Project "Snapping Turtle": 1KZ-TE into a 2nd Gen 4Runner

jeverich

Luddite
Good to hear that you're making some progress!

Fuel/Water separator - I'd go with a Parker Racor filter. As soon as anything is painted CAT yellow, the price about doubles.. Racors are readily available, cheap and effective.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Good to hear that you're making some progress!

Fuel/Water separator - I'd go with a Parker Racor filter. As soon as anything is painted CAT yellow, the price about doubles.. Racors are readily available, cheap and effective.

Nice, thanks for the heads up on the FWS aye... I was going to go CAT because I've read a LOT of the Aussie guys with KX trucks run them and CAT is here in portland and I have access to their parts but I know exactly what you mean about the price... I'll effeminately look into the Racor unit thank you.

WELL!!! It went into LCNW today... I'm over the moon exited to have these guys working on the truck. I decided to do the rear leaf-spring swap as I've been driving my 1st gen for a fair few years now and frankly I like the firm "truckish" ride. My dad rode down to the shop with me today and made a very astute observation about the springs that "they sure can haul a load but the truck doesn't kick you in the back like you;d expect for that kind of load capacity SO... I decided that if I'm building a "Lifer" rig I'd do it the way I wanted first time out.

We're just waiting on some parts to come in and she'll start going under the knife. I'm going to let them work their magic (including making me some awesome tube bumpers/sliders/fender-bars) but I'll definitely be getting my hands dirty with them. It's a small world, but my wife grew up with one of the owners and I played soccer growing up with the other. A third friend that used to work their built a few of my other friends rigs years ago and is still really good friends so it was sort of fate that I would go to them to have them build my rig. The beauty is that they know me well enough to tell me to get out of their way if they need to work but by the same token they;re willing to let me do some wrenching and help me learn exactly whats going on with the truck as I'l be the one field repairing it. I'd of loved to build it all myself, but... that just wasn't in the cards if I wanted to drive it in the next 5 years so... LCNW is a GREAT alternative. Can't say enough good about them and the trucks they build...

Some pictures... Apologies for the general LAMEness of these shots, but I'm finally able to get started on this thing. Should be a LOT more interesting in the next few weeks.

The 4Runner all stuffed full of 1KZ-TE parts for the swap/build...
20131023_092903.jpg

All hooked up and ready to go to the shop...
20131023_093903.jpg

And just to make this worth looking at... Just a SMALL portion of the beautiful things they have down at LCNW.
20131023_101527.jpg
20131023_101536.jpg
20131023_101555.jpg
20131023_102519.jpg
20131023_101522.jpg
20131023_102503.jpg
20131023_102509.jpg

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Well, the Diesel's on the Stand being gone over, the rear suspension and the motor mounts are all chopped out and being built up...

Turns out I got a Hi-Ace motor so I've had to track down a KZN130/185 Oil Pan/Dipstick/Pickup etc BUT, I found "The Source" as it were in Dave from Japan4x4. guys awesome and really on top of it. Without his help it sounds like nearly every 1KZ-TE swap in N.America would still be "ongoing"

So, Here's the Rear sus. being built up: I used CS009 OME Springs just like on my 1st Gen. I was going to go to a longer spring, but these just WORK plain and simple on my first gen and they ride great for what I like (firm ride, good control and predictable flex).
Rear Suspension - 01.jpg
Rear Suspension - 02.jpg

here' the 1KZ-TE: Already had one guy come into the shop and try to buy the thing for his truck...
Motor - Rear 01.jpg
Engine Crossmember T-case etc 01.jpg

This is my "wrong" oil pan... Man yeah, looking at it I can't imagine that would ever clear a front diff... Almost made me want to SAS the truck but I gotta have a good DD as well as a good expo platform so I decided against it... for now.
Oil Pan1.jpg
Oil Pan2.jpg

Still have to double check my "pooched parts" list before I order from Japan 4x4 but I'll have it all ordered before the weeks end.
Bad TPS:
TPS needs replacing aye.jpg

Fitting off the Vacuum Pump got pooched too:
Vacuum Pump fitting.jpg

That's all or now, should have more done by next week if not this weekend...

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Figured out the Oil Pan PN# issue... for anyone searching on 1KZ-TE swaps, unless you get a KZN130 half-cut/engine, you're gonna need ALL this stuff... I had a REAL hard time tracking down all these PN#'s and with the Help of Dave Steadman at Japan4x4 I was able to do it... if you do one of these swaps, make friends with Dave early on, you're gonna need him aye. So, I'll post all the ON's for the oil-pan stuff that became such an issue for me.

*All part numbers are Toyota PN's, (Aka not Denso and respective manufacturers etc)

KZN130 oil pan - PN 12101-67070
Oil pan strainer/PU sub assembly - PN 15104-6750
Gauge, oil-level sub. ***. - PN 15301-67020
Guide Oil level gauge (dipstick) - PN 11452-67020
Drain plug - PN 90341-12012
Drain plug gas. - PN 90430-12031

Oh and the TPS (used on a LOT of Toyota motors the world over is PN 89452-22090

Clay

Adventurer
Looking good!

I would vouch for the Racor filter housings on your truck. We use them on all of the motors for the ship I work on as well as the RHIB's. If you can't find them locally there in Portland I saw them personally in Astoria at Englund marine supply a couple of weeks back. They work very well and actually separate water out of fuel as well as filter dirt.

I can't wait to see pictures of the body armor and how things sit with those leaf springs in back.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Looking good!

I would vouch for the Racor filter housings on your truck. We use them on all of the motors for the ship I work on as well as the RHIB's. If you can't find them locally there in Portland I saw them personally in Astoria at Englund marine supply a couple of weeks back. They work very well and actually separate water out of fuel as well as filter dirt.

I can't wait to see pictures of the body armor and how things sit with those leaf springs in back.

Cheers mate, it can't get built fast enough, but it's good to take the time to do it right the first go aye. Getting ready to start mocking up the armor though as we're in a holding pattern with the motor as we wait for the oil pan etc. Thanks for the info on the Racor units, that's good to know. I THINK I have a good place to get them, but I'm out in Astoria enough that I may just stop by Englund now that I know they're there. Thanks or the heads up :beer:

I had intended to go with a front winch Tray, but I think now that I'll go with F/R 2" hitch sockets as it'll be more versatile and being in the NW means that winches can live a hard life in the front bumper. I've already got the winch and it's on a removable hitch tray so I think I'll just stick with that. I'm having a ton of fun with this truck being such a "bank canvas" as I get to design all the little details that I've decided on after years of "making due" with other set ups. Having a blank slate has it's disadvantages though too.... most of all I keep second guessing myself on design as I want to "get it perfect" the first time (something I'm aware is quite impossible and somewhat pointless, but hey... it's my truck :lol: ) so it's lead to a LOT of little crumpled scraps of paper in the corner... The biggest question on my mind right now: Do I want a rear swing-out tire/jerry-can carrier??? I know I WANT one, but I don't know that I'll like living with it when I'm not on the trail or having to use said tire/can. I will be working out of the back of my truck so between the TG and a swing out I think it might make it PITA esp. with a trailer on the back. BUT, as I keep coming back to, where else am I going to mount a 33" or 35" spare tire??? So, yeah...

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
welp, I'm jealous! That looks like a great project....wish I had a diesel.

Hahaha, yeah, I've been REAL jealous f the few Diesel conversions I've seen and after having lived in Australia for years I just couldn't stand not having a "Clatter Wagon" of my own so... I had to build one.

Cheers

Dave

Clay

Adventurer
Where to mount a spare tire, that's a really good question. I believe that a 33x10.50 tire fits up under the frame rails just fine, so keep that in mind. Since I don't plan on running a bigger tire than that I plan in leaving mine down there.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Where to mount a spare tire, that's a really good question. I believe that a 33x10.50 tire fits up under the frame rails just fine, so keep that in mind. Since I don't plan on running a bigger tire than that I plan in leaving mine down there.

Yeah 'm going to run "Tall Skinnys" and may run the same 33x10.50's (or 255/85's) I have on my current Runner (my FS spare is down there too) but it all comes down to final gearing for the motor. I'm certainly not put of by "having to" run 35's :sombrero: Nice 2nd Gen BTW Clay, I LOVE thos rims/tires on there, it looks really nice and very "Cruiser-ish" aye. I'm now reading through your site, good stuff mate, I too have a "Bug out" kit so I really like what I'm reading. I esp LOVE the trip to Kuwait City, what a neat place to visit as a westerner aye.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Clay

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words on the website!

Here's one idea for a rear cargo rack that I've been throwing around:

rear-rack-side-view.jpg

Kind of like a jeep cooler rack that sits above the spare tire, but lower.

I was also wondering what you think your motor swap is going to cost you? Since I just put a rebuilt 22re in my 4runner I'm curious what the difference in cost might be. I have another truck with a wore out motor and I'd really rather swap a diesel in if the price is close to the same.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I like that idea and I've gt the same Marlin Bumper on my 1st Gen, it's taught me the value of good armor so I intend to mimic it's shape quite a bit. I think because of the trailering use I'd go with a center split/short dual swing-out. I'm glad to see one of those bumpers on a 2nd Gen cause I've got a 1st gen and at first glance thy look to have a slightly different rear valance line but it looks just as good on the 2nd Gen's so that's good.

Cost wise, I got the Engine and truck together for a pretty good deal ($3500) and I've already ordered $1800 in parts from ARB/OME/Bud Built and another $800 to get little parts/pieces for the swap and there will be a few more things to buy for the motor refresh and all the armor/tube-work so... I'm hoping to come in under 15K as a goal, but not at the cost of a good solid build.

The way I look at it, I can't buy this truck here in the US (certainly couldn't get anything anywhere NEAR it's specs/strength/capability for $15K ) nor do I see a better alternative (for my tastes/wants) in any modern vehicle (really not my style, a 3rd Gen's the latest I'd go, but I prefer the tail-gate even though the window thing can be a royal PITA, and while not as smooth, the old Hi-Trac IFS is a more robust system then the new coil-sus/R&P-steering system). Plus no 4wd truck offered by Toyota NA can touch it's range/mileage combined with the capability this truck will have, and when I'm doing some of the trips I like to do or have planned it's nice to know I can go out to remote places and get back unsupported. As it is, with the bigger fuel tank (23gal) and 1-2 5gal Jerry cans I'm looking to be able to drive out to Idaho, do some camping and light wheeling/exploring and come back home to Portland all w/o ever having to stop at a gas station. That's pretty impressive to me. As is being able to roll down to the Overland Expo next year in comfort and with half as many gas stops... After living with nothing but diesels in Australia I honesty believe that for anything but sand and deep mud wheeling where you want high winding power, diesel is just flat out the perfect fuel for a 4wd. The range and the power band just makes perfect sense, plus, I just love the whistle and clatter sound :sombrero:

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
it's great to see this project happening. love seeing the older toyota's getting some love and well deserved upgrades. might do this conversion in my 94 at some point in the future.

i know you're not there yet, but once the motor is in and the truck is running would you post up some videos if possible?

good luck on the build and look forward to seeing your updates.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
it's great to see this project happening. love seeing the older toyota's getting some love and well deserved upgrades. might do this conversion in my 94 at some point in the future.

i know you're not there yet, but once the motor is in and the truck is running would you post up some videos if possible?

good luck on the build and look forward to seeing your updates.
Thanks mate, I appreciate it, and I feel the same way about these old trucks. The underpinnings are certainly stout enough to warrant keeping them on the road. I absolutely will post some driving and other vids of her, in fact I'm hoping to just be able to get more pictures of progress here soon as well, but yeah, I'll take some vids.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

BeratE

Observer
Hi Dave!
I commented on your recent thread on ToyotaDiesel, but just saw this one over on ExPo. I am here more often anyway. Good to see the progress you are making. I have tackled quite a bit with this engine in my Tacoma, so if you need any help or documents, I have amassed quite a few over the years. I know I need to put up a build thread here, but it always feels like my truck isn't cool enough yet, so I just keep tinkering and figure I will post something later. Maybe after the water to air intercooler and garrett gt2560r turbo swap gets finished, I will post something. I do now have parts drawn up to fairly simply make an adapter to the intake manifold inlet for an intercooler that I am happy to share if you want.
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design