Returning to stock height

hansonian

Observer
Right now my '04 LJ has a 4" lift and 33" tires, for me this isn't a issue. With the missus being vertically challenged (i.e. short) and 5 months pregnant she can no longer get up into the Jeep without assistance. As the realization of having a family becomes more obvious everyday I think it's best to return to factory height for the immediate future. To be honest I can foresee it being a PITA to put a baby in a rear facing car seat with the lift so to keep the whole family happy and sane it's coming back down.

I'm trying to come up with a comprehensive list of all the parts I need to grab to get it back to stock height. I know I'm going to have to ditch the shocks, springs, sway bar disconnects, drop pitman arm, tires and spring bump stops. Is there anything else I'm missing? My plan is to just get this done as soon as I can and try and sell of the used parts to offset the cost of this. Is there a difference in stock springs for a 4.0 Sport or a 4.0 LJ? I'd like to fit 31x10.5" tires when it's all said and done.

Anyone have any good ideas on where to source parts for this besides the usual; craigslist, ebay, davey's jeeps, local forums, etc...?

If I've missed something please let me know.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I think I would find someone local who wants a 4" lift, pull both jeeps inside and swap parts. You could probably make some money in the process that way too.

TD64

Adventurer
Have you considered putting on some step style sliders? I put on the Jeeperman frame mounted Skidz and it makes it so much easier to get into the Jeep. I'm running 33" tires with a 2.5" OME suspension lift and 1" body lift. Stepping onto the sliders is right at 23".

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Why not just buy an additional car that is easier to load/unload and even safer than the Jeep would be? My wife wants an Outback Sport, safe and great on gas.

BlackClassic

If Not Now When?
I agree with Black ZJ, that would probably be best or go TD64 idea. Seems like a lot of work to take the lift out then someday your gonna want it lifted again and have to do it all over again. Sounds like a lot more work than you need.

tatuedrednek

Wanderer
BlackClassic has hit the nail on the head(IMHO)! I bought a set of step sliders froma guy in Texas that builds them and sells them on Ebay. Reasonably priced and pretty well built! My girlfriend is also lacking in the height department and the sliders not only help her get in and out but also give the ole xj some much needed protection!

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
I ran 33s (255/85-16) for 80k miles without a suspension lift. Stock LJ Rubicon suspension, and a 1.25" BL. The stock Rubicon springs are ~1" taller than non-rubicon LJ springs, and the flares are ~1" wider than non-Rubicon flares. Both of these make it easier to fit the 255s to a stock LJ Rubicon. You could probably find a set of take off Rubicon springs over at rubiconownersforum.com or your local Jeep shop. Flares too.

However, I also think this may be an exercise in futility in making your LJ "baby compatible". It isn't, and won't be, without your willingness to work much harder to get the kids seat in andout of the back, no matter the lift height. BTDT, and wouldn't recommend it. The JK unlimited is a hot seller for many good reasons, and kids access is one of them.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
As others have said the 2 door Jeep just will never be a kid friendly vehicle. Even at stock height I could see it being a challenge for a short, prego lady to get in. Sounds like no matter what, you will be adding some sort of step to it.

But I guess if I had to build a short jeep, no lift, 1" BL, 32's (maybe 33's with trim?), belly up with engine skid, really good rock sliders with protect bottom and side of the rockers (step) and locked front/rear. Our LJ's are long and still will get hung up a lot but you got to pick 1 over the other I guess.

As far as parts check for things like longer brake lines and if you have a new driveshaft then you will probably need to go back to stock. Seems like you have everything else pretty well covered.

hansonian

Observer
I know the Jeep will never be the most family friendly vehicle but at the moment it will have to do. We have a Mini Cooper Clubman for daily driving and for future shuttling of the new kid around. My main goal with bringing the height of the Jeep down is to make it easier for the missus to get in and for me to get a baby in the back.

At the moment we're not doing any serious off-roading with it anyway so it's not like it will effect that. The most it will see is some logging and fire roads during camping and hunting season. I did look at the new Unlimited Jeep and while they're nice they don't fit in the budget for a new family saving for a house. I don't mind it being slightly inconvenient getting people in the Jeep as long as it's doable.

I will look at the Jeeperman Unlimited Skidz. I already have rocker guards on it with a welded tube "step" which I think would work good for the missus if the over all height was a couple inches lower.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I knew I'd get some good thoughts on the matter from you guys.

briboki

If you're saving for stuff (house, etc) there's no need to get a 4 door JK.

My kid is one year old, and it's much easier to get him in and out compared to when he was a newborn. One of the reasons I went with a low lift was to make it kid/wife friendly. In a few years I'll bump it up. What kind of springs/shocks do you have? I know a lot of shocks have a "range" for the amount of lift they can be used with. What kind of control arms? Adjustable? It could be as simple as new springs to make it a bit lower. I vote make it lower. Sell the lift components you don't want on craigslist or a local forum. Or like someone mentioned above, trade what you have for someone else's stock setup.

How often do you need to put the kid in the Jeep while the the kid is tiny? I've only loaded my kid up in the Jeep MAYBE 12 times in the past year.

We take my wife's sedan everywhere because it's more comfortable for HER, and the gas mileage is double what my XJ gets. Your situation may dictate something different...

dumprat

Adventurer
Probably better off getting a cherokee for hauling baby rather than dropping the Lj. Putting a rear facing seat in a two door of any type is very hard on the back. Especially if your wife is short. The JKU is going to cost you more than it is worth for what you need. Keep your LJ the way you want it, they are sort of rare and way shorter than the JK. Let your Lj rest for a year or two. Mine is runing a 4" lift and 35" tires. My son is 7 and daughter 4 and they love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1