Random Scenic Shots

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
I have a water cooled Intel i7 960 @ 3.2ghz system with 24 gigs of ram running a Windows 7 64 bit OS so I should be able to at least play with the concept a bit.

I'll have to keep my eye open for some opportunities. I'm heading up to Southern Utah next month for a week so I should be able to find something.

Thanks for sharing your process.

you should be able to crank them out no problem then. before i got this machine is was an all day chore to put together an 8 shot 21mp pano. literally took an hour +, now its a few min tops.

seems all i ever shoot is panos now. you are actually better off not using a tripod if you can and rotate/pivot around the lens rather than turning the camera on a tripod. overlap your shots by about 1/3 and use a 24-50mm lens if you have a full frame camera. super wide angle shots are too distorted to get them to stitch easily, anything more than a 50mm and you end up having to take too many shots.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
you should be able to crank them out no problem then. before i got this machine is was an all day chore to put together an 8 shot 21mp pano. literally took an hour +, now its a few min tops.

seems all i ever shoot is panos now. you are actually better off not using a tripod if you can and rotate/pivot around the lens rather than turning the camera on a tripod. overlap your shots by about 1/3 and use a 24-50mm lens if you have a full frame camera. super wide angle shots are too distorted to get them to stitch easily, anything more than a 50mm and you end up having to take too many shots.

I have 7D crop and my lens choices are an obvious WA 10-22mm, or my 17-55mm and lastly my 70-200mm. With a crop like the 7D would you recommend going all the way up to 70-200mm and shoot at 70mm for the pano captures or staying with the 17-55mm range?

I'm curious on the suggestion to not use a tripod. I would think using a level tripod and rotating the head for a row and then resetting and rotating again for subsequent rows would be the preferred method. Especially for night shots. Why do you prefer the hand held approach?

Thanks for the education. :sombrero:

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
I have 7D crop and my lens choices are an obvious WA 10-22mm, or my 17-55mm and lastly my 70-200mm. With a crop like the 7D would you recommend going all the way up to 70-200mm and shoot at 70mm for the pano captures or staying with the 17-55mm range?

I'm curious on the suggestion to not use a tripod. I would think using a level tripod and rotating the head for a row and then resetting and rotating again for subsequent rows would be the preferred method. Especially for night shots. Why do you prefer the hand held approach?

Thanks for the education. :sombrero:

stick with the 17-55 or the 10-22 on the 22 end of the scale. the reason not to use a tripod is because you can rotate around the lens much easier rather than rotating the camera. the more camera rotation the harder it is to stitch the image. stick with 5-8 shot vertical shot horizontal panos to start with and only do single row. once you figure that out you can expand from there.

i use a pano head now on a leveled tripod turning the camera/ lens on the exact optical center of the lens... but they cost a ton of money, are heavy and confusing to set up and calibrate the lenses. I spent years just hand-holding shots and it worked great.

reprocesses and restitched the bells shot from last night still need to remove the halo on the mountains. and brighten it up a bit
6168014113_fdf6646b9f_z.jpg

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
the only way the stars would move faster or slower in the sky would be if the rotation of the earth was not constant.

I think you just said the right thing but drew the wrong conclusion from it. The rotational speed of the earth as measured at the equator is less than that near the poles, due to the decrease in circumference. Sorta like why we have open diffs in our rigs, so that when we turn corners, the outer wheel can turn at a different speed to catch up with the inner wheel. Or vice versa. Whatever. Super nice image GrandTaco.

Last edited:
Random scenic shot taken with my cell phone during a hike at Dinosaur Valley State. Park. This was at about mile 4 of our 5 mile hike that day (kiddo is only five and she wanted to hike five miles :ylsmoke: )

313395_662193168041_62002887_33539891_212968057_n.jpg

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Did she make it the whole way, or did she get a piggy back ride after the photo was taken?

Good way to wear her out! I bet she slept good that night :victory:

She's actually a pretty awesome little hiker! And the terrain wasn't easy either. But When she says she's tired, we sit, have a drink of water and a snack. And we get up when she's ready.

taco2go

Explorer
Your daughter is a trooper! My 5 year old managed a 4 mile back in August, and the water and snack breaks were key :)

i-4SQsRmv-M.jpg

Grntrdtaco, Those are some spectacular fall pictures!

Also important is challenging/technical/ interesting terrain. Otherwise she gets bored and doesn't care for the easy gravel packed trails.... which is good, I hate em too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1