Prius gets rough-road suspension for Pakistan

haven

Expedition Leader
https://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/02/toyota-prius-gets-higher-clearance-better-suspension-in-pakista/

Indus Motor Company is a vehicle customizer in Pakistan. For more than 20 years, IMC has modified Toyota vehicle suspensions to prepare them for the rude experience of driving on Pakistani roads. Now IMC is developing a suspension mod for the Prius, including more ground clearance and stronger parts.

Sounds like IMC should get a booth at next November's SEMA show. A more capable, durable Prius would make an interesting long-distance travel machine in places where road conditions are poor (like California!).

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Is that the example in the link? The red one?

We have prius company cars, and honestly that red one looks exactly the same as the ones we have...lol.

Maybe that's the point? (That it looks pretty much the same.)

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Ah--interesting. Those pics look stock...maybe they didn't have any photostock of modified examples. Ah yes, the photo album is just labeled '2012 Prius'.

I drive a 2nd-gen Pri and am pretty pleased with its off-road ability for what it is. The torquey, electric drive pulls it right over small rocks and bumps. It's my favorite snow car as long as it isn't more than about 7" deep. I used it for some contract work on a mining property a while ago...touched the undercarriage in a few spots but it did pretty nicely--got some interesting looks from the miners.

4xdog

Explorer
That's very interesting idea, haven. I like it a lot. It could open up an entirely new category of vehicles for the US, or at least push the category Subaru have mostly to themselves in a new direction.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I have a 3rd gen prius that my daughter uses mostly - its a nice car but my experience with it in snow is that it sucks - easy to trigger the traction control and it shuts down way to early. Found that lots of steering wheel input back and forth helps - but I've still gotten it stuck way to many times in mild conditions. Once its going it does well. I hear that the 3rd gen is way worse this way compared to the 2nd gens.

I have slept in the back a couple of times on long solo road trips where I needed to cover a lot of distance and its nice having the heat or AC working while sleeping although the engine kicking on and off did wake me up...

If I was going to take it on bad roads a skid plate under the front would be the first mod - the plastic cover is pretty lame - I think its for aerodynamics only.

I did put air springs on the back which made a big difference when the hitch mounted bike rack is hauling our two 50's schwinn cruisers around - got to be close to 100 lbs of bikes. Also helped with the clearance on the rear going up hills and such. Cheap and easy mod - firestone air bags fit in the coil springs on the 3rd gen prius (but not the 2nd gens).

I think doing much mods and tire changes might severely impact the gas mileage - which is what the prius is all about - so I doubt its worth it...

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Removing the stock tires and installing snow tires has a marked improvement on performance in snow and ice. We have a 2008 Prius that we owned in Tahoe for many years and it did well on winter roads. It is also a trooper on dirt roads. A little more ground clearance and 4WD would make this vehicle ideal.

Washuai

Prius did its thing in Maui, including up the side of the mountain as a shoulder to let pass on dirt road. Got props from the local for that, too. Don't recall if 1st or 2nd gen. Don't regret renting the Prius over a Jeep, even though I'd rather own a Jeep (and by Jeep I mean Wrangler or Willy's). Didn't get stuck, but didn't try to go mud running during heavier rain, either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design