Pelican 1550 tool box

Well i landed this case for free when it was retired. But for guys looking the best place i have found so far is craigslist. You can get them for about half of retail for nearly new cases.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
lol funny how that works. I was out on an easy trail Saturday with my wife and dog, slid to the side and dropped the front tires into some DEEP powder. I packed the kitchen sink but guess what I forgot....yep, a shovel. Guess what I did promptly on Sunday? You guessed it, started building a shovel mount for the topper :)

XterraVT

Observer
I own 4 pelican cases and 3 ride in the trk.

1510 - Only hold extra fluids for the trk.
1620 - Holds all of my hand tools and air tools as well as a few odds and ends
1700 - Bolted to my Baja rack and holds my recovery gear
BajaCargoBox0001.jpg

BajaLights0003.jpg

I was looking at the 0450 but that is a TON of money for a toolbox. Very cool I'll give them that.
I have another 1510 for work that I use as my traveling tool box. I use klein canvas bags to separate my tools and keep it neat. It's easy to tote along with the wheels and handle.

Nice packing job on the 1550

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Pelican cases certainly have their uses (i.e. to protect delicate and expensive pieces of equipment). But once you get outside those uses, they are expensive, far too bulky, and generally less useful than the alternatives. Unless you are locking up your tools on your roofrack, why wouldn't you just use a tacklebox/actionpacker/or even a cardboard box???

When you consider the outside dimensions of a pelican case versus the interior capacity, the weight of an empty Pelican, and the cost, why would you consider it unless you get them for free and have no other solution.

To spend $100 on a pelican case to hold wrenches and tow straps that will sit inside a vehicle sounds like a waste of money, space and weight. :confused:

Now, when you need to store your micrometers, fiber splicers, and dilythium crystals inside your truck - I understand the need/cost for the pelicans.

I USED to think the same way. Now. Say for instance you have a cardboard box or a tool chest that you pack with tools. Those said tools are going to be moving all over the place. Use a bag? Well now you are going to notice that the shape is odd, and you will have to dig for more items. With the pelican setup EVERYTHING i could probably need for trail repairs is enclosed in one box. The items are packed tightly so absolutely zero noise from the thing. And i got mine for free so.... I completely understand where you are coming from but people spend insane amounts on parts for their vehicles in upgrades but will skimp out on things to fix the parts. I mean the guys who use a pelican box for their wood and charcoal setups....crazy. Tools....Not so much. It is the same concept as a rolling tool storage setup in a garage. It is an insane amount of money but you know exactly where everything is and it is kept clean and ready to use. I went with the same concept with the pelican case.

XterraVT

Observer
Pelican, Storm and PortaBrace cases are not for everyone.

I used the 1620 for my Travel tool Box ( Fluke Meters and Mechanics tools ) for work but it got a little crazy when Airlines started charging WAY too much $ for it to go on the plane. I got the 1620 for my Travel case and the 1620 became my Rigs tool box. Open the box and even you could find the tool you need right away.

I had a wet box on my stock rack and had all of my recovery gear in it and missed having that space so I put the 1700 up top to gain my storage back (It's locked).

I guess I could use a cardboard box and fumble around in it for the tools I need for a repair. It would also weigh less when I need to carry it to another buddies rig. Bummer when I need to put it down and the bottom gets soggy and my tools fall out.

I also Never have to worry about these cases if I ever break one. I call Pelican and I have a new Case or part in the mail that day or the next.

ComitSteve

Anybody seen (in person) the Pelican 0450 toolchest?

Comments?

I received this case as a gift from my wife after I drooled over it for months. I was torn on purchasing it because of the price, but she knew I'd use it and I definitely do.

I agree it's pricey, but after having used it pretty extensively I don't think this case will ever need replacing, and if it does, Pelican has a darn near unbeatable warranty.

The case is a little heavy when full, but I mostly keep it in the back of my truck and locked to the bed. But for organizational purposes, its top notch.

I would check on Ebay or Craigslist if you want to buy one. I know a guy who bought a different Pelican case on Craigslist that was damaged slightly on the hinge. He sent it in and they replaced the whole case for free, minus shipping. Totally worth it.

Viggen

Just here...
Its called a pipe for 10.00 @ Home Depot

Hell yeah. I use a 1/2" drive Craftsman, in fact all my tools are Craftsman or Hazet, and the handle of the Hi Lift. Easy work of anything.

As for tool cases, I have a suitcase style molded plastic one that houses 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive shallow and deep well sockets in both metric and standard along with all combo wrenches in standard and metric from 9mm up to 20mm along with breaker bar, torque wrench, and a bunch of other stuff. I put it on top of the 2 Pelicans that hold my recovery gear and lash it down with two ratchet straps. That case has been put through hell for about a decade now and still in great shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1