Request: pics/info of your 2009-2014 F150 Supercrew builds

KWJohnston

Speaking of regular cabs.... I think a regular cab 6.5ft bed is a great looking truck! The 09-14 Regular cabs look better than the generation before or after IMHO. The 04-08 has that weird short door with the access door behind. The 15+ looks sort of chopped off at the back of the cab, kind of like the platform was designed around a crew cab and the regular cab was an afterthought.

For my purposes with the gear I will carry and for normal daily life, a supercab or supercrew is just more useful.

My father always loved an 8' bed. Called the 6.5 a "short box".

D

Deleted member 9101

This claim has me incredulous.

V6 vs V8. The 3.5 has two less pistons and rods, fewer crank journals and bearings, eight less valves, fewer cam journals and bearings, and two less coils. In exchange for fewer parts, you pick up two small turbos.

Marine

Adventurer
My question now is, does anyone make a bumper that you can put a winch in. . The inter cooler not getting air is what bothers me.

D

Deleted member 9101

My question now is, does anyone make a bumper that you can put a winch in. . The inter cooler not getting air is what bothers me.

Just run a Freak O Boost intercooler:
CAC5-2.jpg

It's freaking huge and mounts above a winch.

Grassland

KWJohnston you can check out my build-ish thread, it's kind of rambly though.
"The full size mid size"

A lot of things I went budget minded, but not "cheap" if you know what I mean?
Like, the Bilstein cost more than spacers, but perform better, and are way cheaper than an Icon or King strut or shock.

I'm a huge fan boy of the cyclone engines (naturally aspirated 3.7, 3.5, 3.3) and they were designed with boost and direct injection in mind (where the EcoBoost came from)
In the steel body trucks like mine a crew cab adds a fair bit of weight, and all the overland mods add more, especially the big tires.
Very reliable engines though, they perform like the 4.6 3V. Higher revving.
Mustang guys are doing all sorts of insanity with them and they hold up to the abuse.
A 5.0 or 3.5 EcoBoost will absolutely mop the floor with a 3.7 to the point the 3.7 looks like a 90 year old man on a wheelchair against a Tour De France racer.
But if you aren't towing 4000+ lbs on the regular or have a need for speed, the 3.7 in my SCAB will outperform a Tacoma or other NA gas mid size trucks.

D

Deleted member 9101

The price of them holy hell
"Cheap ain't cool and cool ain't cheap"

Unlike most "Expo" accessories, an aftermarket intercooler is useful every time you drive the truck.

I have the Mishimoto intercooler on mine and it dropped the inlet temps as well as it doesn't get "heat soak" when I decide to use the happy peddle for long periods of time.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm a huge fan boy of the cyclone engines (naturally aspirated 3.7, 3.5, 3.3) and they were designed with boost and direct injection in mind (where the EcoBoost came from)
In the steel body trucks like mine a crew cab adds a fair bit of weight, and all the overland mods add more, especially the big tires.
Very reliable engines though, they perform like the 4.6 3V. Higher revving.

A guy that I use to work with has the 3.3 in a Super Crew 2wd and says it does a better job pulling his bass boat than his gas hog 5.4 did.

KWJohnston

Grassland, in your opinion how does the 3.7 do in off road conditions. What I mean is that at lower RPM, moving through uneven terrain, do you have adequate torque? Do you have to give it more RPMs to get through hills and rough spots ?

Also, has the 3.7 ever felt lacking at highway speed?

Grassland

Grassland, in your opinion how does the 3.7 do in off road conditions. What I mean is that at lower RPM, moving through uneven terrain, do you have adequate torque? Do you have to give it more RPMs to get through hills and rough spots ?

I haven't been in a crawling situation yet. Deep snow it hasn't been a problem, most trails I run are 4HI stuff.
The engine is lacking in low end torque. Canned tune helps with that somewhat.
It's very flat where I live, so highways around here, hasn't been an issue, I pull my 2500# camper at 120kph and forget it's there, and that's with 3" larger than stock tires (stock was P235/75R17, currently have BFG LT34x10.5R17 load D), and 800# in/on the bed. The effective gear ratio I have now is somewhere around 3.45, and I can tell the difference from when I was running LT235/80R17 load E tires. Lower RPM at highway speeds, but less pick up/off the line.

I did feel lacking for power on highway 3 East in BC which is a significant climb (Kootenay pass), that was with 800# in the truck and towing the 2500# camper. Truck was about maxed out in that situation. I doubt I could manage more than 100kph.

If you want to run LT285/75R17 or larger tires without a re gear, or tow in the mountains, you won't likely be a fan of the 3.7.

phsycle

Adventurer

Probably more subject there. I doubt you'll be blasting by people, but it can't be worse than people with overloaded Tacoma's and JL's. Off-road, if you're in 4Lo, personally, I am fine with a 4-cyl.
I also travel light. I don't have a RTT, "Overland (gag)" racks, "Tactical" gear, etc. Ground tent, water jugs, and some 20 to 40 gallon plastic totes and I'm ready to go. So I'd have absolutely no issues with a 3.7/3.5/3.3, even living in the rockies.

Never owned a N/A V6 F150, though, so I'll defer to people like @Grassland.

Marine

Adventurer
"Cheap ain't cool and cool ain't cheap"

Unlike most "Expo" accessories, an aftermarket intercooler is useful every time you drive the truck.

I have the Mishimoto intercooler on mine and it dropped the inlet temps as well as it doesn't get "heat soak" when I decide to use the happy peddle for long periods of time.
I need a winch, used the last one I had often. I'm still leaning towards the eco boost. I get you on being useful. I'm not one for bolting on a bunch of useless garbage. My idea of a trasharoo is a black garbage bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1