rooftop lighting for camping, etc.

irish44j

My rig is more often than not used for towing my rally car and camping out at paddocks (often totally dark) and other non-campground areas that have lousy lighting. In addition, we often need lighting not only for hanging out, cooking, etc but also for fixing the car between race days.

At the moment my rack has the usual LED trail lighting (front bar + side and rear lights) but I've found that they're way too bright for doing stuff around the truck when parked, they just blind everyone lol. we have various worklights and handheld stuff, but thinking about mounting up some flood-type lights that are bright enough to provide light, but diffused or dim enough that they don't blind everyone or attract every insect within 20 miles.

So, any suggestions - preferably something on the cheap/affordable side? Would be hardwired to 12v and switched internally. My lights now are actually mostly integrated into the rack itself (which I built) but don't necessarily need flush-mount stuff, would be fine with something I can just bolt on to brackets or whatever. Also prefer they be totally weatherproof so they can just stay up on the rack - so no huge jobsite lights or anything like that.

Anyhow, open to ideas!

Photo because all threads need a photo....also the typical situation in question

1670642544390.png

Reactions: WVI

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I integrated "side-lights" into our flatbed, that cast light back and down to illuminate the entry and side box area.
They are nothing more than cheap amazon LED lamps.

The lights are triggered by an overhead console switch.
Really cool part is that the console is triggered by opening the doors, pressing any button on the truck fob, and is time delayed for turning off.
So the lights are typically "on" when camped. The delay allows us to get into the camper with light, and auto offs a 10 minutes later.
Once in the camper we can easily kick them back on if needed by pressing lock on the trucks fob.

45648977715_12c865269a_b.jpg

52457401418_92048d72e7_h.jpg

Alloy

I have 7 of these floods that are 4yo

1670721303766.png

High mounted LED are obnoxious so if I don't need them I switch to LED modules along the side that are facing down
1670721219328.png

Tried posting links but they didn't show up.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I picked up single fish-eye LEDs off Amazon years ago. I think they are 3/8” round and mount in a 1/2” or so hole. I made little brackets to mount on the sides of my roof rack. 3 lights per side is about perfect to cast light just bright enough for cooking 6’ from the sides of the Jeep but not much further. I think Amazon listed them as marker lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp