Post Pic's of your Jeep

cavedave

Observer
I know I'm not the first jeep expedition-style vehicle, certainly not when I date this forum or chat with my elders, but here I know I can get honest and educated opinions on my rig, where as other sites might say silly things about tall and skinny tires, for example, here at Expedition Portal, tall and skinny is in. :)

Anyway, here she is. 95 YJ, 2.5 L. She's seen Iceland, the U.K., mainland Europe, and from coast to coast U.S.A. Let me know what you think. :)

66658_1581352967518_1046495802_31637658_4446748_n.jpg

66658_1581353007519_1046495802_31637659_2670218_n.jpg

66658_1581353087521_1046495802_31637661_2598591_n.jpg

66658_1581353047520_1046495802_31637660_3973693_n.jpg

66658_1581353127522_1046495802_31637662_1223203_n.jpg

Last edited:

wacker

Observer
I really like this YJ. Very simple mods and adaptation. I love that you moved the tail lights to make more room on the tailgate. Are those re treads? definitley don't look like BFG's?

tip

Adventurer
looks good cavedave. I like how simple and functional your build is, no blingy wheels or anything like that.

I also have a thing for tall, skinny tires with steelies :sombrero:

cavedave

Observer
@ wacker; yes, I ordered these retreads from treadwright.com. They are 235/85R16 load class E; heavy truck tires. Indeed, there is a lot of wasted sq. ft. on the back of a stock jeep. When I designed the rack and bumper, I solved this problem, more or less, and used up the space that I found I needed.

@ tip; steel wheels are what I prefer as well. The wheels you see here are off of a Ford Crown Vic. (5 on 4.5, 16x7" wheels)

My logic is exactly that - simplicity and functionality. I hand made everything on the jeep while only using pre-manufactured parts as little as possible. Each mod fills a certain role. I don't believe in modifications for purely cosmetic appeal, however, I will be the first to tell you that I love hearing positive remarks about her appearance. She is rugged, and useful, as a jeep should be.

Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Hmm, you've got me thinking about tail light treatments. I was thinking about recessed milspec lights but now that I see what you've done maybe I should break out the plans for the bumper I made for the old SJ-413 and add a few inches to the middle to make it fit.

Hmm...

Edit: Btw, nice Jeep.

goldenbeagle

Adventurer
I love this YJ....I really do. I love it even more because it has truly seen "the back of beyond" (outdoors). Nice rig my friend...thanks for sharing. :costumed-smiley-007

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Is that a little low profile snorkel sticking up out of the hood? And I like the ammo can on the swing out too, its a good idea.

cavedave

Observer
@ Root Moose & Goldenbeagle; Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

@ kc0tma; thats kind of a long story, but here's the short. I wanted cold air from outside the engine compartment, but I didn't want to sell a kidney for a prefab snorkel. And, I knew that water fording is a bit of a rarity, if I can help it, so I came up with this solution. Black water ABS pipe, and a custom bell cap, with a hole in the hood above and in front of the air box. Everything is sealed below, so if I must swim, I can throw on a 2 or 3 foot extension and press on.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Also, very clever trying those Crown Vic wheels. Offset looks good. I love seeing JY stuff being re-leveraged effectively.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
@ Root Moose & Goldenbeagle; Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

@ kc0tma; thats kind of a long story, but here's the short. I wanted cold air from outside the engine compartment, but I didn't want to sell a kidney for a prefab snorkel. And, I knew that water fording is a bit of a rarity, if I can help it, so I came up with this solution. Black water ABS pipe, and a custom bell cap, with a hole in the hood above and in front of the air box. Everything is sealed below, so if I must swim, I can throw on a 2 or 3 foot extension and press on.

That is a pretty good idea, it makes a lot more sense than shelling out $500 for a plastic tube with a brand name on the side.

K2ZJ

Explorer
It is not the prettiest Jeep I have ever seen, but I love it too. Very functional, it has an original military Jeep feel to it. Good work.

cavedave

Observer
It is not the prettiest Jeep I have ever seen, but I love it too. Very functional, it has an original military Jeep feel to it. Good work.

lol, I'm kind of glad you don't think it's pretty. I like to think my jeep is about as pretty (inversely proportional to its usefulness) as a farmer's agro. spec. Unimog, or a seasoned M725 ambulance. No Macy's parade here, just a damn useful piece of equipment. Thanks for the feedback. :)

cavedave

Observer
I like what you've done. I also have a vague desire to modify a Grand C. How much trimming, if any, did you do to fit your wheels? Or is the lift enough for full flex and freedom of movement?

Nice rig.

Last edited:

huskyfargo

Adventurer
My 2008 JK

web.jpg

and my Outlander Trailer being built to pull behind it.

web.jpg

Here it is a few months ago on Taylor Pass in Colorado before the new lift and trimmed fenders

web.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design