Pulled the trigger on Montero 2.5

freewayross

Adventurer
Hello all,

Have been longing for a Montero 2.5 for quite some time. Saw three of them, but the sellers seemed to want an arm and leg even though the Valve cover is leaking, timing belt or water pump never changed..... one was even smoking out the exhaust.

Saw this one was within what I wanted to spend and only had 107xxx miles. BUT it was 5 hours away from me.

Woke up today morning at 1 AM and one bus and a few subways later got to the car. Seemed okay condition for it's age, Interior could use good cleaning/shampooing. But mechanically looked and felt strong. Showed few leaks and other stuffs to the guy selling it and got a good discount.

Drove it back 5 hours without any problems.

But observed the following things:

- The SUV is very bouncy, is that usual?
- It did not feel so sure footed at higher speed, partly because i felt the steering was very soft and free (compared to BMW and Acura I drive). Also in cross winds it seems to sway and made me very nervous. Is that normal? What could be causing it?

Need to do some preventative maintenance of the SUV, are there any members in MD/VA/DC area who do it at reasonable prices or Any suggestions for Mitsubishi mechanics you'll have used in the region? Thanks in Advance!

After taking care of the maintenance stuff would like to put some 31" wheels and try to get a bull bar (craigslist here I come)

Here's the SUV, it's a 2000 Endeavour (not sure what's unique about Endeavour Package). Doesn't have rear lockers :088:

IMG_20150620_181801600_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150620_181740993_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150620_181814700_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150620_181814700_HDR.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
The steering on these compared to most vehicles is well numb, road feel is pretty bad, Bouncyness is probably blown shocks and possibly ball joints and wheel bearings. I would suggest doing the preventive maintenance yourself, they are easy to work on and you'll save a ton of money and learn something in the process.

freewayross

Adventurer
The steering on these compared to most vehicles is well numb, road feel is pretty bad, Bouncyness is probably blown shocks and possibly ball joints and wheel bearings. I would suggest doing the preventive maintenance yourself, they are easy to work on and you'll save a ton of money and learn something in the process.

Yep, would love to do..... need to find DYI's. So far I have only done simple stuff on car's like brake pads change, crank shaft sensors, plugs....... so a little hesitant.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Probably could use some new shocks (did you run them on the HARD setting?) and a suspension refresh, that being said it is a truck based SUV not a car so expect it drive as such. It does however handle like a sports car compared to other same era 4x4's, hence the legendary rally truck status. give it the love and attention it needs now and you can enjoy it for a long long time. Good score on a great rig.

Eric M

Adventurer
It can handle pretty nicely, I found it quite surprising in that regard. It doesn't actually share anything with a truck, though.

freewayross

Adventurer
Probably could use some new shocks (did you run them on the HARD setting?) and a suspension refresh, that being said it is a truck based SUV not a car so expect it drive as such. It does however handle like a sports car compared to other same era 4x4's, hence the legendary rally truck status. give it the love and attention it needs now and you can enjoy it for a long long time. Good score on a great rig.

I do not have the suspension settings you are talking about but I did see that in a 99 i checked out.

Can someone point me to where I can find the complete set (shocks+springs+struts) put together? I feel uncomfortable compressing the spring myself and putting stuff together..... could be dangerous for a novice like me around a loaded spring

Eric M

Adventurer
There's no struts on any Montero. Don't worry about the springs or torsion bars, once you get the car in the air they won't be all loaded up and you shouldn't have to compress the coils too much, if at all, to remove them. Torsion bars can be fiddly, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Rocky Road Outfitters sells the complete OME lift kit, if that's what you're looking for.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Replacement KYB shocks are cheap. Easy to install as well. So put those on first, and see where to go from there.

freewayross

Adventurer
Yup was considering the KYB's Mono they are relatively lower priced and from what I've read they seem to last longer than some of the higher price ones available out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1