Oops

HUMMER/Expeditions

Well our very reliable diesel discovery 5 had a nervous catastrophic breakdown yesterday in one of the worst places,
silver canyon in INYO mountains, if any of you been on silver canyon you know how steep this trail is,
There is plastic housing junction right under the throttle body, all the coolant hoses connect to that and go somewhere to the engine somewhere,
That housing burst open,
( what a shame to use plastic for such a critical part )

thankfully its a easy location to access if you have tools,
The part itself is two sections molded together,

We used vodka to clean the coolant residue, and JB WELD ❤️❤️❤️ to reconstruct the part,
I always have JB with me ( best repair item )

It worked we put 4 gallons of water and continued on the trail before it burst again about mile away, ( it was not hardened enough )
that trail requires low range and first gear, puts lots of stress on the cooling system,

So we were back at square one again,

This time we did something different,
I took out one of the large clamps that holds hummers coolant reservoir ( it has 3)
We used that clump with a new JB weld to hold everything together, we waited about 45 min for the JB to set,
used all our drinking water to refill the system,
At that point we could start the vehicle and back up to a little wider part of the trail.
We parked the rover there, everyone got in the hummer, some on the roof and we continued to explore worlds oldest trees .
After few hours we came back, rover was still there and JB was hard enough to hold water in the system,
Rover was able to turn around and go find another camp site for the night,

Next day discovery was feeling better enough to drive 260 miles back home.

moral of the story is that those plastic components on those newer vehicles can burst at any moment, regardless how well maintained the vehicle is, because those are not part of the maintenance items list and they don’t give any signs they are ready to fail,

If we didn’t have the tools and JB and some engineering skills,
I don’t know how we would possibly be able to get the Land Rover down,

The moment u turn off of this discovery 5, it automatically applies emergency brake, so even if I had to tow him nearly 20 miles , the engine had to be running,

CARRY TOOLS AND REPAIR ITEMS .
IMG_0747.jpeg
IMG_0783.jpegIMG_0777.jpegIMG_0749.jpegIMG_0739.jpeg

Last edited:

rgallant

Adventurer
There is an override for the e-brake, you want to look that up it is pretty critical you know how to disengage it with the engine off.

Those cross over pipes have been a problem since the LR3, you might want to see if the is an aluminum aftermarket replacement.

HUMMER/Expeditions

There is an override for the e-brake, you want to look that up it is pretty critical you know how to disengage it with the engine off.

Those cross over pipes have been a problem since the LR3, you might want to see if the is an aluminum aftermarket replacement.
Ahh I didn’t know there was a override for e brake
we didn’t even have phone service to look that up,
But Land Rover is fixed enough to be able to drive 230 miles back home,

JB weld and a large hose clamp did it 😁💪

The plastic part is 23 dollars at Amazon,
We may have to change it every 50k miles or so

Currently truck has over 145.000 miles.

DieselRanger

Mine is a 2017 with around 90K miles on it...and I've had almost zero maintenance expenses aside from scheduled service, and a couple warranty repairs that were done without issue. Not routinely off-roading in extreme conditions - but I giv'er when I do. Might add one of these to the kit, and already have JB Weld.

145,000 miles since 2019(?) - that is some heavy use. In hot conditions, I can see that contribute to failure - but on all of the Disco 5 / Land Rover message boards out there, this is a first!

HUMMER/Expeditions

Mine is a 2017 with around 90K miles on it...and I've had almost zero maintenance expenses aside from scheduled service, and a couple warranty repairs that were done without issue. Not routinely off-roading in extreme conditions - but I giv'er when I do. Might add one of these to the kit, and already have JB Weld.

145,000 miles since 2019(?) - that is some heavy use. In hot conditions, I can see that contribute to failure - but on all of the Disco 5 / Land Rover message boards out there, this is a first!
We drive the heck out of this dico 5 😃
From 54.000 miles to 145.000 now,
Very very capable vehicle that nobody would believe,

Almost all parts have been replaced or maintained, from timing chain to airbags,
transmission service to airflow system.

this is the first time it kinda left us stranded,

Does the discovery 5 diesel have plastic water pump or it’s aluminum?

If it’s plastic that’s next to blow up, it’s time to change that too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk