Renegade concept at Detroit Auto Show

O'DubhGhaill

Think you hit the nail on the head. I think their intent is to steal the Subie customer.

FWIW, my wife LOVES it and is trying to convince me it would be a great weekend camper car (I think it's likely a little small for our family). She has used the word "cute" several times.

This. I like its boxy tight looks - far better than the Cherokar by miles. I can see myself helping my son or daughter buy one for a college graduation present if they were of age and if I could afford to. But, hell, due to finances my wife and I drive 2014 Patriots (FDI for her, FDII for me) and not Wrangler Unlimiteds so consider the source.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Try and get past the lame graphics. I think it has a lot of potential similar to a Subaru Crosstrek.

That picture does make it look better. I am still not a fan of the small windows though. That, and the trunk looks to be uber tiny.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
So when does the Renegade actually go on sale this year? Weren't they supposed to be out by now or are they out and I didn't know about it? I think they look pretty cool.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Not being released until spring. I am anxiously waiting to get my *** in a trailhawk to test drive for my wifes new rig.

SamM

Adventurer
The YouTube video says "Killer Articulation". It was lifting a wheel every time the ground was uneven. My daughter would probably love it, but this thing makes me never want to buy another Jeep.

SamM

moabian

Chrysler had a Trailhawk at their Jeep Safari display last April. It was bigger and taller than I expected it to be. The interior is pretty roomy. I've also seen 4 or 5 Renegades cruising around Moab, all with Michigan plates. I don't think they look bad at all.

Rene01.jpg
Rene02b.jpg
Rene04b.jpg

camodog

Adventurer
This is the perfect Colorado weekender rig. It was never supposed to be a wrangler killer. It is geared towards the outback, XV, and element crowd. It will sell like crazy here.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hope it does awesome, and they offer it in a hybrid.
Anything Jeep can do to raise CAFE standards within the brand without negatively impacting the Wrangler, is good by me. :)

AZJim

Observer
Lots of headroom inside, good visibility, very surprising once you get inside one. Full size spare in the floor, and the cargo area is not bad, in some ways seems roomier than the KL Cherokee.

Jim

kayadog

Adventurer
It needs more aggressive tires on the Trailhawk. The Firestone AT's, while not my favorite all terrain tire, were a much better choice for the KL Trailhawk.

Justincredible

Adventurer
It's obviously not intended to be a rock crawler, but it looks like a great little runabout that can probably get you more places than your average crossover.
I don't understand the hate.

Oh, someone from the Utah Jeep crew spotted this back on January 8.
10360361_636849616425891_731706491784665148_n.jpg

AZJim

Observer
Great picture. Some of the hatred comes from people who are not comfortable with change, especially in what they perceive to be the status quo. I was derided when I bought my XJ because 'Jeepers' thought it wasn't a 'real' Jeep, same thing when I bought my WJ. Now they're looked upon as real Jeeps. Go figure.

Jim

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I am somewhat excited about the Jeep Renegade - if it does actually have the 20:1 lowest gear ratio with a manual transmission - seems like that would be pretty good for such a small vehicle and is not matched by the other similar options from Subaru or Suzuki SX4. and I bet the Trailhawk version has much better approach, breakover and departure angles as well.

Now we just need to convince Ursa Minor to make a pop top camper top like they did for the Honda Element and Jeep JKU... With the removable top panels it would be accessible from inside too just like the others - but it would probably only fit midgets up there.

The 1.4 liter engine has a higher torque value than the 2.4 liter version - of course, it all depends on at what RPM is that torque available - i.e. the shape of the curves.

Sandstone

I think the 20:1 gearing is only for the Trailhawk which comes only with the 9 speed auto. Even so the 1.4l should be fun and fairly capable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1