Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3

Old Soul

Anybody running the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3 for mapping? Has GPS built in. I’ve been using a Tab A7 and my iPad Pro. I’ve determined that the 8” tablet works better for me. Thinking about the Samsung over an iPad mini.

JackW

Explorer
I've been using a Tab Active 2 running Gaia for a couple of years with very good success. I found that the onboard antenna for the GPS was a little weak when it was inside the truck so I added a Garmin GLO 2 Bluetooth GPS antenna and it works much better.

I made a little shelf that attaches to the top of the dash on my Defender 90 right at the base of the windshield so that it gets a good look at the sky. On the new 110 I just put the receiver out at the base of the windshield.
A friend of mine uses a 10" Samsung tablet and likes it because our older eyes can see it better - sometimes I think he might have had the better idea.

RAM makes a variety of mounts for tablets: https://rammount.com/collections/samsung-galaxy-tablet-mounts
My Defender 90 has RAM mount balls all over the interior for a variety of stuff like phone mounts, camera mounts and other stuff - I use a C size ball to mount the tablet.

Reactions: WVI

HouseVVares

I've been running the Active Tab 8" for a couple years with Gaia as the main software. I've been really happy with it. I have not noticed any issues with the GPS antenna reception but there are several generations of the tablets now... The one 'problem' I've had is the e-compass seems to loose calibration when the tablet sits in the mount for a while, so I need to do the funny wave it in a figure 8 thing every so often. I do really like that the tablet can handle extended temperatures and has the high bright screen. That is not always needed when it is just mounted in my truck but I also carry it when I backpack so it helps there.

The 8" or 10" thing is something I've been thinking about... I picked up an Active Tab 10" thinking the bigger screen would help my eyes as they age... and it would. Although I like how the smaller 8" fits on the space on my dash. I also like that the 8" drops right into a cargo pocket for when I take it hiking. I also like I can use the simple Ram X mount for the 8" but needed something larger for the 10". Last thought was the 10" setup is heavier and wiggles around noticeably more offroad although maybe that is just a function of how I mounted the tablets.

I have gone back to using the 8" for the reasons above but I think they are both good devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad