Pics of your VAN! Post up!

Farfrumwork

Ran the Rim Rocker trail last week (East to West). Wife, 14yr old son + one of his friends, and our Boston on board.

Arrived in Montrose CO late Wed night, camped near the trail head and then toured the trail for the next 2 days. We cut into the La Sals instead of completing the last section of the Rim Rocker as it was hot in the desert and we wanted to stay up high (cool) and in the forest. Still ~150mi of dirt/trail before dropping into Moab.

The first 40+mi are gravel roads, then it gets much more trail-like after Nucla. No problems for the van, but some puckering moments as the trail has some exposed shelf switch-backs (notably on the decent to Hwy 141, which you take for 1-2 miles before hitting more trails).

We also had even more puckering moments on a shelf road at the north end of Paradox Valley. This would have been a very easy section, but it had rained a bit and the silt turned ice-like and the van wanted to skate sideways on off-camber sections. We had a front tire dangerously close to a 20+' drop, but ended up getting out of that with sand ladders and littering the road with 2-4" rocks (to provide traction).

Awesome scenery, and we saw no one for much of the trail. All on our own!

RR trail sign.jpgnucla.jpgoverlook.jpgrock.jpg
Gotta find shade for lunch
shade lunch.jpgDome rock.jpgmud tire.jpgADV.jpg

Last edited:

YeetWagon

8E19FEB9-5612-45DF-BE03-641C47DCA578.jpeg

Just wanted to introduce myself, picked up this 98 Chevy 3500 with a Horton ambulance box on it. Picked it up from a gentleman who intended to do the same thing with it but didn’t have the time, he got it from the fire district at auction. Right now I’m sorting out some mechanical issues that come along with a 26 year old truck, but excited to get it going for ski season. Right now I’m just planning to add some form of diesel heater for ski season and turn the bench into a bed. I want to hold off on the more involved stuff until I get a few trips and have a solid plan on what I want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp