Opinions wanted for my new van

Justaquestion

Hi there, I've been reading a bunch of forums lately with my new van project in mind, but thought I would ask people opinion on a couple of specific vehicles.

Here's what I'm looking to do: Get a van that I will be traveling in on very extended trips, to the point that I will be in all intensive purposes, living in it. So space is important (which is the main thing to rule out converting an Astro van). It also needs to be 4x4 or at least AWD as it will be in the snow during a lot of the winter time as well as some time in Baja off the paved areas. Some major trips it will be doing at some point in its life would be driving up and back to Alaska and to central america and maybe even further south from there. So it needs to be reliable (I'm fairly familiar with older motors and feel pretty confident in fixing most things myself). But then parts need to be readily available in various parts of this country as well as others. Fuel efficiency does matter somewhat simply because I am not wealthy and that stuff ain't cheap these days. BUT, I know you can't have it all, I just want to explain all the things I've been thinking when looking at vehicles. It would just be one or two people, the van build out and our gear. Never towing anything, so I don't need a ton of power.

At some point I would probably be putting a fiberglass high-top on whatever vehicle I end up going with, as well as a small "vanagon style" kitchen and eventually fully powered by solar.

some vehicles I've considered:

- I would prefer a diesel for many reasons, but might just not be that practical, financially, so keeping in mind the possibility of putting a cummins diesel in something someday down the road.

-I think the 7.3 e350's are great. But just way too expensive with a 4x4 conversion, so they are kinda out at this point.

-Astro vans are cheap, very inconspicuous, due to how common they are. Have AWD and are easy to put a little lift on them. Those 4.3 v6 motors are awesome, very long lasting, and anything GM is just so available to find. BUT, I just don't think there is enough space for our long term needs. So they are kinda out for now.

-I loved the idea of putting one of those little subaru ej22 motors in a Vanagon Syncro, but space inside is a little limited, and I don't have an extra 30k dollars for a van in mediocre condition.

-I looked at an old 1981 e150 with an inline 300 and top loader manual tranny with a 4x4 conversion by advanced four wheel drive systems. It has less than 150k miles total. I love that old motor. A timing gear, cast iron heads and bottom end. Virtually bullet proof, and gets better mpg than the heavier vans due to being only a half ton and having that inline 6. Plus, someday if it ever blew up, I could put a cummins 5.9 in it. The cons: While it should be a fairly easy to work on, Ford just isn't as easy to find any old part for as GM, cause everything on a GM is the same as almost every other GM.

-Also looking at a 1976 gmc 1 ton van with an unknown 4x4 conversion, with leaf springs all the way around. New crate 350 motor from GM and a rebuilt 205 transfer case (indestructible). I love how easy these are to fix and how easy parts are for anything on them (very important when traveling through mexico and southern countries). BUT, that 350 in a 1 ton is gonna get 14-15 mpg on the freeway if I'm lucky. I know it's not too popular to say, but I've always kinda liked how practical GM's were compared to fords as far as fixing and parts availability. I've never owned a 1 ton. is it going to be too heavy for loose dirt? I don't need the power of that.

So, my take on these two vans are: they both have pretty bomb proof motors. the Ford has a big advantage on fuel savings. the GMC would be cheaper and more easily available parts and fixing, and has a little bit of a start on the camper conversion already. Not a big deal, but it just probably makes it even a little cheaper then.

What do any of you think about these two vehicles? How about any other ideas that maybe I haven't thought of? or other possible arising problems or issues with these vehicles or travels that I maybe haven't thought of.

I welcome ALL opinions. My thoughts here are not fact, just what I believe from my past experiences with my vehicles. I am open to be convinced otherwise by a more knowledgeable person.

Thanks a bunch in advance. Sorry for such a long post, I just wanted to give all the info I could.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
We had a Quigley a few years ago- very nice rig, but it was a 3/4T w/ the 6.0 diesel- all under warranty. I had traded into it some convoluted way, but we liked it and were getting ready for a lengthy trip, so had it serviced at the dealer, and got to talking to the service manager. All that to say, we found out while it was all under warranty being a Quigley from new, most dealers would not touch any issues on the motor- remember I said 6.0. He explained, if I got this right, the van was designed for the motor to come out the bottom, but with the 4x4 in place, that provision was lacking. In other words, front axle, suspension, and everything drive wise from the T-case forward- had to come out to get to the motor. This may not be the case with the models you are looking at, but worth consideration if you end up doing a motor swap/fix in S America somewhere- traveled there, and if you could find a place, think how long it would be down while you source parts... Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but the choice of vehicle is very important whilst considering such trips. I wish you all the best, both on selection and on the travels!!! I used to do so primarily via motorcycle, but trying to do it now with two little ones is much more difficult considering the 'what ifs'.
It may be worth a message to U-joint (sponsor on the Van section) to confirm what I was told, and if the same applies to what you are considering

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The 1/2ton GM vans came with AWD options. They're lame, but they don't flip over and kill their occupants as often as the Ford Econolines and Astros. LOLz.

Last edited:

Stroverlander

Adventurer
The 1/2ton GM vans came with AWD options. They're lame, but they don't flip over and kill their occupants as often as the Ford Econolines and Astros. LOLz.

Did an Astro hurt your feelings once? Seems like you have many negatives things to say with out any facts to back it up. :rolleyes:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I can't offer any advice on the E150 other than that inline 6 and transmission will probably outlive you if properly cared for.

But I can tell you about the 1976 GMC 4x4. I bought mine new and drove it for over 32 years. Yes, leaf springs all around; conversion was done by a company called Terravan. However, mine had the 400 small block backed by the Turbo 350 tranny. But instead of the 205 transfer case mine came with the full time 203 which I promptly converted to part time courtesy of a kit at that time made by Rough Country. Still, I never was able to get 14-15 mpg. Remember, no overdrive on these things so at highway speeds it was turning between 2500 - 3000 rpm. 10 - 12 mpg is more realistic. There is no significant difference in weight between a 1 ton and 1/2 ton van. They're all the same except for heavier duty axles and more leaves on the leaf springs on the 1 ton. So really, no difference in the dirt. Appropriate tires for the loose stuff is most important. I'd have to dig out my Kodachrome slides to show photos of mine on sandy beaches and driving through sand dunes.
My '76 was out of California, and it came with all the smog equipment required at that time including a smog pump. New, driveability was terrible and gas mileage was more like 6-8 mpg. It took getting rid of all that smog stuff (not required in Nevada), getting rid of the stock GM cam, intake manifold and Quadrajet carburetor and replacing them with an Edelbrock and Holley, and a good set of headers to restore the power and driveability that GM small blocks are known for. After that, it became a good motor!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I wouldn't be afraid of the Ford just on parts availability. While its true GMs are a bit more overlapped in the parts dept, the Ford shouldn't be too hard to find parts for either. I think you will find both your options as listed above are not going to get stellar fuel economy. I would pick whichever one is in better overall condition.

We're it my choice, I would give the Ford the nod.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Did an Astro hurt your feelings once? Seems like you have many negatives things to say with out any facts to back it up. :rolleyes:

Yes.
-
I'm a field technician. Many of the companies I've worked for over the years have stuck me in junky little vans because they're cheap. I had to move further away from Lake Erie. It's too tempting to drive my company vehicle down a boat ramp. LOL.
-
The GM Express vans are safer than the Fords. But need quality shocks and tires. Don't put your family in a stock 1500, 2500, 3500 GM Express van.

bfdiesel

Explorer

I dont feel safe driving Astros. I have wide feet and hit both pedals at the same time, sucks when just driving can only imangine what could happen in an emergency.

swamp_beast

i agree with the nod towards the ford. the 300 was virtually bullet proof and parts availability shouldnt be a problem as not only are they found in millions of vans and pickups from 65 to 96 they were also found in many ups and other box style delivery vans, tractors industrial generators and more all over the world and they remained unchanged pretty much till they got efi in 86. ive had a few of them in my life and have avged about 15 mpg from them sometimes as much as 20 as for the drivetrain fords are fairly interchangeable the twin i beam is still to this day being used under new ford vans and the ttb was used from 80 to 96 in not only in north america but south america mexico and more than likely other places in some shape or form

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1