Prime-time Television Episode Features Overland Journal

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
That was great! Man I would give my spleen to have been on that trip (though I HIGHLY doubt my truck is capable enough to make that ledge.)

(and and when I say highly doubt..i mean NO WAY IN HELL)

I was lovin the look of that hemi jeep...actually I was loving all the rides!

What happened to the rovers passengers side headlight, I noticed it was "missing" after the frist night. Though I think he had plenty of light with that rack.

Great show and great trip guys!
what he said, really fun to watch.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I got dibs on next year!!! MAN that was AWESOME!!!!!! What a pre-curser to EXPO. I will totally sacrifice my Power Wagon to hang with you dudes.

Amauri

Explorer
I'm in on a replicate Expo trip next year, that would be awesome. Just no cheesy narration. :smiley_drive:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
That was a fun show, it was nice to see folks we "know" doing stuff we all love to do. The rigs were awesome and the snow covered canyonlands was a compelling backdrop. The narrative...well it's all dangerously and stuff.

Watched it with the family and here were a lighthearted comments as we watched...

From the Boy.."Dad lets play "punchbug" every time they have that Sinuhe guy says Death or Dead."

From the Girl..."That Scott seems like a nice guy, but does he remind anybody else of a grown up Charlie Brown?"

From the Wife..."I wish we had a Brute to break trail on the ride to work with some of the snowstorms we had this winter. Now I know why you hate snow wheeling."

From Me..."Just what the heck is Sinuhe cooking there? Dang it forget about another Jeep shot lets get more of a close up on that meal!" :elkgrin:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Again Rob, your engineering prowess is always remarkable.

You may find it interesting to know, that the Jeep and the hook mounted to it was owned by the very engineer who load and performanced tested that hook :rolleyes:

Nice.

I'm just basing my comment on the often stated general danger of hooks. Including OEM hooks that have been thoroughly tested. I actually don't have a big problem and have used them for light pulls, but figured you were in the hook=death camp with everyone else. I did think that pulling sideways on one presented a considerable risk of the rope slipping off. You're not pulling into the hook, but across it.

As for the cliff, here is a shot of it in the summer. You can see the DII on the lower left of the frame. The narration clearly didn't match the image.

That's not the part I was talking about. I was talking about the ledge you guys had to climb. The trail was going up, not down, cliff supposedly on the right.

Last edited:

voyageur

Adventurer
Made the Land Rover look bad...

Well, I watched it, I recorded it and I enjoyed it. I did think there was way too much; macho, wheel spinning, big V8; footage. I think it made the smaller engined, smaller tired, less gas burning Discovery look real bad. Of course, I own two Discovery's and I don't ever spin my tires. I do rotate them twice a year.

Two questions:

Was that snow real?

How come nobody chained up or used cables? I lived and drove in the Colorado Rockies, where 4WD was an every day requirement. We were building homes and condos, in a community near Winter Park. The drive up "Bear's Paw Drive" drive was all "on the edge", snow covered gravel all winter. At the time, I had a great Toyota FJ55. Always chained up front wheels on the really bad days and never had a problem.

All the locals (including me) ran narrow, tall tires to cut through the crust and try to get to the hard stuff. Nobody ran, wide, high-flotation tires.

:victory:​

Anyway... I guess this sounds like criticism, maybe it is. Anyhoo I mean it all in a nice way - I am just old.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I didn't think the Disco came off bad at all. The mere fact that it was on the same route as the other, much more built trucks, made it look good. Not to mention the fact it was often leading the way.

voyageur

Adventurer
They never even showed...

Rob,

They never even showed the cup-holders. That is my favorite upgrade...

:wings:​

chirigringo

Adventurer
Great show. I'd like to make plans to retrace that route or the originally planned route. I'm also happy to finally know how "Sinuhe" is pronounced.
-Michael

Scott Brady

Founder
Rob,

There is nothing wrong with a properly rated hook for the load. Every new Warn and Superwinch, etc. ships with a hook.

That TJ hook is rated for more than light pulls, infact, it is rated to near frame-bending pulls. The Jeep engineer who field performance and load tested that hook was standing right there. I wont mention the MBS on that hook, as it is not for public consumption, but it is many times higher than GVWR.

It is just the spreading of misinformation that got my hackles up. . . some forum reader will look at your comment and think "I should remove these dangerous recovery points from my TJ". Nothing could be further from the truth.

XJBANKER

Explorer
I enjoyed it and it was worth an hour of my life, but I agree with the machoness that came across as a death defying trip. I thought it was funny that my wife was not impressed, she said I haven't seen anything that we havent done before, but that is coming from a girl who has driven off a four foot ledge in moab and has watched us do white knuckle as well. I told her it is a lot different in the snow, and then she mentioned our northern utah providence canyon trip spinning tires locked fron and rear climbing bolders covered in ice.

I guess it depends on what eyes you are looking with. I had more of an adventure view and thought that it was fun to watch something that I have an interest in with guys that I respect. Also it was better than most of the crap that is on TV. I do agree that I did not like the sideways pull on the brute, but was just thinking there might have not been room to get a straight on shot at it. AS FOR ANGLES. My moab photos never and I mean never show the steepness of what you are driving on. Something about TV never reflecting real life for good or bad.

The hardest thing about watching it for me is I am going from Rock Crawler to Adventurer. I would have liked to see better shots of the tents, and food that was cooking.

OVERALL FABULOUS JOB!

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
That's not the part I was talking about. I was talking about the ledge you guys had to climb. The trail was going up, not down, cliff supposedly on the right.

I have driven the trail in question, and it is not so much a cliff to the right but a short drop that would result in multiple roll overs if you happened to go over it. You would survive, but your vehicle would not.

Scott Brady

Founder
So, the headlight. . .

The little Discovery was a champ. It is Sinuhe's personal vehicle, and built to drive that type of terrain. The only place it couldn't be in the lead was in the three-foot deep snow. And it had company. My Overland JK couldn't break trail either, even with 35" tires. It took the Brute to break trail.

So, we were rallying along a wide, dirt road, having a little fun. Lets call it spirited driving. . . The headlights on the Disco are held in place with little itty bitty ball and clips. Sinuhe was driving at a spirited pace too, and hit a ditch a little too hard and pop, goes the headlight.

But, unfortunately he didn't know that, and drove a few more miles with the headlight resting on the front bumper. Well, not exactly resting.

We had all stopped, and Sinuhe came rolling up some time later, with his headlight hanging from the harness like something out of mad max - we all had a good laugh, and he finished the trip as the one-eyed wonder.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Seriously, that Disco was amazing and Sinuhe did a great job driving it. It had 2" smaller tires than anything else on the trip, nearly 2' shorter wheel base and a fraction of the hp (less than half of the Brute). Even Harriton was impressed by the end of it.

Oh. and did I mention it was COLD!
attachment.php

Attachments

• Speed_ (2).jpg
    Speed_ (2).jpg
    156 KB · Views: 732
  • Speed_ (1).jpg
    Speed_ (1).jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 424
  • Speed_.jpg
    Speed_.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 597

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
Rob,

There is nothing wrong with a properly rated hook for the load. Every new Warn and Superwinch, etc. ships with a hook.

That TJ hook is rated for more than light pulls, infact, it is rated to near frame-bending pulls. The Jeep engineer who field performance and load tested that hook was standing right there. I wont mention the MBS on that hook, as it is not for public consumption, but it is many times higher than GVWR.

It is just the spreading of misinformation that got my hackles up. . . some forum reader will look at your comment and think "I should remove these dangerous recovery points from my TJ". Nothing could be further from the truth.

Funny that everyone is so focused on the hook. They can handle the load of a pull like that without difficulty. What is more likely to be damage in a side pull is the track bar assemble especially the tie rod end on the frame mount. And if that broke then the entire front suspension would be put to rest in short order. The front unit bearings are not really designed to handle side loads of that nature either. But in everyones defense, I know the trail where this pull took place and there was not room to line up the Brute to face the other vehicles. It was a case of doing what you must to continue up the trail. Especially when the cameras are running.

pray4surf

Explorer
In case anyone missed this showing, here are your other chances

Dangerous Drives, "Extreme Off Road", SPEEDHD Mar 30 10:00 PM
Dangerous Drives, "Extreme Off Road", SPEED Mar 30 10:00 PM
Dangerous Drives, "Extreme Off Road", SPEEDHD Mar 31 2:00 AM
Dangerous Drives, "Extreme Off Road", SPEED Mar 31 2:00 AM
Dangerous Drives, "Extreme Off Road", SPEEDHD Mar 31 10:00 AM

Well done Scott and Sinuhe! Thoroughly enjoyed the episode and man are those American Expedition Vehicles bad-***** :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1