OBS F250/F350 Flatbed camper build

YnotDIY

Excited to see you're back. I was honestly a bit bummed when your thread stopped being active.
I'm currently in the process of readying my f350 for a flatbed build and am excited to see you start the build out of wood. I'm actually planning to do the same thing as I feel what has become this kind of standard "square box build" ends up being a bit boring visually.

NOT TO OFFEND ANYONE ON HERE
ya'll obviously know your stuff...

If your wood build ends up as sleek as your current set up it's going to be sick!
can't wait to see it started.
good luck with the new trans!

longroad2nowhere

truck3.jpg

The New John Woods e4OD is in and the truck is on the road again! Such a good feeling. So far it feels great. Definitely better than the old trans. Think I would like to try and get a few more tunes on the PHP. The shift from 2nd to third seems to happen really quickly. Seems like it could rev out a bit more and then it will feel really good.

Now that its running again, Im ready to tear it apart. List of things I will be installing in the next few weeks.

Buckstop bumper
Warn Winch
Banks Intercooler
Teralume Icon driving lights
ARB compressor
Trigger 4 plus wireless switch controller

Wait time on the bumper was 4-6 weeks, and tmw will be 4 weeks, so hopefully that ships somewhat soon, cause I cant really install the other stuff till that shows up. I just ordered the Banks intercooler today. I was gonna hold off a bit because, $$$$, but once I realized I should probably get it installed so I dont have to remove the winch and bumper again down the road. Luckily I sold my Sprinter Van last weekend, so I have a little cash to play with (hench the parts list). I also just found the Trigger 4 plus system yesterday while researching ways to clean up all the wires that were going to be coming from the battery. Its a pretty cool little piece of kit. Significantly cheaper than sPod or switch pros, and wireless mean I dont have to run any cables through the firewall to control my lights and compressor.

Also have some work to do to my boxes. The latch on the box under the flatbed broke (hence the tape) and isnt as waterproof as I'd like. Luckily those kind of projects should be easier soon as I'm moving my shop 10 min from home instead of 45. Gives me more time in the day, and my tools much closer to home. We moved up to the mountains a couple years ago, and have been searching for shop space up here since we moved, and just found one finally. It also has a huge yard, so working on vehicle projects also got a lot easier.

If you like process stuff, I'm better at sharing on IG stories longroadtonowhere

Last edited:

longroad2nowhere

So my Banks intercooler showed up today, and I starting doing some research on the install, and came across something that I hadnt thought about...I have an s&b cold air intake, and it looks like fitting the intercooler with the s&b may cause some issues. People have done it, but takes some modification, but I no one has said exactly what. I know a couple folks in this thread said they had the banks intercooler. Anyone running a cold air intake, and what did you do to fit it?

glock7018

So my Banks intercooler showed up today, and I starting doing some research on the install, and came across something that I hadnt thought about...I have an s&b cold air intake, and it looks like fitting the intercooler with the s&b may cause some issues. People have done it, but takes some modification, but I no one has said exactly what. I know a couple folks in this thread said they had the banks intercooler. Anyone running a cold air intake, and what did you do to fit it?

Had the banks one installed on my OBS with a S&B. My buddy who installed it made no mention of having to modify anything. He did say the lower intercooler boots where a nightmare to get on though.

rruff

Explorer
As for construction, as a woodworker by trade, I am very tempted to do it out of wood, and resin. It would be extremely fun to build, and wood and work quite well if done right, but I do worry a bit about it holding up, and it will likely be heavy.

Not heavy at all. Sandwich panels with wood skins and foam in the middle (can put a thin wood stringer every foot or two for piece of mind and hard points) would be as light as anything. I made a camper with 2.7mm luan skins with an exterior coat of fiberglass that worked fine, very solid... but I'd recommend you use marine ply. Well insulated with a nice wood interior. Just need to be real careful with penetrations and keep the wood dry.

I think you might want to extend the bed over the cab to give you more room inside....?

Also, did you ever get the spring rate for the flatbed mounts figured out?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Still swapping to a ZF-5? I love mine. So much more control, and first gear is great on descents. Hope your healing fast!

longroad2nowhere

Still swapping to a ZF-5? I love mine. So much more control, and first gear is great on descents. Hope your healing fast!
No, funds were low for a while, and when they finally started to come in again I just decided i wanted my truck back up an running asap, so I got a john woods e4OD built. Only driven it a couple times, but feels good so far, but a bit sad i wasnt able to do the ZF5 swap.

longroad2nowhere

Not heavy at all. Sandwich panels with wood skins and foam in the middle (can put a thin wood stringer every foot or two for piece of mind and hard points) would be as light as anything. I made a camper with 2.7mm luan skins with an exterior coat of fiberglass that worked fine, very solid... but I'd recommend you use marine ply. Well insulated with a nice wood interior. Just need to be real careful with penetrations and keep the wood dry.

I think you might want to extend the bed over the cab to give you more room inside....?

Also, did you ever get the spring rate for the flatbed mounts figured out?

Yea I keep going back and forth between doing the cabover or not. Kinda leaning back towards doing it. Doing the cabover out of wood worries me a bit though, seems like I would need a pretty hefty piece of wood to support that, but maybe I'm underestimating the strength the fiberglass will add.

I never figured out the spring rate. Since I have a lighter weight set up on the flatbed at the moment, its all just bolted solid. I'll need to get it figured out once I start building the camper tho.

rruff

Explorer
Yea I keep going back and forth between doing the cabover or not. Kinda leaning back towards doing it. Doing the cabover out of wood worries me a bit though, seems like I would need a pretty hefty piece of wood to support that, but maybe I'm underestimating the strength the fiberglass will add.

The fiberglass is mostly to give it a hard and waterproof exterior coating. If you build the walls (and floor) like sandwich panels, the cabover will be plenty strong and light; continuous support for the skins, everything glued together. I did the cabover on my old one using the same construction as I mentioned above. I curved the sides and top, which made it kind of a PITA, but it was very solid when done.

If you are bored... ;) ... try making a sandwich panel out of cheap stuff like luan skins, 25psi XPS, 1x2s, and PL Premium. Sanding the foam and texturing it seems to help it bond better.

longroad2nowhere

The fiberglass is mostly to give it a hard and waterproof exterior coating. If you build the walls (and floor) like sandwich panels, the cabover will be plenty strong and light; continuous support for the skins, everything glued together. I did the cabover on my old one using the same construction as I mentioned above. I curved the sides and top, which made it kind of a PITA, but it was very solid when done.

If you are bored... ;) ... try making a sandwich panel out of cheap stuff like luan skins, 25psi XPS, 1x2s, and PL Premium. Sanding the foam and texturing it seems to help it bond better.

having a curved side and top is the main reason I have considered wood and fiberglass. The shape of the camper would be so much better than aluminum or composite walls. I actually was thinking about making a sandwich panel as a test a couple months back. Just to see how much it weighed, and how durable it is. My other concerns with using wood are A) its going to be a popup. I know how incredibly strong building a camper this way when fully closed off would be, but have slight concerns when one side is open. B) mounting it to the flatbad. Feel like I would need some kind of metal reinforcement on the floor to bolt it to the flat bed. If this was a slide it, it wouldnt be a big deal obviously, but being a flatbed, i have a some concerns. Also with things like mounting a heavy 35" tire to the back of it, feel like I would want some metal reinforcement for that as well. I'm probably being over concerned about all this. I have a tendency to over build things.

rruff

Explorer
To make curves I cut the foam and the wood edges so I could make them conform to the curved plywood. Not that tough really but more work than a box.

I used wood inside the panel for hard points to attach stuff. Even the base/floor which bolted directly to the frame in 4 spots; it was just 2x4s embedded in the panel (floor was 1.5" thick). Steel hat brackets were screwed and glued and sealed to the bottom of the camper and these bolted to the frame.

It would be easy and cheap to make some samples and see how hard it is to break them. It's a lot of fun actually... (y)

longroad2nowhere

My buddy brandon asked if I'd be interested in helping him build a drawer slide and storage system for his truck. He's very mechanically inclined and I am a woodworker by trade, so I said, how bout you help me get my intercooler installed, and I'll help with your drawers/sleeping deck. A deal was made and he drove down from norcal for the weekend and we got to work.

IMG_6733.jpg

Brandons F150 with caravan camper 12" long travel, custom bumper front and rear and sliders, and some wood up top for the build. We pulled the wood into the wood and my truck into the shop as we had snow in the forecast for Friday evening - sunday evening.

IMG_6735.jpgIMG_6736.jpg

With the truck in Brandon started pulling my truck apart and I started building his drawers. Things got interesting at the very end of friday evening. The Banks kit requires some cutting at the front of the truck. Brandons rule is, I never cut or drill into someone else vehicle. Since I had a lot to do on his drawers, I called in my lady to do the cutting. She is a pretty decent metal fabricator, so I felt good letting her do it. She got the hole cut for the right side, and was three quarters through the left side when the sawzall snagged and jumped and punctured the radiator. Damn. So we quickly got online to see if anyone had one in stock. Napa said they could have one by the next morning. That night we ran into our next slow down. The truck had an additional aftermarket trans cooler that the previous owner must have put in, which is great but it was mounted in the way of the where the new intercooler would sit, so we had to fab up a new bracket to fit it between the AC cooler and the radiator. Forgot to take a pic of that.
IMG_6768.jpg

Next day I picked up the radiator first thing in the AM. We ran all new hoses for it while we were at it. Then wrestled all the new pipes in place. My reverse shackle kit made a few things an extremely tight fit, and def added some time to the process. After we finally got it all buttoned up, We started her up and pulled it out of the garage real quick so we didnt smoke ourselves out when we started it up to try and run the last bits of old coolant out. IMG_6769.jpg

Once we did that we ran into the most fun problem of the weekend. We went to add the new coolant into the radiator, and it just started leaking out the drain plug. pulled the drain plug and it looked like it was missing an o-ring. we searched the box to see if we missed anything, but no luck.

IMG_6772.jpg

There she sat for the night. Bummed we couldnt button it up. Did I mention we got some snow this weekend? Called NAPA in the morning they asked us to send them a pic, and they were like, year thats def not the right plug. They gave us a new one and replaced the coolant I was out cause it leaked, which was cool. Fast forward to today, we got the plug, go to install it, and it wouldnt go in. turns out if wasnt the wrong plug, but half of it had broken off inside the radiator before we ever even pulled it. Now I still cant get my truck running. Called NAPA again and said I wanted to return the radiator, since I'm not in a rush to have brandon help me finish the project, I decided to just spend the extra $150 bucks to get the fully aluminum Mishimoto radiator, since the plastic on this one already caused problems.

So now, Im waiting for that. Should be here by the weekend, and my bumper is supposed to ship this week as well *fingers crossed*. At least the intercooler is in.

Chorky

Observer
The New John Woods e4OD

Curious why you went with a John Woods? I chose a level 2 or 3 from BD performance, they had a good warranty, filter kit, and cooler (although not liking how it attaches).

Also, if i remember correctly I too got a mishimoto radiator a few years ago. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow if you want, but be forwarned theres 2 spots if I remember that you'll have to plug. For some reason, theres two small parts on the bottom of the rad that are coolant ports of some sort, maybe 1/4' or 1/2 holes can't rememer. One is threaded, the other is a nipple. Or, maybe the shop installed the wrong radiator for mine ha.

I'm really going to be interested in the performance of your intercooler. Really thinking I need to foot the bill for one myself too. EGT temps just climb fast.

What buckstop version did you go with??

longroad2nowhere

Curious why you went with a John Woods? I chose a level 2 or 3 from BD performance, they had a good warranty, filter kit, and cooler (although not liking how it attaches).

Also, if i remember correctly I too got a mishimoto radiator a few years ago. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow if you want, but be forwarned theres 2 spots if I remember that you'll have to plug. For some reason, theres two small parts on the bottom of the rad that are coolant ports of some sort, maybe 1/4' or 1/2 holes can't rememer. One is threaded, the other is a nipple. Or, maybe the shop installed the wrong radiator for mine ha.

I'm really going to be interested in the performance of your intercooler. Really thinking I need to foot the bill for one myself too. EGT temps just climb fast.

What buckstop version did you go with??

I was looking at a few options for the e4OD, John woods has great reviews, tons of dudes use his build for baja chase trucks, so i figured it could handle some abuse. His valve body work seems to be really good, but the deciding factor was he was local-ish. If I have warranty issues I can just drive the truck to him. Had a friend who recently paid a lot of money for a rebuild elsewhere, 3 months in it needs a warranty and now he has to pull the trans, crate it, and ship it. After that happened he said, just got local for that reason alone, made sense to me.

Good to know about the radiator. I'll keep an eye on that. I've heard great things about the banks intercooler. Living on a mountain and climbing 5000 ft every time i come and go from it, peace of mind running a it cooler was very important to me.

I went with the buckstop vintage series with grill guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh