Organizing/securing gear in your truck bed

skates04

Adventurer
I have done a few trips in the Tacoma now and while having the truck bed is awesome, it always turns into a disorganized cluster. The other issue is the lack of tie down points to the actual bed floor. I plan on adding tie down points to each bolt holding the bed in place.

Any one have any tips or photos of how you pack your truck bed and keep everything tied down?? I do not have a shell so a drawer system is not really an option. I am running a bed rack with a RTT.

I am thinking of just making a 2x4 "Grid" where my totes and jerry cans can sit in and be strapped to the wood frame...

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
Mopar Part 05104500AA RING-RETAINER RING. 6 of these installed at stock bed mounts. T55 socket needed.

2 48qt and 2 24 qt action packers fit perfect in 5 ft bed.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
The first summer when I had my taco I was living and working out of it in Wyoming. Went to wally world and got the biggest smart box they had. Tossed it up front padlocked it and did a strap across the front to the front tie towns. Kept the honnest people that way and stored a LOT of stuff. It was only semi water proof. Some taping on the inside seams make it workable. I then added a massive 200 liter? dry bag/ pack for clothes and such. It compressed well and held several small bags in side for organization. That got old after a few months and so when my season was over the wife and parents gifted me a ARE topper. I find that it is more of a mess now that the box is NOT in there.
It worked like a champ for when I was living and working out of the truck as an outdoor educator/ guide. I drove all over yellowstone to meet my groups, then to Jackson, Lander, into MT. Pull over at the end of the day blow up the therma rest and slid in the bivy sack bam water proof camper. pack up and head in the back country for a few days toss the big dry bag in the cab come back and do it all over again.
I have a regular cab and also used several ammo cans to keep stuff where it needs to be.

On another completely different note. It would not be overly hard to build a low platform in to the bed. Line it coat it foam it what ever and then you have a bed deck with storage underneath.

justrom

Adventurer
Mopar Part 05104500AA RING-RETAINER RING. 6 of these installed at stock bed mounts.

Those, plus one of these to keep the stuff near the tailgate (fridge, chuck box, 'pantry' box) in place and accessible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...dpID=41a9GOZcRJL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

I also found some eye bolts with a thread pitch that matched the backing plate on my rack. Used four of them to replace one of four bolts on each side of the rack giving some additional tie down points even with the top of the bed.IMG_20150407_073644_552.jpg

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I too use a ratcheting load bar to keep things near the tailgate. I got mine at O'Rielly's. I feel your pain. We are doing to Alaska this summer, and I hate how disorganized the truck bed can become. I am going to put a sleeping platform in the bed, and then compartmentalize it for Rubbermaid storage containers, luggage, and tools.

Last edited:

ddog45

Adventurer
I have a sheet of plywood in the bed of my truck that everything bolts to. I have a fridge slide and various totes that are secured to the plywood the plywood is held in place by carabiners on the corners where there are factory d rings. I change stuff around so much that I would have a ton of holes drilled in my truck if I did it any other way. When I need the truck empty I slide the board out with all of its contents onto a set of saw horses. Its not a perfect system but it works well for me every thing is kept dry by a second hand snugtop shell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online