NEW RIG: 2012 F-150 FX4

D45

Explorer
Still hovering around 14.8 mpg

Tires were rotated and balanced toady, what a nice smooth difference

The Duratracs definitely got louder as they wear.........truck has around 42,900 on it now

D45

Explorer
Well, in a last ditch effort.........I am going to try replacing the sway bar end links

I still have the clunking and popping noise and two dealers cant find it

From what I have read, leveled trucks tend to be hard on these

I just helped a friend change the end links on his 2011 Silverado........after he had some front end clunking noises. Problem solved

Who makes the best end links for the F150 trucks? I wonder if I should go with polyurethane? Greaseable? Stock or extended?

scootr2200

D45,

Will you document your process for swapping end links?

I am having a popping/ clunking of unknown origin that is felt intermittently through the steering wheel. (2013 FX4 5.0 with Rancho Quicklift).

Mickey

stingray1300

Explorer
If this proves to be true, then it will likely push me to do what I've been contemplating anyway: removing the sway bar altogether. With a stiffer (than stock) suspension, it has been reported to actually handle better, by virtue of the inner tire in a turn doesn't tend to "lift", keeping the tire more firmly planted. And of course, the real benefit, having more front suspension travel off road, which I would love to have.
So "yes please", keep us informed about your results!

Last edited:

D45

Explorer
Used some online coupons and bought some Moog links at Advanced Auto

Definately thicker and much more heavy duty than the stockers

I will get them installed with pics this weekend

They were like $30 each!! The links for my friends 2011 Silverado were $20 for a set

Oh well, hopefully they cure the clank

D45

Explorer
The swap was simple and straightforward

Took maybe 30 minutes......i'll get some pics up tomorrow

The stockers felt pretty tight, not sure they were/are bad

A road test and some miles will verify this

D45

Explorer
Again, simple.......simple install

As easy as removing the top nut and removing the bottom nut, do this on both sides first

Then, just lift up the end of the sway bar about 2" and the stock end links will come right out

I did not have to use a jack or anything, just my cordless impact driver

On the reinstall, it did help to turn each tire/wheel out of the way slightly

The stockers did not have a zerk grease fitting, but these Moogs did

I was kind of surprised that the two mounting nuts were not nylon lock nuts, so I used some blue Loctite on reassembly

The Moogs also did not come with a grease fitting cap, thankfully I have a few on hand

D45

Explorer
20170811_092254_zpsxedifse2.jpg

20170811_092246_zpstlcakfcn.jpg

20170811_210500_zpsjhfwzru8.jpg

20170811_210504_zps0aa3wrao.jpg

20170811_210504_zps0aa3wrao.jpg

D45

Explorer
How about when you drive? Still get the popping noise?

I believe it's still there, yes

Drove the truck tonight and heard it a few times

The creaking noise is when the truck is off and parked. Rocking it side to side creates a creaking noise

I think it's the front shocks or something with the coils

balexander87

Observer
I believe it's still there, yes

Drove the truck tonight and heard it a few times

The creaking noise is when the truck is off and parked. Rocking it side to side creates a creaking noise

I think it's the front shocks or something with the coils

I'll admit I haven't read every post, so this may be a totally irrelevant suggestion...

Regarding the creaking... if it only does it when parked, do you set the parking brake? My rig had intermittent creaking when parked. Finally figured out it only does it when I set the parking brake. Does it when I rock the vehicle side to side, like you said. It's an auto, so only set the brake if parked on something of an incline. It's a 2008 Saturn VUE... so virtually nothing in common with your rig, but just thought I'd throw it out there since the symptom seemed so similar.

Good luck hunting it down. NVH issues can be a bugger to track down :-/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy