Outdoor forced air furnace/Rocket stove completed

COJeeper

Observer
I thought I post a couple of photo's of the completed unit.
It works well and I can cook on it also.
I overbuilt it a bit 1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG

COJeeper

Observer
It was 28 degrees out when I was testing it in the driveway.
My neighbor happens to be from England and had quite a good laugh while I was working on the rig.
I do believe there was a question of "Can I cook fish and chips on it"
Had a tea pot going on top of it at the time which is not pictured.
I slightly over built the thing! It is really not that heavy, came in at 45 pounds. It burns really well and I went past 75 degrees in the tent. before I shut down.
I was hooking up remote controlled LED lights in the tent in warm toasty comfort. No smoke super efficient using small sticks, Branches or kindling size wood sticks.
I have a water coil all made up for it also so that I can have hot showers using a 12 volt pump. I have to get it installed yet. Have it all fabbed up just not put in yet.
This was a blast to build and literally consumed me over the Thanksgiving holiday.
Not worries about condensation, carbon monoxide or starting the tent on fire. No hauling propane (However I do have a propane stainless steel pipe burner configuration for it also) I just finished it.
I can run all night with the propane burner installed. But I really do enjoy the wood smell.

COJeeper

Observer
Very clever, but I would not be able to sleep with that furnace sitting so close to that fuel can.

The fuel can has not been used, never filled yet and empty.
I was just setting the furnace on the tail gate to give it some perspective and testing.
If I decide to use it while on the tailgate the Jerry can will be removed and relocated away from any risk.
I found a Fuel can that is really a tool box that will go on the tail gate of the trailer.
No worries!!!
Smokey the bear will approve.

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
I love the design and concept, but I think you need to take some precautions with carbon monoxide making its way into the tent. Extend the stove pipe to at least the roofline of the tent or locate the stove further from the tent. Get a carbon monoxide detector and mount it in the tent. Then I could sleep witout worries.
Oh, and can you post your rocket stove build?

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
I like the idea. I don't have a RTT, but I think the concept is cool.

you might benefit from some pellet stove venting parts if your exhaust size is 3" or 4". you can purchase spark arresting rain caps for little money and if you used the rigid exhaust pipe, you can extend the exhaust over the tent peak to avoing CO. (I would toss a battery CO detector in the tent just to test). And you can find some really good forced exhaust fans from the pellet industry to power the burn and the convection.

If you get really crafty, you can always put a thermostat in the tent to control the convection blower and the burn intensity.

can you post up some of the build?

COJeeper

Observer
I like the idea. I don't have a RTT, but I think the concept is cool.

you might benefit from some pellet stove venting parts if your exhaust size is 3" or 4". you can purchase spark arresting rain caps for little money and if you used the rigid exhaust pipe, you can extend the exhaust over the tent peak to avoing CO. (I would toss a battery CO detector in the tent just to test). And you can find some really good forced exhaust fans from the pellet industry to power the burn and the convection.

If you get really crafty, you can always put a thermostat in the tent to control the convection blower and the burn intensity.

can you post up some of the build?

Rocket stoves have a fantastic draft and burn. Once the air it heated up it draws air under the wood feed. It only takes a minute and it literally start a burning with the intensity similar to a pellet stove. I have a thermostat for my inline blower in the tent now. Just have to test it out yet.

COJeeper

Observer
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
Since, The Zodi tent heater seems to be gone. This is a great solution if you have some fab skills and a few tools.
Propex furnaces are great, pricey, but nice.
I always have access to branches and a small fuel source while trout fishing so this was my logical choice. It worked out great!
I now have a tall stack for it and a spark screen installed while in heat mode.
Stack get's removed, and my pot rack gets installed, for a good pot of coffee or frying up some eggs in the morning.

COJeeper

Observer
Testing

Further testing this weekend was done with dried corn on the cob. Burns great.

Consistent heat output of 150 degrees measured at heat vent pipe.

32 degree cold air input temperature heated to 150 degrees. Temperature incline of 118 degrees. Using oak sticks and corn on the cob....

Vent stack increases draft enormously It literally has the sound of a rocket (Hence the name) . This should get it above the tent roof while using it on my tailgate as shown in my first photo's for those of your that were concerned.

Also, I fabricated an additional Rocket cook stove with theRCK1.JPGRCK2.JPG left over materials from The Monolith camp heat system :). I name it the Monolith because it reminded me of the monolith in the movie 2001 odyssey :)

COJeeper

Observer
I am going to demo this at a local fishery this weekend. Looking for some feed back on the design, and some garage logic discussions.
Any opinions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1