Open truck bed and rain?

oguruma

I have a F-250. I'm moving away from my camper shell and going with a Leitner ACS rack.

The cab of the truck will be full with kids and the dog. So, I need a good waterproof storage system clothes/sleeping bags.

Waterproof duffels seemed like a decent option, although I'm not sure I trust them as much as a hard-sided container.

Any recommendations?

Alloy

When canoeing I use 70L roll top (no zipper to maintain/wear out) drybags and/or a 8g or 16g blue barrel. Keep in mind these are all top loading so one needs to pack them in order of what is needed first/last.

All our sleepingt bags are down (takes forever to dry) so they go in EVAC compression drybags from Sea to Summit before going into a larger bag or barrel.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Aren't Decked systems waterproof? Always been a fan of those.

Edit: Found my answer. " The drawers are weatherproof not waterproof. The Decked will keep your gear dry in the craziest of storms and even stay dry while at a car wash. However it is not completely sealed and if you hit it from the back from a low angle you may get water in there. The drawers need to breath to allow water to evaporate."

Last edited:

pith helmet

I have always used a combination of toolboxes (whether mounted or just in the bed) action packer type boxes and dry bags.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Waterproof duffles used in rafting are fantastic, but not cheap. You might prefer a larger solution such as a Platypus from ROLA. Very well made, holds a lot, extremely good at fending off the worst Mother Nature might throw at it (excluding tornados of course)

ROLA also makes a number of square sided soft bags that might fit a truck bed a bit better. Take your pick

oguruma

Just curious.

Why get rid of camper shell?

Couple reasons:
1: The camper shell that's on the truck is in rough shape, and the paint doesn't match - it's ugly
2: Every now and then I get goat-roaped into help something move furniture or something, and taking that shell off the bed is a PITA.
3: Overland rack makes it much easier to load up the kayak/canoe/kids' bikes/whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh