On Board Air Location JK

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
The model / number compressor I have is the Puma PD-1006, and I have a 2013 JK Unlimited Sahara.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-volt-1-5...152?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c19cb6d0

Now thats a hog.. Have no idea where that monster should go.. Unless the aftermarket drop in storage box that locates in the cargo cubby.

Reference:
tub3.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Yep. I seriously thought about that one, but size and power draw made it get cut. Have you considered just keeping it loose in the jeep? It is designed as it sits to be carried around and you would have much more versatility in uses. Just make a good extension cord and plug for it. Then you can also remove it to prevent theft during the 98 or more percent of time you aren't on the trail.

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
Ha darn man.. if one is going to carry that type of setup.. they may as well have a running trail shop.. which isnt a bad idea.. trail shop and supplies even offer quick repairs.

sgregg108

Adventurer
Hey Naters and JeepSafari,

Yep, I've thought about leaving the compressor/tank as is and just strapping it down in the cargo area, and think I may just go that route. I realize it'll draw a lot of power, but I wanted a more stout motor than the Viair or ARB offerings for refilling my 35s. The trail shop isn't a bad idea, and as for the cargo cubby, I'm not ready to drop that kind of coin on the cubby extension and what I spent on the compressor, would have gone the route of the off road only york mount instead.

Ha darn man.. if one is going to carry that type of setup.. they may as well have a running trail shop.. which isnt a bad idea.. trail shop and supplies even offer quick repairs.

Yep. I seriously thought about that one, but size and power draw made it get cut. Have you considered just keeping it loose in the jeep? It is designed as it sits to be carried around and you would have much more versatility in uses. Just make a good extension cord and plug for it. Then you can also remove it to prevent theft during the 98 or more percent of time you aren't on the trail.

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
Well last resort.. a separate storage on a trailer.. this way you can set it up for what ever power draw you need on a different power supply. I have a feeling your unit might get mounted on the roll bar somewhere..

sgregg108

Adventurer
I'm definitely not interested in the trailer, and I'd like to have this on a more secure / permanent mounting point than the roll bar (if I was to mount it). Probably looking at taking the compressor off the tank and repurposing a set of jumper cables for leads to connect to the battery.

Well last resort.. a separate storage on a trailer.. this way you can set it up for what ever power draw you need on a different power supply. I have a feeling your unit might get mounted on the roll bar somewhere..

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
Being that I'm not an electrician.. would a dual battery help in this instance? also what lines are you using to run extension throughout the jeep? would there be a loss of pressure based on these connections or per foot length? I've heard that the farther or longer the line the less pressure.. Someone correct me on this statement.

sgregg108

Adventurer
I'm not sure either, my dad is an electrician, but I haven't yet asked him about wiring this setup. In the basic thought i've put into the actual use of the compressor, I'm planning on only running this when the engine is running, so it won't drain my battery. Also, not sure on the loss of air pressure over the length of lines.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If you haven't already seen them, look for or google the battery cable plugs used in industrial forklift connections. They would allow cables attached to the battery permanently and an easy connect/disconnect. You can connect jumper cables too. That puma doesn't need a lot of wire size, you just don't want it super long. Err on the side of longer hose versus longer wire. It is cheaper, lighter, and more useful than wire.

bluehash

Adventurer
If you haven't already seen them, look for or google the battery cable plugs used in industrial forklift connections. They would allow cables attached to the battery permanently and an easy connect/disconnect. You can connect jumper cables too. That puma doesn't need a lot of wire size, you just don't want it super long. Err on the side of longer hose versus longer wire. It is cheaper, lighter, and more useful than wire.

^Good tip!

mrgeep

I'm planning on putting my Viair 480c compressor in the cargo area of my JKU underneath the passenger side roll bar on the top of the wheel well. I'm still working on the mount for it but it will sit in the bottom half of an old tool box which will be bolted to the mount underneath. As soon as I get it finished I'll post some pics. The compressor instructions recommend a minimum of 8 gauge wire to power it for installation that far from the battery. I also have a dual battery setup waiting to be installed as well. Just need way more spare time to get this all done.

I have a 2 gal tank that came with the compressor (Viair Ultra Duty kit) which I plan on putting in under the Jeep with a River Raider evap skid plate. I haven't picked the skid plate up yet but likely will soon.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I'm planning on putting my Viair 480c compressor in the cargo area of my JKU underneath the passenger side roll bar on the top of the wheel well. I'm still working on the mount for it but it will sit in the bottom half of an old tool box which will be bolted to the mount underneath. As soon as I get it finished I'll post some pics. The compressor instructions recommend a minimum of 8 gauge wire to power it for installation that far from the battery. I also have a dual battery setup waiting to be installed as well. Just need way more spare time to get this all done.
How are you planning to get the wire into the passenger compartment? Are you drilling the floor somewhere?

If you are using the hole next to the brake booster, you might be adding about 7 or 8 feet of wire to go across the jeep and back.

This is one of the main reasons I chose to put my fridge on the drivers side... Shorter wire run. It runs pretty easily below the door jambs either way.

I'll look forward to a picture.

Yuccahead

Adventurer
It's relatively easy to run wire from the hole through the firewall near the booster to the back of the Jeep. Wires already run under the plastic trim that is just inside the doors. From the rear seat in JKU, you can then run it under the carpet to above a wheel well or all the way to the back of the Jeep. The carpet is just held in place by lips in the Jeep body (for lack of a better way to describe it). For some basic instructions on how to do this on the passenger side, see here (the drivers side should be similar):

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/201400.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal