Pioneer platform and Yakima RTT

Tvv

Hey all. Anyone have a fix to get the Yakima rooftop tent quick release clamps to work the pioneer platform backbone system for a 2016 Jeep Wrangler? The clamps fit between the slats, but don’t measure properly to fit both equally between the slats. The measurements are just off enough to not work. Any alternatives?

Thanks.

Tvv

Hey. Thanks for the link. I ordered the crossbars. The issue with the Yakima tent is the quick release legs don’t line up where the slats in the pioneer platform rack have openings. I ended up moving the quick release legs in 2.5” to the center on the RTt each and now they line up with the slats and it seems to hold perfectly. I was resistant to drilling new holes in the bottom of the rooftop tent but it was really easy and a good fix. Just had to get over the fear of drilling new holes is all.

Thanks for your reply and the link.

Tvv

Here is where I moved the quick release brackets so now it lines up with the slats. The four holes in the center are so you can rotate the tent to have it open to the side of the Jeep or rotate the brackets so it folds out over the tail of the Jeep. image.jpgimage.jpg

Tvv

Yeah. That makes sense. I think I can see the internal frame where it leaves a clear image where the original holes were drilled by the manufacturer. I’ll call Yakima to confirm there is an internal aluminum frame. If so I’ll fill the holes with some silicone and remount the brackets to their original holes through the likely to be aluminum frame.

Any recommendations on how to mount a Yakima RTT on the pioneer platform? At this point I’m indifferent If the tent is easily released as Yakima likes to do with their claws or if it’s permanently mounted to the platform system as I have the quick release legs for the pioneer platform and can just take them both off (the platform and tent if fused together) the Jeep as one unit.

Thanks.

dstock

Explorer
I don't know much about the Yakima mounting system but it seems like if you don't require the quick removal of the RTT, I would just bolt it to the RhinoRack using the standard Frontrunner brackets and the RhinoRack crossbars.

I lucked into a set of the Frontrunner Quick release brackets at a bargain from a good friend, so I'm going to purchase a second set of RhinoRack accessory bars so that I don't have to drill any holes and it allows me the option down the road for a different RTT. The Frontrunner mounts use M8 bolts and I purchased some M6 slot nuts that I am going to drill out to use with the Frontrunner M8 bolts as spacers. M8 slot nuts are too thick to fit in the channel on the RhinoRack crossbars. It sounds more complicated then it is, I can try to take some pictures to illustrate what I am talking about but I may not be able to get to it before the weekend.

Tvv

Sounds great. Thanks. I’ll welcome any assistance at your leisure. Pictures always help!

Thanks again.

Ericwc

I bought my RTT used and it did not have any rails on the bottom but did have holes all the way through the base so I just drilled holes in the platform and ran bolts with larg washers all the way through. Problem was getting it on and off was a pain. So next I bought the c channels that most RTT come with and mounted them to the base but still just run bolts through the platform up into the c channel. Much easier to get on and off now and keeps the RTT low. But if you already have the quick release for the platform and don’t mind leaving the RTT permanently attached then I would run some bolts through and call it done.

Tvv

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks. I have the c-channels arriving Friday so I’ll likely remove the Yakima quick release claws and mount it permanently to the c-channels then allowing some mobility on/off the rack. The intended purpose of the rack is to support the tent and other camping items for trips which means it’ll be stored for much of the winter and then remounted when needed in the summer.

dstock

Explorer
I took a couple pictures this weekend of how the setup would work with the accessory bars and the Frontrunner brackets. The brackets come with M8 bolts but the whereas the Frontrunner rack just uses the slot to hold the hex head bolt, the Rhinorack uses M6 slot nuts to bolt on accessories. I ordered some M8 slot nuts but they are too fat to fit in the channels. M8 slot nut on the left, M6 on the right.
i-tg9QPg9-L.jpg

I could just use M6 bolts and the slot nuts but because the RTT is a large object that I don't want to become a projectile in an accident type scenario, I'm going to drill out the M6 slot nuts to use as a spacer in the accessory bar which will keep the hex head of the bolt in the channel and prevent it from turning. Here's the drilled out slot nut:
i-wqNgf4T-L.jpg

An then of course the bolt, slot nut and bracket attached. The Frontrunner bolts are only an inch so I will be swapping those out for 1 1/4" so the nylock nut has enough to do it's job:
i-JhJL6KH-L.jpg

Hope this helps clarify a few things. Is it overkill? Perhaps, but I'm in the I'd rather be safe then sorry camp, so the little bit of extra work is worth it to me. YMMV!

Tvv

That looks really good and a clean fix. I like it. Thanks for sharing the pictures and detail. That helps.

dstock

Explorer
Now I just need to get the Frontrunner Quick release brackets at a bargain. Haha.

Haha! If you are going to leave it attached to the rack anyway, I'd just get the $50-ish low profile ones and bolt it up. You will avoid having to go with 2 sets of accessory bars because you can remount your tent tracks left-right vs front-back. I'm stuck with front-back because of the way my RTT mounts to my trailer.

Regardless, glad it helps!

Tvv

Do you have the rhino rack backbone system? If so any leaking issues specifically the rear brackets on passengers side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1