Proud First Time Owner of a 1999 LC100!

EastWest

Observer
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the LC world, overlanding, and this forum. I've been this website to research before deciding to make the purchase. It is a 1999 Land Cruiser with 131,500 miles on it. The body is straight with only very minor scratches and no dents. From what I gather from the previous owners it has been meticulously cared for and never been off-roading except maybe a dirt road or two just to "test it out".

I purchased the vehicle primarily because we have an Alaskan Malamute and want a vehicle that provides him room, provides us 4WD security in the New England snow for the winters, and because we'll be driving from Washington State to Connecticut this May and want a pack mule to haul our stuff.

I'll create a build page later, as I plan on doing some things before this May, but I'll appreciate any recommendations. I'm considering the OME Medium Kit suspension rather than the heavy kit as it will be mostly used as a daily driver, and only occasionally used for off road adventures for now. I'm also considering an ARB front bumper and Warn VR12000 winch to provide security from wildlife on our drive, and from wild parkers in the urban jungle. The winch would be helpful for us or others during the winter.

1999LC-100_expo.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Welcome! Great base vehicle! I have the OME 865 coils in the rear of mine, and while the city/highway ride is fantastic, I wish they were a tiny bit stiffer. The 863s are (I believe) a bit firmer. I would contact Curt at Cruiser Outfitters (http://cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_OME_coils.html) and discuss your needs. I love the overall ride of my '99 with OME front and rear. I think your plans are perfect for your use.

EastWest

Observer
863 is firmer - I ran '860s on my stocker. This might help http://tlcfaq.com/main/2012/09/common-ome-rear-spring-replacement-specs/

Thanks! That's helpful. I'd like to have the stance of the vehicle leveled out for sure, and trying also to decide whether or not to replace the upper control arms with the SLR ones at the same time. I was planning to go do white rim trail, but it's booked full during the time I'll be in that area, so I'll be looking at alternatives for mid/late May, nothing that requires major mods, but something we can spend a day or three out in the backcountry on.

fireball

Explorer
Great truck! Do a little searching over on MUD, lots of info on the 100-series over there. There are a few folks who have integrated a winch with the OEM front bumper, and if I were to do it over again that's what I'd do. As my truck is built it is big and heavy and slow. That's the price you pay for a capable serious off road rig, but honestly the family isn't really into the serious off roading. So a mild lift, 33" tires, and sliders would be great for what we do most (mild trails, dirt roads, local forest service stuff).

Benc

Explorer
Great truck! Do a little searching over on MUD, lots of info on the 100-series over there. There are a few folks who have integrated a winch with the OEM front bumper, and if I were to do it over again that's what I'd do. As my truck is built it is big and heavy and slow. That's the price you pay for a capable serious off road rig, but honestly the family isn't really into the serious off roading. So a mild lift, 33" tires, and sliders would be great for what we do most (mild trails, dirt roads, local forest service stuff).

One thing to keep in mind is animals! A run in with a dear or elk while driving cross country could really put a damper on the trip if your not protected! That is one of the main reasons for the front bumper/bull bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastWest

Observer
I am very much in line with the simple build mentality after speaking with some local long time off-roaders! Thanks for the advice.

EastWest

Observer
Yes, animals were one of the main reasons that we have considered the front bumper! Doing a 4,000 mile overland trip over 30 days we'll have lots of opportunity to see the wildlife. Hopefully we will minimize our driving during dusk or dawn hours.
One thing to keep in mind is animals! A run in with a dear or elk while driving cross country could really put a damper on the trip if your not protected! That is one of the main reasons for the front bumper/bull bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastWest

Observer
My local shop is recommending OME Suspension Kit for Stock/Light load for smoother ride quality; front torsion bars and shocks, rear springs and shocks (med load) and shock guards (for gravel protection). Does that seem like a good combo? Also, I've done a little reading and realize everyone has their own preferences on tires, like everything else, but as for 33's am I looking at a 285 or is a 265 good enough? I'm down to either General Grabber AT2 265/75/16, Goodyear DuraTrac 265/75/16, BF Goodrich KO2 265/75/16, or Cooper AT3 265/70/16 (only because Cooper ATW's seem harder to find). I'm wondering if there's much of a difference, not in performance of the tire b/c of brand, etc. but because of the difference in size, mainly because the Coopers and BFG's are slightly different sizes. Or, maybe it's not enough to make a difference and I should just pick my fave.

It's going to be a DD, with occasionally trails, etc. and has to compete with New England winters.

aldenfost

Congrats, looks good! Been checking out the 99 LC series and i know 2 people who are very happy with this generation.

doubleroses

Adventurer
Check out the review Overland Journal did on on the Cooper AT3's. I plan on getting AT3's when I get some new tires. I also plan on going with the OME Heavy Lift since it'll be my wife and I along with our daughter who will overland together.

fireball

Explorer
If you can avoid putting bumpers and winches and tons of gear you can keep the stock suspension. Make sure you drive a fully built fully loaded truck before venturing down that road. It rides much much different than the stock configuration. Sliders, 33s", a torsion bar crank and *perhaps* some slightly stiffer springs in the rear would be my strong suggestion for an overland vehicle that won't be asked to run hard trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online