Project Wander Wagon

angusdevil

Adventurer
Just now got to this thread..... are we really talking about Lorenz?!?!

I've seen Lorenz, next to Kore, next to Carli and next to Thuren... all with very similiar (almost identical) setups. The Lorenz setup was a joke, Kore's wasn't much better but the Carli and Thurens really excelled! Seriously, give Sage and Don a call and you'll see why having quality components is needed.

Aside from that, the rig is looking pretty good man!

TRACTION

Adventurer
Just now got to this thread..... are we really talking about Lorenz?!?!

I've seen Lorenz, next to Kore, next to Carli and next to Thuren... all with very similiar (almost identical) setups. The Lorenz setup was a joke, Kore's wasn't much better but the Carli and Thurens really excelled! Seriously, give Sage and Don a call and you'll see why having quality components is needed.

Aside from that, the rig is looking pretty good man!

Thanks. So what's bad specifically about Lorenz? Reason I'm asking is they seem to have a front spring specific to heavy front ends (bumpers, winches) so that's why I'm leaning that way. Haven't done much research yet, just reading on the web but I'll make some calls to Carli, Thuren, and Kore before I make any final decisions.

angusdevil

Adventurer
Thanks. So what's bad specifically about Lorenz? Reason I'm asking is they seem to have a front spring specific to heavy front ends (bumpers, winches) so that's why I'm leaning that way. Haven't done much research yet, just reading on the web but I'll make some calls to Carli, Thuren, and Kore before I make any final decisions.

If you talk to Sean Lorenz, ask him exactly how chose his springs.... you're not going to find an answer. Do a little research on the internet and you'll find some good documentation about what I speak of. Sean is has been caught a few times reverse engineering products. I'm really not trying to bad mouth, just trying to lay down some facts. Personally, I would rather support the guys who are trying to make the suspension scene better with testing and improvements than buy some other product to save a few bucks.

Now with that out of the way, ask Sage or Don, they will tell you the exact spring rate and what it will work best at. As for the Kore group... great hard products but their coils in general are a little stiff.

I've had Kore, Thuren and Carli on my truck and they all have the special advantages. My suggestion for you would be the Carli coils as they are a bit stiffer than Thurens but not quite as teeth rattling as the Kores.... and thats taking into consideration all of the extra weight up front.

As for shocks, sky is the limit but I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 2.0. Your truck and butt will thank you later.

jkcobra

Observer
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but just wandering what else you have done with this build? Recently bought a 2013 2500 and looking to go a similar route with mine. Really love the powder coated rims on yours.

Thanks!

TRACTION

Adventurer
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but just wandering what else you have done with this build? Recently bought a 2013 2500 and looking to go a similar route with mine. Really love the powder coated rims on yours.

Thanks!

I always wonder if people actually read these but I guess so! I'll get some updates posted in the next few weeks. Lots of trips, Death Valley, Sedona, Utah, WABDR, Whistler, etc. Truck is still fundamentally the same but a few key changes that might be of interest.

rb70383

Observer
Noticed on the bumper that it looks like the shackle mounts swivel? ARB or did you put those on. Nice truck. I dont have a newer dodge, just my 01 and my new project, a 85 Crew cab.

TRACTION

Adventurer
Noticed on the bumper that it looks like the shackle mounts swivel? ARB or did you put those on. Nice truck. I dont have a newer dodge, just my 01 and my new project, a 85 Crew cab.

They don't swivel... at least intentionally. The mounts are a screw in eyebolt type mount with a backing nut/plate thingy and depending on how which side I hook the winch line to and how tight I spool it in sometimes they turn a bit. :eek:

Overall I'm happy with the bumper but if I had my wish I'd get an aluminum Buckstop! The Arb is a good weight, strength and cost compromise though. The front end is already heavy enough with the diesel engine so didn't want to make it much worse. The winch is a little hard to access when needed and a pain to install initially but once there works fine. I've had a few recovery pulls and so far so good. Eventually I'd like to do a rear winch as well.

TRACTION

Adventurer
Here's a few truck oriented pics from my various outings.

Day%20Two%20%28285%29-L.jpg

Day%20Three%20%28135%29-L.jpg

Day%204%20%2825%29-L.jpg

Day%20Four%20%28559%29-L.jpg

Day%209%20%28316%29-L.jpg

Day%2010%20%28311%29-L.jpg

IMG_3664-L.jpg

IMG_3843-L.jpg

IMG_5295-L.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I like the ARB,but questioned them about the absence of a skidplate similar to what they provide the Ford units with. Unless ARB has changed their design,when you squat down their design leaves the ps cooler,lines ,intercooler and radiator exposed. Very fine truck!

TRACTION

Adventurer
I like the ARB,but questioned them about the absence of a skidplate similar to what they provide the Ford units with. Unless ARB has changed their design,when you squat down their design leaves the ps cooler,lines ,intercooler and radiator exposed. Very fine truck!

You're absolutely right about the exposure issue with the Arb bumper. It's one of the reasons I'd like to change my bumper or at least create some skid plate protection for that area. So far I've been fortunate to not have anything damage that area but it's always on my mind.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Love your build man, I've got a similar looking 2nd gen I've been working in for a while. Really like the look you have gotten with all your mods, and hope mine will be similar one day. And I've also wondered if people actually read these, but I broke my foot a while and I can say that I have read many in the last month and this is one of my favorites. Very simple, reliable, and too the point. Cheers, and great build, much Cascadia love from Oregon

purdytj

seeker
I just read this whole thread - nice! I'd like to do some of the WABDR, especially sections 1 & 2. Let me know if you're interested.
Subscribed...

TRACTION

Adventurer
I just read this whole thread - nice! I'd like to do some of the WABDR, especially sections 1 & 2. Let me know if you're interested.
Subscribed...

Absolutely, let's do it! If you want to check out the pictures from our WABDR trip they are here.

purdytj

seeker
Absolutely, let's do it! If you want to check out the pictures from our WABDR trip they are here.

Great images - you've re-ignited the bug for me to do it! Let me know if you'd like to meet for drinks / coffee if you're not able to go to the WA Overland Expo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1