OEM style auxiliary switches and increased alternator output

KiwiKurt

Explorer
1- looking to see if there is a company out there that makes varieties of the OEM style aux switches for additional components...(air compressor, aux lights, lockers etc)

I like the factory appearance vs the ARB/rocker/zombielight switch type look.

anyone know where to get those?

2- have folks here found when running a full expedition set up of dual batteries, fridges, lights etc that having a higher output alternator was necessary?

Thanks.

Last edited:

High_Country

Adventurer
When you say you like the 'factory look', what type of vehicle are you talking about? Your 2014 Xterra in your signature? Can you post a pic or link of what you're after?

I really like the look of the "Contura V" switches from OTRATTW www.otrattw.com I think they look very refined, not too clunky or blocky, and seem to fit in with late model vehicles. I have some and they are high quality with positive switching.

As far as the alternator question goes, most people on here have way more experience than I do, but I would bet that your alternator (assuming 2014 xterra) is plenty powerful. Most add-on equipment isn't all used simultaneously while the vehicle is running and even then most of those accessories are very efficient. Now, if you're going to be running 8 pair of halogen off road lights or something like that, perhaps an upgrade is in order. But, for power-sipping devices like LED lights and fridges, I wouldn't be concerned.

Joe's Toy

Observer
For (Toyota) factory looking switches I went straight through a dealership to order duplicate switches that fit into available blanks inside my dash.

But the blanks are few and the switches were kind of pricey. I didn't want the light up "zombie" switches either so I built my own panel that I installed in place of a little cubby on my Tundra. Maybe you can find somewhere similar on your dash?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1