Project MULE - Expedition build on a 1991 1500 4x4 Suburban

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Ok I know the thread has been pretty quiet lately. I've been taking care of the business side of stuff and the new engine project has been getting a lot of my attention.

Here is the build list so far.

(UPDATED 07-05-2014)

We have found out our Suburban (as great as it is) is just out of power when loaded down and hitting the hills.
We decided to go with a SBC just due to the fact I found one real cheap and I don't have to switch much of anything on the truck. Other engine ideas were explored, 5.3, 6.0 7.4 vortec and even the 8.1. The deals I ended up with for the main parts of this project just said “SBC”.

Below is the initial list of parts. I have already spoke with Compcams and TPIS. With all the info and weights I had Compcams recommended the cam in the list below. I have been doing some serious research even picked up a few reference books. Now this is not my first time building a motor but it is my first time building (per-say) a fuel injection system. If you see something wrong or I am missing please don't flame me as this is my first initial list of something new. Input is always welcome.

Engine short block: 99 5.7 Vortec
Heads: EQ CH350C Vortec Heads (with pre-'87 intake bolt pattern)
Cam: compcams XR264HR #8-501-08
GMPP Roller lifters #12499225
Chevrolet Performance Timing Chain Sets 12371043
Est 9.5:1 CR
90-92 Tuned Port Injection
Stock runners
Stock TB
Stock Corvette (Pre '87) TPI intake
24lb blue top injectors
BBK Adjustable fuel psi regulator #BBK-1714
Speed density setup
1227730 ECM
All new sensors.

Other stuff
ALDLdorid app
Tunerpro on the laptop
1320 Electronics ALDL Bluetooth transmitter

The block is already at the shop. I am actually video logging the entire step by step build with them. Pretty much all the parts are more or less stock and is not running me much more then a regular rebuild.

engine-007.jpg

Aside from the one TPI I have I just picked up another pile of TPIs. a full TPI unit from a corvette (85-86) standard head bolt pattern. and a spare unit minus plenum for F-body heads. It was a good 4th of July. $120 for both. already sold one of the throttle bodies and this just saves me spending the 400 on the Scoggin Dickey intake manifold and I should even make money on the left over parts.

engine-006.jpg

Last edited:

Renntag

Adventurer
Your thoroughness and attention to detail is great. Thanks for the update. It will be good to get the report on the next hill climb maneuver with the new motor.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Renntag, I wish it would be sooner but it wont. Odds are this new motor wont startup until around Christmas.

Renntag

Adventurer
That seems like a reasonable time line given that life has to be managed at the same time. Regardless of when, I am still interested in the report of measured improvement. I am going a different route as you know and will share the blow by blow in another thread. I like the approach you have taken keeping it simple and also using a lighter weight SBC. My criteria for diesel means more weight. The 6BT is a power house, but will require more spring and axle.

Keep up the effort. My build direction is being inspired by what you are doing.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I had thought about Diesel at a couple times in my life witht his truck but these SBC parts just keep seeming to fall into my lap. :ylsmoke:

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Just traded a CB for a '88 700r4 4wd tranny. Now I have a tranny to rebuild in my fall class. Decided to take a transmission class.

tran-001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1