new smaller CampingLab tent and awning!!

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Does anyone have any pictures of how these mount? It will be for a custom application and I am curious if it would work.

pray4surf

Explorer
Does anyone have any pictures of how these mount? It will be for a custom application and I am curious if it would work.

DSC01819.jpg

You attach two extruded aluminum u-channels to the bottom of the tent. You can choose to install in either direction. You are also supplied 8 bolts and a special spacer that slide in the extruded channel, 4 per channel - so positioning is limitless. You capture two of these bolts on either side of your mounting point using another supplied spacer and nuts.

Someone has a better term for these items I'm calling 'spacers' - please (brain-fart smiley)

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Thanks for the pic! Can you walk under that awning how you have it mounted? In my case, if I do mount it under the tent on my trailer it will be a little low. So I would need to fabricate some kind of telescoping tubing to raise it a little, maybe 8 inches or so.

You attach two extruded aluminum u-channels to the bottom of the tent. You can choose to install in either direction. You are also supplied 8 bolts and a special spacer that slide in the extruded channel, 4 per channel - so positioning is limitless. You capture two of these bolts on either side of your mounting point using another supplied spacer and nuts.

Someone has a better term for these items I'm calling 'spacers' - please (brain-fart smiley)

pray4surf

Explorer
Thanks for the pic! Can you walk under that awning how you have it mounted? In my case, if I do mount it under the tent on my trailer it will be a little low. So I would need to fabricate some kind of telescoping tubing to raise it a little, maybe 8 inches or so.

Check your PM's...

digitalferg

Adventurer

Never updated with how mine turned out with the Defender mounts I was asking about in the first pages of this thread... And figured since you asked, this is an alternative way to mount the tents.

The tent floor is super close to the roof as you can see. I had to purchase shorter bolts to go from the tent mount rail to the Defender L-bracket as the included bolts would've hit into the top of the roof. I also am planning to add a second bolt for each tent rail to L-bracket.

I really like how it turned out. Unfortunately, I haven't really had the rig offroad since I added the tent so I can't really comment on the way it behaves offroad. I can definitely feel it dragging on the highway after about 65mph and can feel it in heavy crosswinds.

-Ferg-

tent-defendermount1.JPG

tent-defendermount2.JPG

tent-defendermount3.JPG

tent-defendermount4.JPG

dsrtcrzr-2010-01-11.jpg

Last edited:

nater

Adventurer
Never updated with how mine turned out with the Defender mounts I was asking about in the first pages of this thread... And figured since you asked, this is an alternative way to mount the tents.

The tent floor is super close to the roof as you can see. I had to purchase shorter bolts to go from the tent mount rail to the Defender L-bracket as the included bolts would've hit into the top of the roof. I also am planning to add a second bolt for each tent rail to L-bracket.

I really like how it turned out. Unfortunately, I haven't really had the rig offroad since I added the tent so I can't really comment on the way it behaves offroad. I can definitely feel it dragging on the highway after about 65mph and can feel it in heavy crosswinds.

-Ferg-

Ferg,

Are the stock toyota rails strong enough for the weight of that tent, plus 1 or 2 people? I was always told they were not that strong?

Also, did those defender feet fit without mods into our roof rail?

Last edited:

campinglab

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I have a 2008 Toyota FJ with a Bajarack, would this RTT mount to it with no extra hardware? Thanks

Ideally you would want to use the BajaRack Expedition series rack so that the tent sits as low as possible.

If you do have the EXP rack all you need are the 4 rooftop tent brackets supplied by BajaRack with the rack.

If you have the regular BajaRack you can still mount the tent but it will sit on top of the rack's sides so it would be quite high. You might need to figure out some brackets to properly secure the tent to the rack's railing because the supplied hardware will not work very well on the skinny round tubing.

digitalferg

Adventurer
Ferg,

Are the stock toyota rails strong enough for the weight of that tent, plus 1 or 2 people? I was always told they were not that strong?

Also, did those defender feet fit without mods into our roof rail?

The only info I heard was that the factory crossbars were not strong enough to hold much weight. I don't know the weight capacity of the roof or the roof rails, but I'm confident it'll easily hold the weight of the tent both stationary and driving. And I've had myself and a buddy in the tent for a total of about 330 pound (plus the tent weight which was I think 70 pounds) and it felt completely fine. I would wager 500 static pounds would be fine up there, but again, I don't know for certain.

Anyone care to comment further on this? Fernando maybe?--weren't you running one of your tents on a baja rack on a 3rd Gen 4Runner for a while? Any thoughts?

The defender feet fit without any mods into the roof rail as they are specifically made for the 3rd Gen 4Runner roof rail.

-Ferg-

campinglab

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The only info I heard was that the factory crossbars were not strong enough to hold much weight. I don't know the weight capacity of the roof or the roof rails, but I'm confident it'll easily hold the weight of the tent both stationary and driving. And I've had myself and a buddy in the tent for a total of about 330 pound (plus the tent weight which was I think 70 pounds) and it felt completely fine. I would wager 500 static pounds would be fine up there, but again, I don't know for certain.

Anyone care to comment further on this? Fernando maybe?--weren't you running one of your tents on a baja rack on a 3rd Gen 4Runner for a while? Any thoughts?

The defender feet fit without any mods into the roof rail as they are specifically made for the 3rd Gen 4Runner roof rail.

-Ferg-

The factory cross bars are not strong enough but we've found that the rails are. I have a BajaRack mounted to the factory rails on my 3rd gen and frequently put a tent up there with no problems.

I'm pretty sure this is exceeding the factory rating though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design