Pelican 1550 tool box

Well to make a long story short i have had a pelican 1550 case sitting in my garage for a few months and was debating what to use it for. Well thursday my wife myself and our 13 month old son went to run box canyon. After getting hung up pretty bad due to a washed out area( my tj is still stock on 29's.....for a few more weeks that is) we backed out and decided to take a break to let the kiddo walk/trip/waddle around some. Well after an hour we hopped back in to head out. Well the kid was upset and crying,I was tired and my wife was hungry. Turned the key over and click, the battery connection was loose somewhere. Well I noticed the negative cable had worked loose some, out with the ol' tool bag with everything jumbled. My stomach was in my throat because it was late and if i couldn't get it fixed we were in for a long night. After finally dumping the entire bag out i found what i needed and got her running. If it is one thing i will not be is unprepared again. Well me and the kiddo made a 5 hour run to all the misc. stores. Right now i have in the case... tow strap, 2 shackles, 2 ratchet straps, leatherman, 2 X wrench rolls (one metric and one SAE) Viar tire gauge, Full run of flat and phillips screwdrivers, 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets with extensions 3 and 6", full runs of metric and SAE in 3/8 and 1/4 and a set of 3/8 deep well SAE sockets,Torx and hex wrenches for the 3/8 , Tire repair kit, Electrical connections, electrical tape, tester light, Duct tape, my super siphon for fuel, and a pair of Wildland brush pants and a Petzl headlamp with a spare set of batteries. I have a top lid organizer that is still empty that will work out great for small items. The thing weighs quite alot, I would guess around 50 LBS however it is solid and makes no sound at all. The 1550 case fits perfect behind the rear seat and doesn't budge. I know alot of guys run light and with the bare minimum, however i carry metric as well as SAE for the other guys running out there and for my wifes truck so the kit is set and i dont have to change items for the vehicle it is in.I also added a 1/2" 2 foot breaker bar with appropriate socket for tire changes that is strapped in with the factory bottle jack items. Sorry about no pictures yet my son wandered off with my camera and i am on the prowl. I should have some up tomorrow.

IMG_2351.jpg
IMG_2352.jpg
IMG_2353.jpg
IMG_2354.jpg
IMG_2356-1.jpg

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
the evolution begins!

I've had similar moments of clarity. Enough was enough and it suddenly becomes the right time to do it better! I don't know what vehicle you drive but some sort of strap on that 50 pound projectile would be nice in case of a rollover. I worry about that happening in my 4RUnner.....

AndrewP

Explorer
Seriously!

My tool bag is 75 pounds at least, and I could easily do almost anything on the Cruisers out of that bag. it goes on every trip, and duplicates much of my home tool box. Definitely peace of mind even if seldom needed. Tools, on the trail, are good.

Well i just pulled the scale out and it is 49.5 lbs. It fits behind the back seat and the seat and back door narrow to the point it is wedged in and doesn't move sideways and would take alot of damage to come out. I ran out of time but will look at anchor points tomorrow. If the back seat is out it will for sure be strapped down.

Its called a pipe for 10.00 @ Home Depot

Actually it is a breaker bar from harbor freight that i got on sale for $8 almost 5 years ago and has held up great. I dont buy alot at harbor freight but if you are selective you can get some really good items for super cheap. Things like Cheap bit sets and what not. Most of my other tools are craftsman or good quality.

Mac tools sells a great collapsible breaker bar

Dont get me wrong I own MAC, Snap On ect. But since (at work) I dont use my tools any more I realized that some times we spend to much on tools. My truck now sags in the a@@ because of tools and recovery stuff. I always carry more than I need because when I need it I got it!

housedad

Observer
When you need it you NEED it. If you can't find a way around having that one tool you need, then you are up a tree and stuck.

It is a pain having all the extra tools, but you know you will get home.

Well I am an eagle scout so the motto be prepared has always rang true. I mean the case weighs 50 lbs. Worst case people can do with 1 less jerry can and come out even.I mean, worst case build a shelter, build a fire, find food or hopefully find water, but its not like i can just go make a 1/4" wrench if i forgot one.

XJCamper

SE Expedition Society
I have not seen the 0450 in person, but have looked at it in the past. It is a great idea but for the money I just cant justify it. I do recomend Pelican cases for many uses, even as a tool chest. I have a 1500 that stays in the truck with many different parts and tools in it. I am not sure that I would have $400 worth of tools to put in it once I paid the $400 for the case. Most of my quality tools stay in the garage, not my truck.

jammyauto

Adventurer
I have the 1450. It's a little too big and heavy for my sportsmobile as it does not fit under the bed or in the under floor storage. Most of the time I use a 1550.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I have not seen the 0450 in person, but have looked at it in the past. It is a great idea but for the money I just cant justify it. I do recomend Pelican cases for many uses, even as a tool chest. I have a 1500 that stays in the truck with many different parts and tools in it. I am not sure that I would have $400 worth of tools to put in it once I paid the $400 for the case. Most of my quality tools stay in the garage, not my truck.

Kind of how I feel about it.... for that much money, I would hope the Mr. Coffee comes standard. Or a cappuccino machine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1