RTT in high winds compared to Hard Side RV??

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
One good option would be a pop up hardside such as the FWC models, they only stick about a foot above the cab when down and expand upward giving you plenty of space.

One good option would be a pop up hardside such as the FWC models, they only stick about a foot above the cab when down and expand upward giving you plenty of space.

I actually have a cab over camper right now.
My plan is to go away from it.
I spent a lot of time looking at four wheel campers, but my issue is that I almost always need a LOT of cargo space. And I need the bed.

Here are the basic requirements:
All the stuff an overlander/RVer would want: Chairs, Hot water shower, Awning, inverter, full set of tools(like 300lbs of tools), Lights, Kitchen, BBQ, Stove, Fridge, RV deep cycle batteries, Air compressor, Solar, tow straps, shovels, high lift jack, etc, etc, etc. I already have all that stuff, and about 1/2 is already integrated into the truck.

Rig is a 2007 Dodge Cummins Mega Cab dually.
I built an 8 foot "utility" bed with 8' long x 15" x 18" storage boxes on the sides where the doors fold down to counter tops with Bamboo hard wood flooring for the counter surface. Then hung ProTech aluminum tool boxes under that.

The design is such that i am still able to load a cab over camper onto the bed. (It is still a full 5' wide at the tail gate between the boxes), the whole bed is 98" wide.

All that stuff mentioned above goes in the tool boxes.
I plan to also build a roof rack for the RTT, and solar, lights and awning.

With all that said, this leaves the entire bed available for cargo.
Unlike quite a few overlanders, I almost ALWAYS have another agenda on my trips. Either dirt bikes, Mountain bikes, or chasing desert racers.(most of the time).
This leaves the bed available for all that other stuff that varies from trip to trip, and the runs to home depot.

Edit:
Build thread is here:
http://sierrarockcrawlers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22

Last edited:

Dragos28

Adventurer
Was out in Death Valley this last weekend, Saturday night had some pretty high winds.
our Gran Sabana was pretty noisy from the rain fly... but other than that it was rock solid... not much you can do other than take off the rain fly.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
The best example I have is back in 2013. I was camping with my friends at Mosport for the American LeMans weekend. The track staff was going around warning people that were was a storm coming. We brought the kitchen down to as low as we could go and covered it in warps; same with my change room. As for the tent, I just folded down the side flaps except the one on the ladder side. My friends were in tents on the ground. I ran a 12v extension to the tent and we watched a movie and we kept ourselves busy. We honestly barely felt a thing. Two my of friends had their tents break. I was watching as my one buddy's tent was folding and colapsing down on him and blowing back up like a balloon. Many people, and my friends, had their portable shelters break. I may not be able to share (FB) my friend's video, but I can take a screenshot to give you an idea of the aftermath.

tent.jpg

Dusty Grin

Observer
I just noticed this thread. I have both a Four Wheel Camper and a Maggiolina hard shell rooftop
tent. I'm off from work for much of the winter so I regularly camp in some pretty nasty conditions in the Pacific Northwest.

I can tell you that I feel much more secure in the rtt in very strong winds. All I hear is the jingling of zippers and the subtle movement of the material in only the strongest gusts. I sleep like a baby and it's warm inside without the heater because it's smaller.

I really like my four wheel camper and the feeling of just hanging out inside when it's raining but trying to sleep in heavy winds is difficult. It's because when it's cranked up it's like a big sail. I have it on a full-size Cummins truck and there has been several occasions I thought I had to crank it down because I was going to tip over. Very worrying and hard to sleep when the truck is rocking so much. It also gets very cold in there in the winter and requires a heater.

Hope that helps if you're still trying to decide anyway.

I wrap my Tepui in the Weatherhood if it's going to be windy.

The noise of the wind and zippers jingling is still there, but overall the weatherhood seems to create a pretty good slipstream effect - no loose fly flapping around (and potentially ripping). I'm happy with it in the wind - just need to remember ear plugs for next time!

djsixbillion

Adventurer
I'll second the need for ear plugs! Have used a few different setups - Autohome Overzone, Eezi-Awn, Maggiolina and Autohome Columbus. The hard-shell tents were definitely quieter and more comfortable in heavy winds.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I have slept in my RTT (hardshell James Baroud) in two significant wind storms. Once in Moab UT the winds were easily 35 MPH all night. The tent survived well with the exception of the zippers clanging so i wrapped them with duct tape. Second time was at the beach, a storm came up one evening and the wind blew pretty hard; i would guess probably 30-40 MPH and the tent did great. This time the duct tape zippers were a lot quieter.

The kind of winds i am most worried about is where chairs and ground tents are tumbling across the desert.

This year at KOH I rented a 28' trailer. Not very tall either, just a 6'6" interior height. it was sitting on all 4 tires and the tongue jack, as well as the 4 stabilization jacks.

Winds were shaking the trailer so bad that it felt like bad turbulence in an air plane.
We were joking that if it flipped over, the first thing to do would be to grab the bottle of Jack Daniels.
(we kind of were not joking, it really was that ridiculous).

Of course we all survived, (but I did have to dodge some large debris flying around outside).

I am primarily worried what a RTT would do in that situation.

There was actually a Tepui booth setup in the vendor area during that windstorm. I meant to go talk to the sales guys, but never found the time between all the racing related activities.

I am guessing the windspeed had to be gusting past 50mph.

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
The kind of winds i am most worried about is where chairs and ground tents are tumbling across the desert.

I've had my CVT Mt. Cayley in some NASTY wind. Gusts well over 50mph, and sustained winds for HOURS at a time. Once, literally, all night. Twice it has kept me up all night, but never has it damaged my tent. I had the wind pull my guylines up once when they were on 2' rebar stakes driven about 16" into the ground. I actually just parked my tires on top of the lines after that. Not an ideal angle, but I was desperate. On my way back down the trail the next day multiple 9"+ diameter trees had fallen across the trail. It was BLOWING the night before.

As far as driving with the tent on... We had a head wind while traveling south on HWY 97 through the Yakima Indian Reservation that ripped open both velcro straps and sent the metal rings damn near through my side windows. It was LOUD. When I got out to fasten everything back down there was some SERIOUS stress being put on the zipper which holds the tent closed. In fact, when I stood on the rear tire to fasten the strap I was having a very hard time staying up there whenever the wind hit me. I am a 6' 1" 200lb guy... Not exactly used to being bullied by the wind.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I should probably have added this in my post above....

So when i was camping at the beach when the storm came up, i had an ezi-awn erected on the beach next to my truck. It was FULLY staked out with every possible stake and tie down used. The wind was so strong when i woke up the next morning the ezi-awn was about 300 yards down the beach in one giant ball of fabric and bent polls. It was destroyed. The fact that i slept through that in a RTT says a lot.

millerfish

Adventurer
I have had my Tupi XL Ruggedized in several heavy winds in the Mojave and southern Utah. The first time I thought it was going to be ripped from the trailer but it allways survives. It is loud and does not keep all the dust out. The rain fly and the wimpy arms that hold it out Do no do well in the wind. Removing the rain fly would probably be better but then I am sure it would rain...

dcg141

Adventurer
I would think an annex would actually help during wind by keeping wind from getting underneath the most exposed part of the RTT. I use a popup awning alot and nothing is more susceptible to wind damage as those. Even 15-20 mph gusts will fly one across a campground. But mine has walls you can install and its way more wind resistent when those are on.

spikemd

Explorer
Was in some rough winds in Baja last week, typical on the Sea of Cortez side. First night, wind noise and flapping kept me up even with some ear plugs. Second night, removed the rain fly and it was much quieter. Cut the wind noise down to almost nothing, just a bit of flapping. The fly is kind of a pain to put back on due to the integrated poles, but it was well worth removing for a good night sleep, assuming no rain.

Lukenp

Hi,
I also spend a lot most of my camping time out riding dirt bikes. And would like to keep the bed of the truck open for that. So a couple of questions for the OP.
1. Did you end up buying a RTT? if so which one?
2. How do they do in the heat? I'm assuming they have plenty of ventilation.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh