"One Piece At A Time" Build

Joeykayak

Great looking truck! It looks like I'm going to buy a high top conversion also. I am a bit worried about getting my kayaks up on the truck. Any real issues with doing so?

Corneilius

Adventurer
Great looking truck! It looks like I'm going to buy a high top conversion also. I am a bit worried about getting my kayaks up on the truck. Any real issues with doing so?

Ehh its not like putting them on a car but its doable and totally worth it for the headroom. My procedure is to strand them on end leaning against the tire carrier, then climb the tire carrier onto the roof, then pull the boat up after me. A ladder build is on my list somewhere.

Joeykayak

Ehh its not like putting them on a car but its doable and totally worth it for the headroom. My procedure is to strand them on end leaning against the tire carrier, then climb the tire carrier onto the roof, then pull the boat up after me. A ladder build is on my list somewhere.
Also, do you think there are any racks (towers) that can mount to gutters so I dont need to mount brackets on the shell itself?

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Also, do you think there are any racks (towers) that can mount to gutters so I dont need to mount brackets on the shell itself?

Joey, here you go:
http://www.vantech.us/Conversion-Vans_c143.htm
Where it says requires drilling, I think you drill holes in uprights for crossbar mounts to set them at exact height you want. I have the regular stock van version of these and they hold a-lot of weight and have pushed against low tree branches and didn't budge! The company sells rear roller attachments too for canoes or other boats. Have fun!

Corneilius

Adventurer
Small update with a non van project. The wood stove my wife and I used last year was cheap but woefully inefficient. Decided to build my own, turned out great.

Last edited:
Reactions: FMF
nice thread. not big on the color of the van. kinda looks grandmaish are you thinking about painting it? Is the xt in the background yours? nice bike great choice if so

MSD

Well Known Xplor’r
I really like this Grandma van ALOT!!! Nice build it's a sick build brother!!!

Corneilius

Adventurer
So I'm not sure if it's been covered here or not but do you tow with this van?

I have a single axle 7x11 trailer that I use to haul mulch and firewood. Van does fine, haven't had a "real" load behind it yet but I wouldn't be scared too. Might be a little slow up the mountain but its got the 4r100, 4.10s and plenty of brakes.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Had another great trip in the van. Good friends and good times. Now that I've got a summer of use I'm gonna tweak a few things. Going to change dish storage, flooring, and add more storage for some specific items.

Locked gates aint nothing when you've got the codes!

Stay tuned for more tweaks, updates and adventures

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1