:
will you be hauling rocks 15 times, and never haul again, then perhaps downsizing into a half-ton gasser as you mention.

You did not mention the titan. these are great trucks that seemed to get overlooked at times.

If you are more concerned about off-roading, then down size again, and get the tacoma/frontier/jeep, etc. + trailer setup. You will take longer and more trips for the rocks, but it can be done.

In reality, it will be cheaper in the long run to do 40 loads of rock in a smaller outfit versus 10-15 that you could manage in a full size diesel with long term gas cost, maintances cost, etc. that is if you haul these rocks, and then haul 4 times a year there after.

Santino

@alexrex20 like I said, ill go well over 20K for a decent H1 alpha. The one alextreme76 linked me is actually just what I think I need and ill be contacting the seller. As far as calling H2s and 3s carlike, well.. I just dont want to buy a hummer unless its more like a HMMWV than anything else.

@cmgraves i actually saw a Titan on carmax.com I liked but i was skeptical if they were good trucks.. thanks for letting me know!

EDIT: almost forgot, thanks alot alextreme76 :)

alexrex20

Explorer
there are tons of hummers out there under $40k, they arent $100k trucks unless they are after about 2000 and have bling.

yes, there are plenty of H1s out there for cheap, but they are not an H1 Alpha (3in body lift, 37s, Duramax + Allison). a bone stock (read: no bling) low-mileage H1 Alpha is still selling for close to $100k. they stickered for $100k+ brand new.

bjowett

Adventurer
A second gen Tundra will probably fit well. It is by far the most HD 1/2 out there.... beefy drivetrain, big brakes, great power....

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
yes, there are plenty of H1s out there for cheap, but they are not an H1 Alpha (3in body lift, 37s, Duramax + Allison). a bone stock (read: no bling) low-mileage H1 Alpha is still selling for close to $100k. they stickered for $100k+ brand new.

I didn't believe this at first either. But after doing a few searches, the cheapest H1 "Alpha" I found was $116K with 35k.

Granted there is an endless supply of H1's for around 30k.

Last edited:

Ron B

Explorer

All hummers came with 37" tires and can easily fit 38.5's with no mods. The td engines had a 1" body lift (over na engines and humvees) and the Alpha has an additional 2" over the td. Though the amount of lift is really a non-issue since it can be done to any truck for cheap.

It's silly (at least it is to me) to even consider an Alpha -- they are very nice, but also very expensive and only made for 1 year. As mentioned by a few already, earlier models can be had for the high $20's to the mid $30's. The earlier models ('92 to '03) are very similar to the Alphas except the interior trim and the 6.5td/4L80E tranny instead of the Duramax/Allison combo (the '04 shares the same int). The latter interior trim/engine/tranny combo is obviously nicer but not worth the extra $$$ to me. A beater truck can be had for the low to mid 20's but most likely will be a maintenance nightmare at that price. Plan on an expensive 1st year of ownership fixing all the stuff the previous owner ignored. It's a limited run hand-built truck made from '92 to '06 -- there were about 11,000 made so they are rarer than you think. It is a bit more involved (and $$) to maintain than other vehicles...but really fun to own and easy to work on.

rb

LimaMikeMike

Observer
How about a ex-army M1028? Lotsa budget left over to do whatever you want to it afterwards.

http://www.100dollarman.com/trucks.html

Sounds odd, I realise you already owned a tundra, but why ask this question in the toyota section if you want a cross section of opinions?

Speaking of which; does the new Tundra Have a fully Boxed frame?

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
OK...I deleted a number of posts in this thread that are irrelevant, rude, or crude.
Please keep on topic.
If you can't say something constructive, or disagree in a civilized manner, then please don't post anything at all.
Thanks for your understanding and cooperation...

Now, back to the thread...

safari%20copy.gif

Santino

I asked this in the toyota section because there was no "all vehicle types" or something like that section, they were broken into toyotas, jeeps, nissans, mitsus, and a few others....

So I am to understand that the alpha isnt really much better than the 1999 H1 that alextreme76 linked me?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
To the OP: There's a "General Vehicle" section JUST for talk like this... Let's get this "Bummer" talk out of the Toyota Section...

If you're looking to spend that kind of coin... DO a tURBO-Diesel Swap (for that money you could finance a new 4.5L TDV8 :drool: from over-seas) into an 80 series and a 5-speed and you've got a real truck you can live with an actualy take somewhere other then the desert. Better yet, just import a 70 Series and be done with it.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online