Prime-time Television Episode Features Overland Journal

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Many say the same complaint about Man vs. Wild, but I love the show (as does my 6 year old- Bear is one of his super heros!), but let's face it, ... even with a support team, there are things that they do that, ... "I don't care how much back up you have", I ain't doin!

I've tried to watch Man vs. Wild a few times and I just can't get through an episode. I can't stand things that are supposed to be real, but are so obviously faked. Yeah, if you're lost in the wild, don't try to climb a cliff to escape. Then you'll die for sure.

Perhaps the best program Speed Channel has ever shown...

I don't know about "ever", but it's been a long time.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Repeating my question; for those that were there. How come no traction enhancers on the tires. I lived and drove in similar conditions, for eleven winters of Rocky Mountain Wonderland... We always chained up front axle in the conditions you encountered...

Occasionally, rarely, both axles...

Thanks in advance for any explanation.

I grew up in Montana... I've never owned a set of chains and have never needed a set.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I grew up in Montana... I've never owned a set of chains and have never needed a set.

I have not seen the episode (I don't get cable TV) so might not understand the "conditions" as the earlier poster stated, but seriously you've never had the situation/opportunity to employ chains? Used correctly (and responsibly) the traction they provide on all four tires is nothing less than night-and-day comparison even with the best tread & compounds.

blaze one

Adventurer
Overall I really enjoyed the episode . Hopefully there may be more like it from some one or people in the future .

I agree with a previous post ... Jeep Marketing may cringe that it looked like the lead truck(for a fair amount of the shots ) was LAND ROVER on 33's ... though it did add confidence for people that can't afford $60,000 + rigs . It sure made me think "better" of my ol' 1992 XJ on 31's ...

it was also nice to see that there was more emphisis on driving and less on promotion of products . It was not like a 1hr commercial about AEV or JEEP or etc .

I just gotta ask though ... why didn't someone cover up the fire wood on top of the JK ? I hate wet fire wood :)

Actually this was the only time I ever been in a situation where chains would have actually helped. The snow wasn't powder that you could blow through and wasn't packable either so you could get up top, more like depthhoar, just 30" of ****ty non-packable snow with a bottom to it. Normally we don't have a bottom so chains are pretty much useless to us and I don't think anyone here even owns a set. Useless in MT.

Great trip and I thought the vid came out great, especially for the non 4wd person who doesn't really know much about the activity. It was some cold camping though! Maybe a little too dramatic, but hey its TV and I'll stand up for Sinuhe's death comments, because the crew would always ask "what could happen here? could you die?" and then we had to kind of answer with a rephrase of the question...oh well. Hopefully we get to do another!

dh

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Great episode! I downloaded it to my iphone and watched it while packing tonight. Those trails definately look to have a whole new element to them in those conditions. I hope this segment leads the way to more programming of a similar nature. Nice work gentlemen!

sinuhexavier

Explorer
I have not seen the episode (I don't get cable TV) so might not understand the "conditions" as the earlier poster stated, but seriously you've never had the situation/opportunity to employ chains? Used correctly (and responsibly) the traction they provide on all four tires is nothing less than night-and-day comparison even with the best tread & compounds.

There may have been times when chains could have gotten me through something better or more effectively, but the reality is I guess I'll never know.

Besides that winter camping is over rated and it's not very highly rated to begin with...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1