preparing to relocate backup camera on Four Wheel Camper

ramblinChet

Does anyone have any experience relocating the backup camera from the tailgate to the door on a Four Wheel Camper? I am specifically interested in how you ran the camera wire from the center of the door down to the OEM connection on the lower section of the bed. I purchased a kit from Rostra (#250-8663) that I will be installing the OEM camera into.

Here is the kit:

rostra 2508663-small-1.jpg

Here is the recommended location for placement supplied by RAM:

camera mount.jpg

The red box is the ideal location to mount the camera and the yellow lines represent where I am planning to run the LVDS wire. Currently I am planning to use Electriduct 1/4" Polypropylene Wire Loom to protect the wire along with some sort of fastener to keep the wire located. I am concerned with the 90° turn the wire makes while the door opens and closes. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to route the wire for best protection?

camera mount wire route.jpg

ramblinChet

Here is my second revision which includes a "door loop" for the wire with the green square representing 1x1-inch self adhesive cable ties.

camera mount wire route 02.jpg

FAW3

Adventurer
A thought to consider: Use some double sided tape and mount the camera in the recess under the FWC and even try just to the side of the door (ensure open door clears housing). You can easily test mount a couple of locations and "see" what works.

You may find that the wide angle lens allows quite the offset mounting location with minimal issues. I mounted my aftermarket camera under the flatbed offset to the side from a step assembly. Image is fine for what I needed.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'll ask two questions just in case you hadn't considered all the options. If you've already ruled these out, no problem:
  1. Could you tolerate having the camera mounted lower? (Under the door on that flat panel)
  2. Could you tolerate having the camera mounted off-center? (to the left of the door hinge)

With respect to how high the camera needs to be: I have two cameras on my truck - one replacement for the OEM backup camera that's mounted under the flatbed tray, (and slightly off-center due to the placement of a center-support), and one that I've mounted at about head-height on the rack that goes across the back of my flatbed camper. I use the upper camera as a rear-view mirror, rather than for backing (with an always-on display mounted in the rear-view position), therefore that camera is aimed "higher" so I can see back down the road behind me on the highway, etc. Whenever I'm backing up and the "low" camera comes on with the OEM backup display in the radio, I have a more-than-adequate view of the area directly behind the truck. I definitely do not see a need to mount it any higher for "visibility". Similarly, with the slightly "fisheye" nature of the lens, I do not notice that the lower backup camera is mounted slightly off center.

If I were you, I'd temporarily connect all the wiring and enlist the help of an assistant to hold the camera in various positions and angles on the back of your truck. You can also setup cones or water bottles in the key positions so you can try to spot them on the camera view. You might just find that one of the more convenient locations works perfectly well, without the need for messing with mounting across a moving hinge.

If you want the perfect "gods-eye" view while backing up, you might also find that mounting above the door gives a good view - so get your assistant a step ladder!

csj

I am going to do this on my fwc project m and intend to mount it above the door because whenever I have bikes on the back the camera is totally useless.
Thanks for the link to the relocation kit, I'm ordering one now.

ramblinChet

Here is my update:

My most recent modification involved transferring my OEM backup camera from my tailgate to the rear door of my Four Wheel Camper. It sounds like a fairly easy evolution but I have a habit of spending dozens of hours contemplating various options, researching components and even comparing the same components produced by different manufacturers. Trust me, there are differences and I am happy to take a little bit longer, and pay slightly more, for a much better overall package.

Most of the components for this modification originated from two companies: Rostra and McMaster-Carr. The backup housing and wire were discussed in this previous post while the remaining components were discussed here and here. The picture below is of the finished product and since the placement of the camera was made in accordance with Ram_HD CC_Camera System - Analog_2019+_Rev A.pdf (see attached) which specifies an ideal camera height of 55", the camera being centered, and at an angle of 42° relative to the ground. The reverse image displayed on my OEM center console screen is perfect.

After backing up using only side mirrors for such a long time it was refreshing to use the OEM camera once again.
image000000(39).jpg

My OEM tailgate was pulled from storage and it took just a few tools and a couple of minutes to remove the OEM camera. Once you remove the metal panel on the inside vertical face of the tailgate there are two screws, and one electrical connection to address. The tailgate handle will begin to move about once the screws are loosened but you still much reach inside along the top of the handle to depress the two plastic holders and then it will pop right out. After that there are four small Torx screws that are removed from a plastic retainer and out comes the camera.
image000000(37).jpg

The instructions for the Rostra mount suggest routing the camera's LVDS cable out the rear of the housing and this is why you see the large hole in the back. I was not excited about complicating this installation by running the wire through the door and then the wall of the camper so I elected to drill a hole in the side and pass the corrugated conduit through there. It worked out although I will state the design of the housing places the LVDS connector in conflict with the surface of the door when mounted so it was still necessary to relieve the area. If they would have made the housing another 3-5mm thicker this all could have been avoided. It's still a very nice housing though with the camera fitting perfectly inside.
image000000(38).jpg

Here is the corrugated conduit and LVDS exiting the housing and then turning up preparing to cross over door hinge. Time will tell if this loop works or not although I suspect it will be fine for many years.
image000000(40).jpg

A close up of the corrugated conduit looping up and across door hinge. In many industrial or commercial applications where a wire jumps across a door hinge you will see it looping down but in this case the assembly was so light that I elected to use this shorter and more direct route by utilizing a vertical loop.
image000000(42).jpg

What was really nice is the corrugated conduit I used was perfect size relative to the OEM connector on the rear of the bed. Everything fits perfectly and I wish I could say that I had planned this section this way but I didn't - I actually intended to drill a slightly larger hole, install a protective bushing, and penetrate the sheet metal that way. Once I was working down in the area I took a closer look at the OEM connector, compared sizes, and elected to pass the corrugated conduit through this existing entry point. It works well and looks clean.
image000000(41).jpg

I celebrated the installation by driving down to Yorktown Beach, confidently backing into a parking space, and taking a nice long walk along the shore.
image000000(43).jpg

SimplyAnAdventure

Looks great and well thought out. When I installed the Khaya on my Tacoma I ordered the license plate kit from Camera Source. Plug and play from the factory harness and mounted just above the rear plate. Whole job was done in 15 mins. On my new build (F350/ Supertramp) I optioned the camera from ST. Should be plug and play up on the top of the camper and integrate into the 360 cameras. I’m curious to see if the height makes a difference in how the system performs. Yours seems to be right about the stock location which is nice.

I definitely appreciate your attention to detail! You must have the same sickness I do, OCD Engineer lol.

ramblinChet

Looks great and well thought out. When I installed the Khaya on my Tacoma I ordered the license plate kit from Camera Source. Plug and play from the factory harness and mounted just above the rear plate. Whole job was done in 15 mins. On my new build (F350/ Supertramp) I optioned the camera from ST. Should be plug and play up on the top of the camper and integrate into the 360 cameras. I’m curious to see if the height makes a difference in how the system performs. Yours seems to be right about the stock location which is nice.

I definitely appreciate your attention to detail! You must have the same sickness I do, OCD Engineer lol.

Thank you. I would expect all camper manufacturers who offer a rear camera to voluntarily comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 111 (FMVSS111) by using the National Truck Equipment Association's Rear Visibility F/CMVSS 111 Field of View Conformity Manual and Kit as described below. Since I was only modifying a single vehicle and my research was at no cost, I was able to understand the requirements and my vehicle complies with FMVSS111. Just in case you are interested, the placement of my camera was determined will all supplied on board in addition to my fuel tank being half full. Based upon my repeated measurements, the camera is within 1/32nd of an inch of being centered and at the optimum height. It is also within 1° of the ideal look down angle.

Prior to departing for Overland Expo East I took a few minutes to complete detail work on my Rostra camera relocation housing that was recently installed. The cover did was not able to fully snap on perfectly and I suspected there was internal conflict so it was time to open it back up one final time to correct this minor issue.
image000000(56).jpg

Note the round hole in the door of the camper with insulation inside that I previously believed was unnecessary since I was passing the LVDS cable out the side. It turns out the rear of the LVDS connection plug sticks out past the rear of the housing by 1-2mm. While this does not seem to be much it was enough to prevent the housing cover from properly being seated. By first drilling, then grinding this hole, there is no longer any conflict and the cover is fully seated.
image000000(57).jpg

Here is a picture of the OEM camera that has been removed from the stock tailgate and installed into the cover of the Rostra housing. Again, I must admit that the housing was much nicer than I originally suspected it would be and the camera snaps into place perfectly.
image000000(58).jpg

Attachments

• Ram_HD_Camera System - Digital_2019+_Rev A.pdf
    895.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Ram_HD CC_Camera System - Surround View_2019+_Rev B.pdf
    1,000.6 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1