Project Alpha Bound II: Electric Boogaloo

60Dan

Explorer
Looks great Dan!
So now you've had time to ponder on the skinny look - whats in store? Paint or bedliner?

ab1985

Explorer
Full court press. A week from now we should be half way to Colorado. Most of my gear stays in my truck so it's always ready to go. My truck has been in the shop for the last few weeks, though, with parts on back order. So I picked up a few odds and ends for the trip and I wait. It's going to be a tight squeeze. Truck should be ready by Tuesday, but I'm out of town until Wednesday night for work. Thursday will be a scramble to pick up the rig, get emmisssions, update registration, and get an alignment so we can leave Saturday morning. Those who remember the last time I tried to make this trip in my 4Runner will recall the epic transmission explosion that put the kibash on the whole thing at the last minute. This time it was a wheel bearing that could have ended in disaster. Luckily caught it during a bunch of PM and suspension upgrades in preparation for the trip. *fingers crossed*

60Dan

Explorer
Have fun Dan! I did a ton of prep work before my big Yellowstone/Montana trip and it paid off big time. You will be on the road the same time I will be making my way back from the west coast.
Whats your itinerary?
We head out on the 24th July, back on the 8th August.
Don't forget to post up pics

ab1985

Explorer
Hey Dan, unfortunately I didn't get to the table. Truck has been tied up in the shop way longer than I expected (parts issue). I have the table on my slide out I used at expo east, but it's small. If I get some extra time and a wild hair on Thursday/Friday I may try something temporary. Otherwise it will have to wait until we return.

We'll be there Monday-Friday (27th - 31st). Wish we could stay longer but we burned time on the family vacation in May.

Let's get together for lunch in August. Want to check out your new rig and we can start planning a big 2016 trip.:coffeedrink:

ab1985

Explorer
Our trip is winding down, but we've had an amazing time. When we get back I'll post a trip report as well as some thoughts on my camping setup.

ab1985

Explorer
A quick update on my truck. It sat in the shop most of July with parts on back order. I had both knuckles completely rebuilt with all new bearings, seals, etc... I had bungs welded into the aftermarket exhaust to accept OEM O2 sensors. Idler pulley replaced, all fluids and belts replaced, and added spacers to the front to level it out. I need to add a winch which should get it close to perfect, but I ran out of time before the trip (it was up on a rack until about 48 hours prior to our departure). I ran it through emissions and updated the registration before I left, and rotated the tires and got a lifetime alignment from Firestone.

So with the truck back in tip-top mechanical condition, I need to shift focus to a couple of areas as time permits. I've still not filled the holes from the fender flare removal. For now I've taped them off so I don't accumulate rain water inside. The plan is to do color-matched liner around the fenders and on the Campteq top. I've enjoyed the aluminum look, but the plan has always been to do something a little more low key.

This trip was the most time I've spent in the vehicle with another person. My interior configuration is fine for two people, but I lose valuable space by keeping two of the 4 rear seats. This was a compromise I was willing to make originally. More and more I'm thinking this vehicle may not serve our family of 4 when camping, and I'm toying with the idea of making it a full-time 2-seater so I can optimize the space in the rear of the cabin. Not only do I lose actual cubic inches by keeping two seats, I also lose the ability to dedicate and optimize certain areas for storage and living space. My only complaint while camping during this trip was the fact that I was moving things around inside when we stopped/started. That takes time which goes against the main reasons I bought the top in the first place.

I'm going to mock up a few designs and keep scratching my head on this one.

60Dan

Explorer
Dan, great trip report and the pics look fantastic!

Regarding your truck and moving things around, I found that the biggest pain in the *** last year during our trip. Constantly taking things in and out was a pain, and why is it the thing you need is ALWAYS at the bottom??!
The new drawer system I have is proving to be one of the best mods so far. 1 drawer for cooking, camping and general eating, and the other for non-essentials. Couple of dedicated pelican cases on in the back or on the roof for specific things has helped. How about a slimline drawer system coupled with a more usable rack?

I like your idea of color matching everything, that sounds like it would look like your top was factory.

If all else fails, maybe I could help you build a trailer! ;)

ab1985

Explorer
Big thanks to 60Dan and another local mud member for helping roll some monstalina. I used factory Sage Pearl toner to tint the liner. Either we used too much or my paint is really faded (or a combination of the two) because it came out darker than expected. It's growing on me, though, and I like the look. I'll get some better pics including the hood and tailgate next weekend at expo. I have some touch ups to do and need to remove my rear bumper to get under the wings, but I'm really happy with it overall.

76B3333F-76FB-4B3C-9E95-7AF6AF05CD61_zpsy7wdlavk.jpg

ab1985

Explorer
I kinda like the subtle two tone look. It came out great!

Thanks. Coming from another 40th Anniversary owner that's good news. :). Originally I planned on doing the top as well. I like the look, but I'm glad I stopped short on the fenders, hood, and tailgate. If, big IF, I paint the top I want it to match the factory color. We shall see ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad