NTM 2003 kj Renegade

southerncomfort

Hey everyone,
Been a member for a little while now. Haven't posted much, but thought I would post a little info about my new find. With the birth of our second child, my 2005 extended cab Colorado z71 4x4 decided to become too small all of the sudden. Being on two teachers salary's we didn't want to get another car payment. So i decided to do almost an even trade for a 2003 Liberty renegade 4x4. Has a lot more comforts than the Colorado and it has a full back seat. It is also a lot more nimble than the truck. One downfall is it gets worse gas mileage. Currently it is stock, but am starting to create a plan for it. As mentioned the wife and I are both teachers with children so it will be a relativle budget build over a period of time. I'll post some pics when I get them. Current plan is

1. refoam the factor infinity front speakers
2. Jeep neoprene seat covers (The leather is a bit worn, and cold during the winter)
3. Weathertech floor liners
4. Rockfather I 2.5/3" lift
5. RRO Rock sliders
6. Detours Backbone winch moutn
7. Smittybilt xrc-8 winch

1stDeuce

Explorer
Speaker fix is even easier than that... The foam that the cover is attached to comes unbonded from the metal enclosure, and then the thin foam around the cone tears loose where it's bonded to the metal, and allows the paper cone to buzz... I just put some black RTV around the edge of the foam where it was torn, and then stuck the cover back on with the same black RTV. Should last another 5 years or so before the cone foam gives out again. And then I'm just going to remove the stupid speaker-attached amps from the factory speakers and put new speakers in with them glued to the magnet.

One word of caution with the lift, you will need new upper control arms if you don't like to listen to them bang on the spring. Several to choose from.

Have fun with your new liberty!
Chris

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Nice ride (I'm partial to Libbys for some reason:elkgrin:)! I agreewith 1stdeuce, you should look at new upper A-arms to go with the lift. I've been VERY happy with all my parts from JeepinbyAl.com

yellocoyote

Adventurer
Speaker fix is even easier than that... The foam that the cover is attached to comes unbonded from the metal enclosure, and then the thin foam around the cone tears loose where it's bonded to the metal, and allows the paper cone to buzz... I just put some black RTV around the edge of the foam where it was torn, and then stuck the cover back on with the same black RTV. Should last another 5 years or so before the cone foam gives out again. And then I'm just going to remove the stupid speaker-attached amps from the factory speakers and put new speakers in with them glued to the magnet.

I did the RTV trick on the speakers as well, but it only held out for about another year. You can wire aftermarket speakers to the factory amp... sound quality will vary. I ended up picking up another set of 4 stock KJ speakers and wired 2 of them into the amps in the front doors... easy peasy, and sounds good again. Plus, I have 2 extras for when these go bad! :D

x2 on the JBA sentiment. I also run the JBA UCA's - love them.

southerncomfort

I already tried wiring in a new speaker to the amp, had it all set up and everything, but it didn't sound that great. Wish I knew about the using the RTV before I ordered the refoam kit. The kits already on its way. So I guess I will just stick with that. Was only 25 bucks with free shipping. Thanks for the advice on the a-arms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp