Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
When you operate these vents papawheely have you got other vents lower down to draw in fresh air? Otherwise they'll suck in air through seals etc. as they'll need to draw air from somewhere. Which is an issue if you are using them whilst driving or in a dusty environment. Specially on dusty roads where they will be quite good at sucking in dust through door and window seals. I suppose you could just leave a window open a crack but then there might be associated security issues.

I need to fire them all up and see how much they draw. I'm sure these little fans aren't going to suck the walls in, lol. They will probably not be running unless I'm stopped but some type of filtered opening could be used.

'Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch'? I don't thing that'll leak.

a flat wall-mounted furnace filter on the wall would be a good solution for that. On the outside, say behind the cab. Drop in from the top. Like the side panel on a swamp cooler. In a common cheaply-available size, like 20x24.

\btw, when you mount the computer fans, the air comes out the side the label is on.

\\Used to mess with computer case modding many years ago, had some fun with fans

bezelduct350_zpscgmn3ckr.jpg
bezelhorror350_zpskeybnopa.jpg

turbine350_zpso3llhyfm.jpg

If it's on an RV, you have to slather it in goop. The parts are junk, it's the goop that matters. Thanks for the fan direction info, I was wondering about that. :ylsmoke:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Slinging more goop, got a second vent installed before the heat chased me inside for a cool drink. I was laying underneath the uhaul and spied some cool parts I can rob including a gas filter and trans cooler. I have a manual trans but maybe I will run a cooler system like they do on rear ends.

Yes, it's been discussed here that one possibility is to draw cool air from under the truck while it's parked.

Perhaps I'm coming into the discussion blindly and too late, but the air temp under the truck shouldn't be much cooler than atop the truck. It feels hotter to you and I due to the radiant heat from the sun/uv rays. The air will be slightly hotter on top of the truck due to the radiation from the truck's body and camper's body heating up the air slightly, but I bet we're talking the difference between 1-2 degrees. You'll have to make the call to see if that headache is worth it.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Perhaps I'm coming into the discussion blindly and too late, but the air temp under the truck shouldn't be much cooler than atop the truck. It feels hotter to you and I due to the radiant heat from the sun/uv rays. The air will be slightly hotter on top of the truck due to the radiation from the truck's body and camper's body heating up the air slightly, but I bet we're talking the difference between 1-2 degrees. You'll have to make the call to see if that headache is worth it.

Yes, all good points.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
It's scary to look out the window and see 30 foot high flames a mile away. The air tankers really knocked it down fast considering how intense the flames were. I can still see flames in the darkness.

rayra

Expedition Leader
was watching your **** burn live yesterday. Those folks compelled to stop on the 15 really got screwed. The footage of street cars driving on off-road trails was interesting.

big thunderstorms here now, really raining like crazy and getting flash flood warnings in Santa Clarita.

now all we need is a big earthquake. And frogs.

fire111.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Oh crap, Pappa! That'd freak me out!

You have no idea. I was inside working on the computer when a friend texted me. "Big fire by you, you OK?" I walked outside and looked north. 30 foot flames on the ridge 2 miles away and the smoke coming towards the house. Thankfully, the wind shifted and the tanker crews kicked *****!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1