Sam's 84 Expo Build

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
What winch is that. I rather have a slow winch than no which at all. Looks good

Its just some winch I saw on autoparts warehouse. They had a discount code for $150 shipped to my door. Figured for 150 shipped on a 10k winch with fairlead, it was a steal. I opened up the solenoid box and appears to be easy to replace with a diff brand later on down the road if the need arises. The ineternals seem to be pretty decent. Also since the solenoid box had a circular blank spot, I decided to print me out a toyota devil horns decal to fill the void. I think it turned out to be a nice lil touch.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
So after a bit of thinking, Ive decided to build my 4runner into a prerunner type of vehicle. Main reasons are because it has the 3.0 and I am thinking about eventually dropping a 3.4 in it. Its also IFS and I always have wanted a long travel IFS truck aswell as a solid axle rig. Seeing as my pickup is a Solid axle there isnt much point in building 2 solid axle rigs. Went over to a friend's house on Sunday and picked up some Factory IFS arms that he had cut off of his 4runner to do a SAS. Reason for this is because I want to do the blazeland long travel kit. Going to be taking apart the arms and extending them. The bodylift will also be taken off soon. Stay tune for updates. Probably wont be many for a while though since the garage is currently being renovated. Oh and I found some time to make some new bedside decals for my pickup that I liked better.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I have a blazeland kit on my runner. Love it. He sells the arms complete. You don't need those take offs unless you wanna send them in for a core.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
I have a blazeland kit on my runner. Love it. He sells the arms complete. You don't need those take offs unless you wanna send them in for a core.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thats good to hear. The main reason I got the extra arms is because I plan on getting the DIY weld together kit. I rather weld the kit myself and save a few bucks. I wanted the extra arms so that I could weld them without having to have my truck broken down for a bit. I also wanted the hubs for my pickup so I could extend the width and gain IFS calipers.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Welp more updates YAY. Ordered a brand new soft top for my 4runner from soft topper. It should be here on Monday. Next, Ive been getting my garage renovated, and found my pickup needs a new clutch. So in goes the old girl for a transmission tear out and clutch replacement.

Here is what the shop used to look like,

Now this is what it looks like,

Pulled the trans out today. Clutch wasnt quite as bad as I had thought, but still pretty damn bad. Also found out the throwout bearing is BAD. I had a slight chattering noise from the trans, and I am relieve to find that it was just the bearing going out. Not to worry the Aisin kit I bought came with the bearing.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Cool build on the trucks. Where did you wheel in boone during the snows back in February?

Actually was in Blowing Rock. Right near the blue Ridge Parkway. Place is called area51, a bit of a local trail. It is a LEGAL trail. We also wheel Hurricane creek sometimes. Shoot me a message if ya wanna meet up sometime, I can show ya where they are at. Not much fun though unless theres snow on the ground. During the summer its just a dirt road for the most part.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Not really related to my 84 yota build but figured Id share anyways. Got my new soft top installed on the 4runner!

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Took the ol pickup for a lil shakedown run at URE yesterday along with 2 other yotas. Stock 4runner and a SAS Tacoma that I helped build and do the swap on. Had the pull the white Jeep int he last pick a few times with the winch :D

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Welp I am changing paces with my projects again. Decided a few weeks ago that the 4runner will now be my all around expo rig and the pickup is just gonna sit for a bit as is and wheeled occasionally. The comforts of the larger cab storage space plus v6 engine in the end won the debate for me. I've been getting into more mountain biking and kayaking/hiking related activities as of lately and decided to build the 4runner to fit the bill better. Since buying the soft top for the 4runner Ive been scratching my head for storage options outside of the cab. I finally came up with something last weekend and started building it. I did a kayak/mountain bike rack with a small basket to accommodate a cooler and some offroad lights in the front. I gave room to allow the sides to still be rolled up and the convertible function still works on the softopper, albeit you have to remove the top fold it and then reinstall it. This is what I finally came up with. Also mounted a pro-comp light bar in the front primarily for looks and to add 2 HID 6in lights onto. I havent decided if I am going to make a new build thread or just continue onto this one. I will defiantly be build the 4runner now though. Future plans are a few more lights, maybe an awning, more interior doohickies, and a dual battery setup. As always any comments are welcomed.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Long time since Ive posted anything here. but I started on a rear bumper build for my pickup truck.

Also ended up building my buddy some sliders for his 4runner.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Just finished bending some more tubing and mocking up a front bumper. Still need to add a few more supports and finish weld it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1