jeepersjeep

He loves Jeep!
We use a Trasharoo.
TRASHAROOBLK-2_zpsixmx85so.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
^I use a Trasharoo as well.

I can just see those shackles ripping right through that netting. I hope you're not leaving them there when you go off road.

I actually just switched to an Alice pack and have to say, I'm liking it more that my old back. I carry a larger assortment of ropes and straps due to the variety of terrains I can find myself on and such so having a larger bag is good. I do need to pick up a shelf for it, but other than that, its perfect. I can also hang it on my tire rack for easy access when I'm out. Looks a lot like the roo you guys have posted, but its Made in the USA. lol. I'm thinking of getting another one just for trash when I go camping after this deployment is over.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
^Yeah, they are in the similar inside net pockets. That whole setup was a gift from Wifey and I took a picture before putting everything away. Good eye.

Sherman134

Observer
I keep my lighter duty gear (<5000 pounds) lives in the back of my seat covers. I keep a 30ft 5000 pound strap behind the drivers seat and 50ft of cotton rope behind the passenger seat. (the cotton rope is more for fastening down loads). They're cabellas trailgear seat covers, mine cost me $43.98 for two seat covers plus shipping. They work really well and are water resistant! They also have various other pockets for storing smaller items ie. shackles flashlights etc. My heavier duty recovery gear (25000 pound tow strap) is kept in a separate bag which contains a pair of gloves, one shackle, a trailer hitch pin and 30ft of recovery strap.

IMG_2256.jpg
Seat cover storage

IMG_2257.jpg
Recovery bag

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Forgot to add pics to my last post.
Here it is: 30 ft ARB recovery strap, 25 ft X 3/4 inch nylon rope, 30L lbs. tow trap, 4 shackles (interior pocket), gloves, 6 ft tree saver, 5 ft chain, snatch block, winch controller and leather gloves. There's still plenty of room inside too if I need it. I did decide to add a couple of riffle slings/straps to help carry the weight better and reinforce the bottom, but otherwise, it works great. And yes, there's a small machete strapped on the side, more for aesthetics than anything else. lol

Attachments

• WP_20150402_14_36_24_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150402_14_36_24_Pro.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 42
  • WP_20150402_14_37_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150402_14_37_07_Pro.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 41

JCTex

Observer
Thanks for great pix and ideas. Since originally posting, I re-bagged. I decided I needed a really portable carrier to get up or down to the anchor or problem point. I didn't want to have to go back to the Jeep for stuff except the winch rope. I found a small day pack with straps to throw it on my back. It has 1 block pulley, an 8' tree strap, 4 3/4" shackles, big blood bandages and tape, minor cut first aid for me and helpers, 10' x 1 1/2" strap w ratchet, pieces of 7-9 mm rope (not much), and a FMRS hand held. Attached to the bag is a 30" piece of closed cell sleeping pad, pair of knee pads, a climbers helmet, industrial eye glasses, an orange-yellow reflective vest, a work-scene LED light (small but adequate to get started), and my red-black-yellow oil field rigger's gloves. My plan is to stow this in the opening between and behind the front seats so I can grab it as I get out, OR, to reach and hand out parts if I'M the casualty or need to stay in on the brakes. I hope to replace the little, black day pack with one that's orange or yellow, is slightly bigger, and is made of lighter rip stop nylon. I'm looking.

The other bag that stays with the Jeep until/ if it's needed has 2 more 3/4" shackles, a 2nd block pully, 2-6' x3" tree straps, and extra gloves and FMRS radio. Currently, my 30' x 7/8" kinetic snatch rope lives in a third bag with a 30' x 3" tow strap and 10' link chain. I liked the above idea so jumper cable bags that I'm going to find some for,these big things. BTW, I would not have bought the 30' strap when I had the snatch rope until I saw those Jeeps near Arlington pulling that 18W'er up an icy hill. I asked several experienced Jeepers wht THEY would have put in front or behind their Jeep in that parade. Each said a strap. Neither liked the snatch rope because it gives little control in a multi- vehicle pull. Some said they would use a chain but would prefer a non-metallic strap. The 6' pair of straps and the 30' also give me options to use other anchor points if I need to put both pully blocks on my winch line.

Whatever the kit ends up looking like, I want to be able to get to it regardless of whether 1 or 4 door openings are inaccessible. As mentioned above, placement for the HiLoft 48" is a problem. I, too, want to put it behind the spare crossways on the bumper; but time will tell as my build continues. I should be able to see my 37's and OR bumpers on Tiesday. Hopefully, the jack will find a home then. My locations problem is doubled because I also have a Pull Pal and "plow blade".

I really appreciate your help.

Jerry

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I carry my recovery gear and some tools in a large ammo can. Usually it's in the cargo area in the back, but if I've got the rear seat in and other gear taking up space inside I'll carry the ammo can on a rack on the back. When I'm not on the trail the ammo can is in the garage.

LongCanyon1_zpsfx1ru8x9.jpg

onebuilder

Observer
^^Jeff, Can you provide more details on your spare tire rack? I'm looking for something like that for my JK. Thanks, Steve

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
^^Jeff, Can you provide more details on your spare tire rack? I'm looking for something like that for my JK. Thanks, Steve

Steve,
It's a pre-production unit I've been testing for the company that's making it, and should be on the market any week now. It attaches quickly to the spare, and folds up when not in use for cargo.

ExcursionRackTest1_zpsfufpmvka.jpg

It works great for recovery gear and I also use it for a large cooler, which sometimes is easier carried out there then in the cramped Jeep.

BullCanyon2_zps6x8rjecm.jpg

onebuilder

Observer
Jeff, thanks for the pics, I like it! We have a trip to the Alpine Loop in July and need a little extra room inside my 2dr Rubicon. Not really wanting a cargo basket that sits on top of the spare as it would be to high with my lift. A hitch mount carrier would be to large and sit to low. This looks to be perfect and being able to fold it up, is an added bonus! Where can I find more info?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff, thanks for the pics, I like it! We have a trip to the Alpine Loop in July and need a little extra room inside my 2dr Rubicon. Not really wanting a cargo basket that sits on top of the spare as it would be to high with my lift. A hitch mount carrier would be to large and sit to low. This looks to be perfect and being able to fold it up, is an added bonus! Where can I find more info?

The company that's manufacturing them is named MORryde (http://www.morryde.com/product-category/9-jeep-accessories). I don't think this rack is on their site yet, but it should be very shortly. I'm told one of the big catalog companies has signed up to carry it, and I think the company may also be selling them direct - best thing to do is contact Ryan Wertz ( ryan(dot)wertz(at)morryde.com, he'll be able to tell you where, when and how much, they're calling it the "Excursion Rack" btw.

onebuilder

Observer
The company that's manufacturing them is named MORryde (http://www.morryde.com/product-category/9-jeep-accessories). I don't think this rack is on their site yet, but it should be very shortly. I'm told one of the big catalog companies has signed up to carry it, and I think the company may also be selling them direct - best thing to do is contact Ryan Wertz ( ryan(dot)wertz(at)morryde.com, he'll be able to tell you where, when and how much, they're calling it the "Excursion Rack" btw.

Thanks for the info! I have made contact with Ryan.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I carry my recovery gear and some tools in a large ammo can. Usually it's in the cargo area in the back, but if I've got the rear seat in and other gear taking up space inside I'll carry the ammo can on a rack on the back. When I'm not on the trail the ammo can is in the garage.

LongCanyon1_zpsfx1ru8x9.jpg

Until recently I was using the same method, an ammo can just like that strapped to my cargo area utility rail, until I discovered an issue with this setup in my situation. (Which is why I'm browsing this discussion...)

Your area of the world looks quite dry from the image so I doubt you will have this issue, but mine is anything but. I found I had severe condensation problems inside my ammo can, which is not good as it not only smells bad but can rust my metal gear. Even moderate moisture from my snatch strap was enough to coat the inside of my can with dewy drips of water on the can walls and on my metal equipment. (I also had a 12V compressor, bottle jack, tire tools, and a cordless impact in there.)

I might try it again in the summer when it's hot enough to balance it out, or if I know my gear is absolutely dry, but in wet parts of the world with daily temperature swings, I don't recommend an airtight compartment for recovery gear. If used at all the fabric straps (I used mine to recover a vehicle on a wet snowy day) will collect moisture and deposit it inside, apparently even if it feels dry. (I let my strap dry in the sun and still had moisture in the can just from it's storage while wet.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1