Severe weather or other safety alerts to your InReach, Zoleo, etc.

WanderingBison

Still works well, sent me alerts about tides when I was on the coast a few weekends back. And I dont think I got any duplicates. I may try and sent it with my brother in Morocco, Mongolia. ( for a moto trip) and see how it works there.

Hey Yetti,

Glad to hear it’s still working well - we have been watching closely the reliability of our alerts and your feedback really helps understand how you guys are using our alerts.

As exciting as a Mongolian moto trip sounds for “Adiona” (not to mention to those of us who always seek out adventure), unfortunately our alerts are currently limited to the U.S. and Canada.

We only offer our service to users when they are in the U.S. or Canada because the government infrastructure required is in place, they are jurisdictions we know well, and have a large enough market to allow for a sustainable business that can provide reliable and timely alerts.

In many other countries, such as New Zealand or Iceland, the infrastructure is in place where we would consider extending our service, while in many other developing-world countries, such as Mexico, the forecasting and warning infrastructure is not quite there yet.

We have some longer-term strategies to extend our service beyond Canada and the U.S. but that will have to wait a bit.

Thanks again for your feedback and support.

J.S.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Hey Yetti,

Glad to hear it’s still working well - we have been watching closely the reliability of our alerts and your feedback really helps understand how you guys are using our alerts.

As exciting as a Mongolian moto trip sounds for “Adiona” (not to mention to those of us who always seek out adventure), unfortunately our alerts are currently limited to the U.S. and Canada.

We only offer our service to users when they are in the U.S. or Canada because the government infrastructure required is in place, they are jurisdictions we know well, and have a large enough market to allow for a sustainable business that can provide reliable and timely alerts.

In many other countries, such as New Zealand or Iceland, the infrastructure is in place where we would consider extending our service, while in many other developing-world countries, such as Mexico, the forecasting and warning infrastructure is not quite there yet.

We have some longer-term strategies to extend our service beyond Canada and the U.S. but that will have to wait a bit.

Thanks again for your feedback and support.

J.S.

JS

No worries, that makes a lot of sense. And happy to help in any way I can.

Do you see a future path, in alerts with other Safety concerns? Or are you able to share/expound on that realm?

Like, riots, or borders shut down, anything that the Dept of state would send alerts for?

They can send texts/emails, but not sure if there is a way to integrate it into your system. And as you said, as of now* that its US and Canada. So probably not all that helpful specifically to those two countries.
Food for thought,

And thank you for being so on it, and willing to let us pick your brain about the system, and generally throw random ideas and thoughts your way.

WanderingBison

JS

No worries, that makes a lot of sense. And happy to help in any way I can.

Do you see a future path, in alerts with other Safety concerns? Or are you able to share/expound on that realm?

Like, riots, or borders shut down, anything that the Dept of state would send alerts for?

They can send texts/emails, but not sure if there is a way to integrate it into your system. And as you said, as of now* that its US and Canada. So probably not all that helpful specifically to those two countries.
Food for thought,

And thank you for being so on it, and willing to let us pick your brain about the system, and generally throw random ideas and thoughts your way.

Engaging with you and our users is critical to providing a service that meets or exceeds your needs and expectations. So, we are here to listen and exchange ideas.

We are also really interested in any suggestions about the information you’d like delivered to you using Adiona Alert.

I’m all ears!

Now, let me try to give you (and the rest of this community ) a glimpse behind the curtain of public alerting and where we are going.

As I mentioned, we are focused on the U.S. and Canada. In both countries, in addition to the weather alerts, we monitor a secure system that thousands of public safety, law enforcement and other agencies can use to deliver alerts to the public. The network exists to distribute alerts through media outlets, TV, radio, highway information signs, etc.

As a result, many agencies are already using this network to communicate alerts regarding law enforcement activity, drinking water advisories, electricity supply messages, etc.

This is also the network these agencies could use to communicate nuclear incident warnings, “civil disturbances,” etc.

The key here is COULD, and it would depend on decisions taken by the agency having jurisdiction to use this communication network. Some agencies throughout Canada and the U.S. already use the network, while others are still developing their understanding and use.

As our user base grows, we will be working to educate agencies who have traditionally not used these alerting networks because they understood that the network couldn’t deliver the alerts in remote areas since there are no cellular coverage or electronic road signs .

We are extending the reach of these alerts to remote areas, and therefore, they will now be able to use the same system used in “on-grid” areas to reach “off-grid” users.

That work will take some time, and our “leverage” will grow as our user base grows.

More broadly, this public alerting system type is based on international standards. Like most international standards, this is a voluntary framework developed and used mainly by countries in the developed world. And, as with most international standards, they are never quite as “standard” as they should or we’d like them to be.

The U.S. and Canada are some of the most aligned countries collaborating and using this international standard, and it has taken us well over two years to figure out all the unique implementation of this international standard .

We are working with several partners to deliver the alerts we provide today and other partners for the alerts we plan to introduce later this year and in the future.

The real challenge is to find reliable and trustworthy partners whom we can integrate using a secure network. Unfortunately, there are a lot of players who redistribute “open source” information, in some cases with limited vetting, either for free or for a fee. It’s even more challenging in remote areas where the commercial interest or profit to offer this type of information is limited or completely absent.

As a result, we are cautious about the sources of information we use!

I’m always happy to continue this conversation here or personally.

J.S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ozarker

Just signed up, hopefully they can tell me the places to avoid after November 7th, this year as we wander winter around the country.

WanderingBison

Just signed up, hopefully they can tell me the places to avoid after November 7th, this year as we wander winter around the country.

Happy to have you try the service and hear what you think @Ozarker.

You should have receive a screening questionnaire today. Let me know if you haven’t or if you have any questions.

We should be able to invite you in the next week if you complete the questionnaire.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
JS,

How will tonights solar storms affect the system?

"MEDIA ADVISORY: NOAA FORECASTS SEVERE SOLAR STORM; MEDIA AVAILABILITY SCHEDULED FOR FRIDAY, MAY 10
published: Thursday, May 09, 2024 23:02 UTC
For Immediate Release [May 9, 2024]
MEDIA ADVISORY
NOAA forecasts severe solar storm; media availability scheduled for May 10

NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) — a division of the National Weather Service — is monitoring the sun following a series of solar flares and coronal mass ejections (CMEs) that began on May 8. Space weather forecasters have issued a Severe (G4) Geomagnetic Storm Watch for the evening of Friday, May 10. Additional solar eruptions could cause geomagnetic storm conditions to persist through the weekend.
A large sunspot cluster has produced several moderate to strong solar flares since Wednesday at 5:00 am ET. At least five flares were associated with CMEs that appear to be Earth-directed. SWPC forecasters will monitor NOAA and NASA’s space assets for the onset of a geomagnetic storm.
CMEs are explosions of plasma and magnetic fields from the sun’s corona. They cause geomagnetic storms when they are directed at Earth. Geomagnetic storms can impact infrastructure in near-Earth orbit and on Earth’s surface, potentially disrupting communications, the electric power grid, navigation, radio and satellite operations. SWPC has notified the operators of these systems so they can take protective action. Geomagnetic storms can also trigger spectacular displays of aurora on Earth. A severe geomagnetic storm includes the potential for aurora to be seen as far south as Alabama and Northern California.
WHAT: Media availability via teleconference on the unfolding space weather event and Geomagnetic Storm Watch.
WHO: Experts from NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center
WHEN: Friday, May 10, 2024; 10 a.m. EDT
CALL-IN #: 630-395-0205
INTERNATIONAL (TOLL FREE): 800-988-9736
PASSCODE: 8186632
VIDEO
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dr2BIlDGDk&feature=youtu.be(link is external).
Video Caption: NOAA’s GOES-16 satellite captured the eruption from the sun that occurred around 2 p.m. EDT on May 9, 2024. Credit: NOAA
NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center is the official source for space weather forecasts, watches, warnings and alerts. Visit www.spaceweather.gov for updates. The public can subscribe to receive NOAA space weather alerts, warnings, and watch information at pss.swpc.noaa.gov.
Contact: Erica Grow Cei, erica.grow.cei@noaa.gov(link sends e-mail), 202-853-6088
NWS Public Affairs, NWS.PA@noaa.gov(link sends e-mail), 301-427-9000"

Thanks.

WanderingBison

[mention]Pacific Northwest yetti [/mention] Look at you being on top of it!

I didn’t even have a chance to finish the NWS conference call …

The short answer is that satellite operators, including Iridium which provides the network for Garmin and Zoleo, expect the possibility for minor disruptions to their network but not major impacts.

Minor disruptions essentially mean delays not a full disruption of service.

For GPS locations, I could lead to lower accuracy temporarily to the location you are provided by your device, and by extension the location we receive.

In extreme cases, it could also lead to damage to a satellite or certain components of a satellite but that is not expected at this point. The providers have also built some redundancy to allow traffic to be rerouted if that happened.

For us, it could lead to lower location accuracy and minor delays but nothing significant.

But this is a first for us, so we will be keeping an eye on our systems for signs of significant disruptions, either to our systems or our partners’ systems. And, as you’ve seen in the last few months, we make every effort to provide our users updates for any minor or more significant disruption to the alerts we provide you.

Of course, if you have any questions, let us know.

PS - We haven’t begun offering space severe weather alerts … maybe we should

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I am only on It, as I am tasked with sending out a company wide notification. And Risk Assessment. Figured it would be good to get your take on it.

We just expect buggy systems, as far as our coms and GPS tracking systems, and cell phones. And for our field staff to have redundancy for location, info and evac plans. Extra Static on radio coms, etc.
Thanks!

WanderingBison

Any progress in bringing your service to the Bivy? I'm leaving on my spring trip next week and it made me think about this.

Hope to have something to announce soon, but it might not be in time for your trip. Let me know when it is and maybe we can sneak you into the testing cycle if you’d like.

WanderingBison

Adiona Alert is excited to join the Overland community at Overland Expo PNW in Redmond, Oregon, from June 28th to 30th.

Come meet us, learn about our potentially life-saving alerts, and get answers to your questions about satellite communicators, severe weather, and how our alerts help you stay safe.

We will have exciting offers for new customers and a few other surprises.

We look forward to meeting some of our earliest users and making new friends there!

J.S.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Actually, I thought I was going to be. As my brothers Shop will have a booth there, and at PNW Rally. However, our mum just bought a house so I will stay here to get her all moved.

At some point, I am sure we will meet up. With any luck, it will be somewhere cool and in the middle of nowhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad