Overloading with 4 kids / 4Runner third row

brianrride

Spell check says overloading. I mean overLANDING!!

First and foremost...great forum and thanks for the endless knowledge.

Currently overlanding in a Tacoma double cab and very satisfied with the ability to carry gear and humans. And...separate the two as well. Love the truck.

However...we are expecting our 4th child in a few months and I will need to upgrade my human hauling capacity and interested in a 2016 4Runner with 3rd row option. Reason for looking at a new vehicle vs something used (like a 2010 LC 200 Series) is the fact that my company will give me a sweet car allowance on a vehicle that is 6yrs old or newer. Long story short can't afford a new $83k 200 series, but can go $38k on a 2016 and let work pay for majority.

QUESTION is...where in the hell do I put all of our gear? Roof load? Nothing too extreme, but we're talking big bulk items such as the cooler, food, tent, etc. There's enough space behind the third row for a lunch box thats about it. Not to mention we take bikes and gear.

Easy answer is trailer but I'm trying to avoid that due to various reasons, one is expense. If you have pics of your SUV loaded to the hilt with humans and gear...let me see 'em. Otherwise let me know your ideas and thanks in advance to all

Last edited:

BurbanAZ

Explorer
You don't usually want to have a ton of weight on your roof, especially not on longer trips or off-road. I'm running into the same issue with space and I'm going to build a trailer. I think a trailer is the best option if you have a bunch of gear and just don't have the space in a SUV. Till I do though I'm going to build a hitch carrier. Hitch carriers are nice because they keep the weight fairly low and the vehicle is designed to carry a load pretty well there, also with the one I'm going to build I'm going to slant it up to keep my departure angle and make it swing down so I can open the rear hatch without having to unload it.

If I do have to load a bunch in the truck I try and put the heaviest stuff in the truck then load the lighter stuff on the roof. If you have a bunch of blankets or sleeping bags I'd recommend getting one of the waterproof roof bags and stuff them up there and tie them down well and that will open up a lot more room than you would think inside the truck. When i really need space I'll stuff as much of the soft items are I can in a roof bag on the rack. It's surprising how much space blankets, sleeping bags, jackets, clothes, etc.. Take up. If your going to use a roof bag for soft items though I'd definitely spend the money on a nice one, it would be a bummer to get to camp and have everything wet because the bag didn't hold up.

character zero

dangerfoot
Hate to say it, but the 4R is not going to be a real solution for you I don't think. I had one (with just 2 kids and a dog) and no 3rd seat and would max it out just going camping (bikes/tent/cooler etc). Put on a bajarack after this pic, but just to give you an idea
20120414_100745.jpg

I'd consider a sequoia or a Tundra...or load up your Taco like you are going camping, go down to the dealer and see how you'd make it all fit. I've done that before with bikes, etc...want to know how a tool will work for you, you've got to try it out.

brianrride

I did 3 kids and a 3rd gen 4runner...with bikes...however, at least the cooler and food fit in the back. Roof bag was awesome, basically put all sleeping apparel in that. You def get what you pay for, hear you on quality. Thoughts on wheeling with a trailer?

You don't usually want to have a ton of weight on your roof, especially not on longer trips or off-road. I'm running into the same issue with space and I'm going to build a trailer. I think a trailer is the best option if you have a bunch of gear and just don't have the space in a SUV. Till I do though I'm going to build a hitch carrier. Hitch carriers are nice because they keep the weight fairly low and the vehicle is designed to carry a load pretty well there, also with the one I'm going to build I'm going to slant it up to keep my departure angle and make it swing down so I can open the rear hatch without having to unload it.

If I do have to load a bunch in the truck I try and put the heaviest stuff in the truck then load the lighter stuff on the roof. If you have a bunch of blankets or sleeping bags I'd recommend getting one of the waterproof roof bags and stuff them up there and tie them down well and that will open up a lot more room than you would think inside the truck. When i really need space I'll stuff as much of the soft items are I can in a roof bag on the rack. It's surprising how much space blankets, sleeping bags, jackets, clothes, etc.. Take up. If your going to use a roof bag for soft items though I'd definitely spend the money on a nice one, it would be a bummer to get to camp and have everything wet because the bag didn't hold up.

brianrride

Hate to say it, but the 4R is not going to be a real solution for you I don't think. I had one (with just 2 kids and a dog) and no 3rd seat and would max it out just going camping (bikes/tent/cooler etc). Put on a bajarack after this pic, but just to give you an idea
View attachment 312898

I'd consider a sequoia or a Tundra...or load up your Taco like you are going camping, go down to the dealer and see how you'd make it all fit. I've done that before with bikes, etc...want to know how a tool will work for you, you've got to try it out.

Thanks for the pic!

Love the idea of showing up at the dealer with all my crap...too funny but so true.

Big50

Adventurer
It seems something like a Tahoe or Suburban would be better suited for your needs. I only say them over a Sequoia because they have a solid axle in the rear. You can find a low mileage 13 nicely equiped for 30-35k. Just make sure it has 4 low. For some stupid reason GM decided to make a lot of the 4x4 with high only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1